1 million posts on Somersoft!

Finally, since people who have been members for longer (and have made more posts) are more likely to have attracted more kudos, I've done another chart showing those members who have received the most kudos per post they've made.

This chart only includes people who have received kudos at least 100 times and shows the number of times kudos was received per 1,000 posts they made.

Obviously the fewer posts you made to get your kudos, the higher up you would be. For example, Corsa has received kudos 118 times and only made 562 posts, hence the very high ratio.

Once again, a reminder that this only indicates that our members like the posts that these people make - it doesn't necessarily indicate expertise or knowledge.

Attachments

• users most kudos per post.png
    users most kudos per post.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 161
It's interesting how the peak of posts coincided with the peak of the cycle.

Yes, the chart show quite clearly a plateau in post traffic starting around the time of the GFC.

Of course, this only tells part of the story. Another telling factor is the site traffic - since the vast majority of the traffic on the site is from "guests" (ie people who are not signed in to the forums) or from "lurkers" (members who don't post), there are a large number of people viewing the site without directly contributing.

Interestingly, since the beginning of 2013, site traffic has grown over 25% (and is still growing). To me, that indicates a surge in interest in real estate - which I think generally corresponds to an upswing in the property markets.

Of course, there are a lot of factors which influence site traffic - especially with such a large volume of traffic being of search engine origin, any tweaks that Google might make to their index and rankings will also have a significant impact on how much traffic we see.

Either way - it is interesting to observe these trends.

Unfortunately, I don't have site traffic data for the 2007 - 2009 period to test whether there is any correlation between traffic and the impact of the GFC.

Okay, one last chart - this one shows recently prolific posters.

I looked at who has made the most posts over the past 12 months (ignoring anyone already in the top 20) and then charted their overall average posts-per month since they joined.

Featured on this chart are: Terry_w, westminster, DaveM, MTR, TheFinanceShop, PT_Bear, and kathryn d

Thanks, very much appreciated.

When people could view the kudos ranking, some groups of people started actively soliciting kudos, and gave each other kudos, to raise their rankings ("kudos ramping"). The ability to rank was taken away.

The fact of some kudos dots gives some idea of logevity at minimum. After that, I guess you decide yourself who is more valuable to you- you get to know peoples' style, strengths and weaknesses as they fit in with your own unique situation.

Thanks for the explanation, did not realise this.
Kudo ramping - that's certainly a new one.

I looked at who has made the most posts over the past 12 months (ignoring anyone already in the top 20) and then charted their overall average posts-per month since they joined.

Featured on this chart are: Terry_w, westminster, DaveM, MTR, TheFinanceShop, PT_Bear, and kathryn d

Wow I did not think I posted that much - do I need to shut up? :)

I need to post less :)

Nope ... provided you aren't posting spuriously (a bit like geoffw with his jokes in early days - he has toned it down a bit recently :p ) ... I think the contribution is valuable to the community.

I say: keep up the good work :D

I am trying to refrain from replying to trolls by a medically inclined forum member... that will cut down my count I think. Trouble is I cannot abide stupidity :)

LOL

Sim you know you want to give me moderator access dont you... would solve all our problems and cure world peace.

:D

How long will it take to hit 2million posts? Any predictions/

8 years, 4 months (100 months) :p

That's at an average of 10,000 posts per month, which we are slightly below right now - so I'm counting on an upswing in traffic to reach that level.

I'm hoping the new version of Somersoft will encourage more posting from more posters, which should help towards that goal.

Note that the next version of Somersoft will no longer use Kudos - it will have a simple likes mechanism

So will it look something like this board where the total amount of "likes" per thread are displayed at the top and people can see which member "liked" a particular post?

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/82/thread263558.html

If so, I think it's better than the current setup because people can't see which posts attracted the kudos and this makes it a bit meaningless.

Last edited:
Back