1 bedroom unit ideas please

hi,

I am in the middle of stripping out a 1 bedroom unit. It is about 37m2 inside with a bedroom, a bathroom ensuite, living area, and a kitchen also.

What things should i consider that may be appealing to someone buying a 1 bedroom unit. any particular layour...

I am considering changing from -

- bath tub - to shower for more space in bathroom
- more cupboard space above kitchen.
- floating floorboards instead of carpet.
- mirrored sliding cupboard doors in bedrooms
- kitchen layout to have a space for a friday

i know its all pretty straight forward, but any ideas that may be really simple that i could do now....
whilst i am in the planning stage..

Check with the BC before laying floating floors. Unless on ground floor, there may be regulations regarding noise transferrence to units below.
Marg

Keneth,

I'm about 2-3 weeks away from completely gutting and renovating a 1 bedroom flat in Queanbeyan. It is a 35m2 flat. I have listed below some of the improvements I made and some of the existing fixtures I decided to keep to keep costs down.

Bathroom - thought of removing the bath and replacing with shower, but decided the cost would be prohibitive. I re-tiled above the bath/shower, leaving the existing tiles around the bath support wall and skirting as feature, ... installed a frameless shower screen on top of the bath, new vanity cupboard, new tap fittings, mirrors, towel fittings and painted. It looks great, ... really clean and modern.

New vanity (800mm, 3 drawer, 2 door), ceramic sink and mixer tap only $300 from an auction house. (Quote to install this unit and redo drainage and fit $450 .... I did myself).
Frameless screen/fitted =$800
Taps for shower/bath = $60

Bedroom - built a built in robe unit from scratch with sliding doors, shelving and basket draw systems and hanging space. Quote to buy and have installed $2500, ...... I built myself from scratch for $700.

Kitchen - I ripped out half the kitchen and bought a flat pack to add to it, including wall and fridge units. I will be painting the old part with "White Knight" laminate paint to match new cupboard units. Also replaced all benchtops and cupboard door handles. Total cost $1600 for a new kitchen and benchtop. Brand new gas stove $645 (stand alone unit)

Also re-tiled above sink and added wall tiles to splash-back area behind stove and behind fridge. I have kept the existing sink as it was in good condition, but replaced the taps. Oh yeah, ... I also added a rangehood for $250 (fitted myself into wall units).

The reason I kept part of the old kitchen was that it had one of those small 60ltr HWS in the corner cupboard near the sink and it would have been a pain and expensive to remove and relocate, so I've designed it so that when if breaks and needs replacing in the future, the plumber can still get easy access to work on it.

Floor surfaces - I'm having new vinyl (kitchen) and carpet (living, dining, bedroom) put down at the end when the painting is finished.

I couldn't see the point in a floating timber floor as I'm not convinced they hold up to heavy traffic and scratching, plus they tend to be noisy..... I prefer good commercial quality carpet. Carpet and vinyl cost $1300 fully installed.

Bathroom floor - existing tiles will be scrubed and cleaned up to save cost. They match in very well, so no need to replace.

Lighting - only have to change two lights fittings to improve the look.

All up the reno will have cost me around $8000 - $8500 to completely renovate the 35m2 flat/unit. It will add $70 per week to the rent and approx $50,000 - $60,000 to the value. The place will look brand new when finished.

My main point is that the cost add's up very quickly, so don't get caught up over capitalizing by doing none essential improvements. Shop around and haggle to get best prices.

Oh yeah, ..... the only work I haven't done is electrical and installing the frame-less shower screen, ..... all other work inc plumbing the vanity I have done myself to save cost.

The details above are a bit jumbled, but I hope the info helps you.

Martin .... :p

Last edited:
Hey Martin

Great to hear that it's all done. Post some finished pictures please.

The result in terms of additional rent and value is fantastic. And by doing most the work yourself, you've saved heaps. How many weeks did it take you to finish ?

We are looking to reno our 3 bedder next weekend and was doing a search
on 'vinyl' for the floors intead of carpet.

I'm wondering if vinyl will suit the lounge and kitchen areas better with carpet for the bedrooms. Checked out both yesterday and I thought the commercial grade vinyl besides looking good but keep off stains / dirt etc.

Keneth - sorry to hijack this thread ..what does 'kitchen layout to have space for a Friday' mean Hope it all goes well. Things like plumbing and electrical costs can be far higher than you think so over budget for those.

Cherry Pro, ..... always good to chat. Almost finished, .... just some finishing off to do ... a couple of weeks and it should all be done.

I didn't spend full time on the project as my wife was very sick. I could only manage an average of 2 days per week, so it took much longer than anticipated. Started in August from memory.

I will get some before/after pictures to you when its all finished.

Good luck with your project as well.

Martin

Floor surfaces - I'm having new vinyl (kitchen) and carpet (living, dining, bedroom) put down at the end when the painting is finished.
Martin .... :p

Hi Martin

How much do you think it will cost to paint? Are you doing the painting or hiring someone? I have a 41 sqm unit I'm thinking of painting.

Hi Martin

How much do you think it will cost to paint? Are you doing the painting or hiring someone? I have a 41 sqm unit I'm thinking of painting.

From memory Kim .....

Ceiling (badly stained with grease smoke after washing) 4ltr enamel undercoat - approx $60.
Use rest of enamel undercoat for doors, frames and skirting
Ceiling 1 x coats of low sheen acrylic. approx 4 ltr - $60 (British paints)
Walls 2 x coats of low sheen acrylic. approx 10 ltr - $120 (British paints)
Window frames, doors, frames and skirting: 2 ltr - approx $50 (Dulux)
Plus .. couple of tubes of no more gaps and sandpaper - approx $20

All up around $310 for materials. I did the painting myself as I'm an ex-tradesman painter. Size of unit 35m2 ..... Walls are Bessar Block bricks.

You can probably use a cheaper brand of paint Kim, but I don't like skimping on quality when it comes to paint, ... plus I always use enamel based paints for doors, skirting, windows etc.

Oh yeah, .... I used same colour for ceiling and walls except for one feature wall to add some variety. It was an off white (grey tone). Looks great.

Martin ... :rolleyes:

All up the reno will have cost me around $8000 - $8500 to completely renovate the 35m2 flat/unit. It will add $70 per week to the rent and approx $50,000 - $60,000 to the value. The place will look brand new when finished.

Kudos for your plan and doing as much d.i.y
Looking forward to seeing photos once its done :)

I came across this thread again today and it reminded me that some of you asked me to post some before & after pictures of the finished project,

Old Bathroom1.jpg
I was going to remove the orange tiles, but I ended up re-grouting and cleaning them.

kitchen gone.jpg
I removed part of the original kitchen.

removing the grease.jpg
The grease and smoke stains were very bad throughout.

See next post for the "after" pictures

Okay, ... here are some pic's of the finished project ...

Lounge.jpg
Feature wall

Bathroom.jpg
As you can see the orange tiles were kept as a feature

Open plan.jpg
Finished kitchen, stove, blinds and floorcoverings

We sold the unit in one week for full asking price and no conditions, ... the buyer even gave away the cooling off period.

The final total for the project after I added up all costs was $9,000, but it added many times more than that to the sale price.

Back