1.2 km walk to station...is that too much?

Hi guys,

Interested to know what is considered acceptable walk to station. Currently we are 800m and still drive (mostly - I know!!) and sometimes walk - which is easy.

How much distance is acceptable? It's difficult to choose a property when there are far few in between and the walk is anywhere around 1.2 km....That's making me cringe a bit even though walk is rare.

I know I'm lazy :eek:

Thanks,

MsAli

For me it would depend what else was close by. I've lived in plenty of suburbs where the walk to a train station would have been 1.2km but there were buses, cafes, shops, etc. close by.

Its a bit far. Sure, for fit young people it may be an easy 15 minute walk.

When its raining or in the middle of a blazing hot summer you'd wish you lived only half that distance tops.

I walk or cycle to the traino every day. About 1.5km. It really is nothing, and I'm a particularly unfit guy.

EDIT: I just stuck it into google maps and it's 2.2km. still nothing. I reckon 1.2 would be a breeze.

Last edited:
I think i'd base it more on time than distance. I'd walk it if it was a 15-20 minute walk. Depends on the surroundings as to how far that is (eg uphill, lots of car traffic to cross, lots of sidewalk traffic from cafes)

Depends on the market you're looking at as to whether they are fit young things or older- and the time the walk takes - rather than distance.

If it's a gentle 10min stroll then no probs - if it's a 15min power walk then no.

I'm about the same distance to the station and I drive to the station - takes not even 2 minutes! Takes about 20mins to walk and is great for keeping fit as it is up and down some big hills.

The last time I attempted to walk to the station the train was pulling up to the station so I stupidly made a run for it only to trip on some uneven footpath and hit the ground with my chin. I needed 3 stitches to patch it all up! :eek:

I walk or cycle to the traino every day. About 1.5km. It really is nothing, and I'm a particularly unfit guy.

EDIT: I just stuck it into google maps and it's 2.2km. still nothing. I reckon 1.2 would be a breeze.

IME for biking it's more about gradients than distance. I worked on a Habitat for Humanity project which was a 5km bike ride from Werribee station and it was nothing but it's billiard table flat out west. Working at the op shop it was a no-effort two minute ride from Heatherdale station and a seriously taxing (reflecting my [un]fitness) ten minute ride back. Or so it seemed.

We used to live about a km from the station and main shops, maybe a little more.

The walk was nothing, maybe 10-15mins, until I got pregnant and lazy :eek:

Last edited:
I'm about 700m which is ~10min casual walk for me.

I do sometimes wish I was closer but the extra walking doesn't hurt fitness wise!

I think it depends on the train station (Fast or Slow) and if it is a PPOR or an IP.

I would prefer the PPOR to be a bit further away from a station (about 1.5 kms).
However, I would prefer an IP to be lot close (less than 1 Km).

Generally I walk to Homebush station (slow trains) in about 10-12 mins (1.1 km) without any hesitation. Strathfield station is about 25mins (2kms). Sometimes it is worth doing the longer walk to Strathfield station than Homebush station. Very often that is the only exercise I get :mad:

In your case, I guess you can give a bit of more room if you are walking to Westmead compared to Wenty or Penty. Also it is better if the walk is more 'Perpendicular' than 'parallel' to the railway lines.

The western world has become fatter and lazier.

Therefore, if you are wondering about this distance from an IP and perspective tenants point of view - closer is better, but not right next door.

For yourself in your PPoR? If you have to ask, then it is too far.

I'd rather walk than have to find a car park, it takes the same amount of time. And think of all the wear and tear on the car going such short trips (says I who drives 3.5 klms to work each day).

Thanks...yep 1.2 km too long.

Lol Cimbom......it's also a 50 min train ride to city + 10 min walk from there....I'd be on the road for way too long if I started walking 20 x 2 min morning and evening + 50 x 2 train + 10 x2 = 160 min of travelling...!

MsAli,

I reckon I could carry you on my shoulders for that 1.2 km without breaking a sweat.

Its only too far for the old and frail.

I'd love a place close to station but this definitely limits the options! I say to my partner that any place as long as it's close to station (walking distance), and she's always complaining it is the worst requirement

Back