Tenants did a runner, giving me 2 days to clean up before the next tenant moves in.

My tenants gave me 2 weeks notice of intention to leave and handed in the keys 2 days before the next tenants move in.

Is this ok?
They did not mow the lawns, left dog ( not on lease) **** and rubbish everywhere, slight damage to house and did not exit clean or pest control.

The bond is not enough to cover the damage (rent, cleaners, pest, electrician, water etc etc.

What should I do?
As the notice was so late there were no available cleaners or yard people, so I did this myself along with other repairs. Rubbish will have to be collected after new tenants move in along with other repairs.

I'm mostly disappointed in the renter and now know the hardship landlords face.
As a previous renter, I always showed more respect to the house.
But it seems all I should have done was not pay rent and leave no room for bong collection.

Would you take this matter to court?
It would only be about $2-4000 worth of trouble and could settle on less.

My tenants gave me 2 weeks notice of intention to leave and handed in the keys 2 days before the next tenants move in.

Is this ok?
They did not mow the lawns, left dog ( not on lease) **** and rubbish everywhere, slight damage to house and did not exit clean or pest control.

The bond is not enough to cover the damage (rent, cleaners, pest, electrician, water etc etc.

What should I do?
As the notice was so late there were no available cleaners or yard people, so I did this myself along with other repairs. Rubbish will have to be collected after new tenants move in along with other repairs.

I'm mostly disappointed in the renter and now know the hardship landlords face.
As a previous renter, I always showed more respect to the house.
But it seems all I should have done was not pay rent and leave no room for bong collection.

Would you take this matter to court?
It would only be about $2-4000 worth of trouble and could settle on less.

Why so little notice? If they don't give enough notice then you can take them to tribunal for rent up to the period they should have given you notice. But as you found a new tenant I think at most that would be 2 days, so not worth it.

On one hand it was fortunate you were able to find new renters to move in so quickly but generally most people leave at least a week between so that there is time to get cleaners etc in.

If you have landlord insurance you would claim for this - but as you did the work yourself I'm not sure how it would work and they would wish for you to use the bond money first then they would pay the difference I believe.

then after you go to the effort of fixing it up they will say you didn't give them an opportunity to rectify the situation :mad:

When the tenants gave notice, we advertised immediately, found atennat and thought we had 4 days to inspect and di what beeds to be done. Problem was the old tenants did not contact my pm to advise that they had moved out- so we couldn't do anything- thus the 2 days notice to clean etc.
we did give the tenants time to fix and clean everything, they were just uncontactable.

How did the PM not know? They should've contacted the tenant when the keys weren't back.

They should've also gotten their own cleaner to do it and invoice so you could make a claim.

Here in Vic VCAT won't award for your cleaning time.

Here in Vic VCAT won't award for your cleaning time.

Same in South Australia. The RTT do not award for owners time. Only on invoices from registered businesses.

Vmack, you should be ok with the pest and carpet cleaning if you have invoices.

I'm assuming your new tenants inspected the property with the PM. Did the PM not notify you of the state of the property and try and address the issues before the tenant left?

I tend to agree with the comments relating to your PM being a little more proactive about it.

If the tenant's hadn't handed in the keys by 30mins prior to close of business the day they were to vacate the PM should have been calling them. If at the open for inspection when showing prospective tenants through the property was seen to be in a terrible state they should have tried to arrange a pre-vacating inspection and sold it to the tenants as something done to assist them with their move and speedy refund of their bond.

Were their routine inspections always ok? I must admit I tend to advise my landlords of a slightly longer time between tenants if the current tenant was a bit messy and problematic with rent payments. I know landlords don't like the longer vacancy, however, it helps avoid situations such as the one you find yourself in :(.

contact your LL insurance and discuss it with them, they may require you to go to tribunal and get an order for a pay out too depending on your policy. Then make your choice :).

I also understand if I clean between tenants I cannot claim it from tribunal but that if I pay a cleaner, we can claim it. It has never happened, so I've never had to find out for sure.

One upside is that whilst you've spent your own time cleaning, by doing that you've also gained a week's rent because you've made it rentable much earlier than if you had to arrange a cleaner and wait for them to fit it in. Maybe look on the (small) bright side.

We are lucky that we can charge for our time...and we are awarded whatever we claim for. (in Canada)

If we couldn't, we would open a cleaning business, and invoice ourselves.
There are legal ways around most problems.

Another thread that demonstrates how heavily weighed the available tenancy regulations and Tribunal decisions are towards the small percentage of problem tenants.

Thanks for your advice and threads. I'm not worried about payment on cleaning but damage done to blinds, fences and lights. I know I have to weigh the cost of the cleaning and mow. The tenants didn't contact the pm and just left the key in the garage. When inspections were done- the tenants were not there and the house looked 'tidy'. she obviously didnt go outside to see the dig poo. The only time communication was made apparently was the 2 week notice via email. I only knew the tenants left because I live nearby and tenants don't have any privacy settings on face book.

The pm thought the tenants moved interstate and left on monday. I'm not sure what tenants arranged with the pm- it was my constant emails that had the pm finally do an exit inspection- she was waiting for word from the tenants. That is the way isn't it? I respected that because tenants do have a say on what costs they wear.

Do you have invoices for the repairs?

Here, the tenant gives notice but the day it expires the PM should be chasing it up, not just waiting to hear from the tenant.

Repairs etc will be getting organized by PM around the new tenants. They moved in today, I only had yesterday arvo to clean and prepare.

Back