1 million posts on Somersoft!

Sim

Administrator
It seems that some time on Friday afternoon, we passed the 1,000,000 post mark here on Somersoft.

It is pretty much impossible to determine which was the millionth post, since deleted spam posts, duplicate posts and such, all make it very difficult to calculate.

Every post has a unique ID associated with it, and these IDs increment automatically with each new post. We actually passed the post with the ID 1000000 back in February, but that wasn't really the millionth legitimate post.

The best I can calculate (and it is a bit of a guess), is that this post from Propertunity at 3:40pm EST on Friday was the millionth post.

I've created chart showing posts per month since the beginning of the Webboard version of the forum (Somersoft v2) in March 2001. It took us 39 months (just over 3 years) to reach 100,000 posts, and then less than 2 years (ie 23 months) to reach 200,000 posts.

500,000 posts came in 96 months (8 years from launch of Webboard version) and 1,000,000 posts has taken us 147 months (12 years, 3 months).

At our current average of around 10,000 posts per month, it should take us 100 months (8 years, 4 months) to reach 2,000,000 posts.

Of course, if we just let people talk about politics and religion as much as they wanted, we would probably be at 5,000,000 posts already :rolleyes: :D

Attachments

• somersoft posts per month - 1000000.png
    somersoft posts per month - 1000000.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 319
An impressive achievement and kudos to Sim and the Somers for maintaining this valuable resource.

Does Propertunity get a free watch or something?

Here's something I haven't done for a while - comparing the posts per month of the top posters on Somersoft.

Attached is the chart for the top 5 posters, geoffw, Rolf Latham, alexlee, Aaron Sice, and lizzie.

Attachments

• top 5 posters - average posts per month.png
    top 5 posters - average posts per month.png
    90 KB · Views: 323
So even with the number of posts I have, I'm responsible for only 1.7% of the posts on the forum.

Which shows how much of a community contribution we have.

Here is the chart for the next top 5 posters, The Y-man, wylie, Sunfish, Aaron_C, and Bayview.

Attachments

• top 5 posters #2 - average posts per month.png
    top 5 posters #2 - average posts per month.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 273
Chart for the 3rd group of top posters, Propertunity, Ausprop, Rixter, Dazz and skater:

Attachments

• top 5 posters #3 - average posts per month.png
    top 5 posters #3 - average posts per month.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 263
How far down the list before we see your name Sim? :)

I'm down to #17 now ... see final chart with Aceyducey, Sim, redwing, RumpledElf, and WinstonWolfe

Attachments

• top 5 posters #4 - average posts per month.png
    top 5 posters #4 - average posts per month.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 256
Well done Sim and all involved in maintaining this site and terrific forum!

Now; if I can just post something useful......:)

Can you please give the top (kudos/posts)? This could indicate who the gurus are :)
When people could view the kudos ranking, some groups of people started actively soliciting kudos, and gave each other kudos, to raise their rankings ("kudos ramping"). The ability to rank was taken away.

The fact of some kudos dots gives some idea of logevity at minimum. After that, I guess you decide yourself who is more valuable to you- you get to know peoples' style, strengths and weaknesses as they fit in with your own unique situation.

Okay, one last chart - this one shows recently prolific posters.

I looked at who has made the most posts over the past 12 months (ignoring anyone already in the top 20) and then charted their overall average posts-per month since they joined.

Featured on this chart are: Terry_w, westminster, DaveM, MTR, TheFinanceShop, PT_Bear, and kathryn d

Attachments

• recently prolific posters - average posts per month.png
    recently prolific posters - average posts per month.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 279
Can you please give the top (kudos/posts)? This could indicate who the gurus are :)

As geoffw mentioned, kudos doesn't necessarily indicate "guruism" - it is merely a way of people showing their appreciation for the posts being made.

In some cases, people give kudos because they agree with what was said, some times they give kudos because they found it helpful. It isn't only awarded because of being useful in relation to property investment - it may even be for simply telling a funny joke.

So please don't read too much into the kudos rankings.

I've done a database query to find how many times users have been awarded kudos - the attached chart shows the top 20.

Note that this is simply a count of the number of times they received kudos, it does not translate to their "kudos score" (which is represented by the number of green dots on their profile). The kudos score is a complicated calculation based on the reputation of the person giving it, how long they have been a member, how many posts they have made, and so on. So receiving kudos from someone like geoffw, who has been a member for a long time and has made a lot of posts, is worth a lot more kudos points than if you get kudos from someone new to the site.

The chart below does not show that - it's just a raw count of the number of times people have given kudos, regardless of their own "kudos power". Think of it in the same way as Facebook "likes" work. The chart below can be considered a count the number of "likes" a person has received.

Note that the next version of Somersoft will no longer use Kudos - it will have a simple likes mechanism, so this chart is more meaningful going forwards than any current kudos scores people have.

Also remember that soliciting kudos is a bannable offence.

Attachments

• users most kudos.png
    users most kudos.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 304
Back