1 million posts on Somersoft!

Obviously we are not that important :p

Ha ... not quite ... I have some new forums which were built using earlier versions XenForo, so were a simple upgrade rather than a more complex migration.

None of my vBulletin-based sites have been migrated yet, I've been waiting for this release which fixes some of the limitations around moderation capabilities in the back-end.

I will possibly try migrating InvestEd first, since that gets a lot less traffic than Somersoft, and so will be a bit more forgiving if I mess it up. It makes for a good test environment. Also, moderation is a lot easier on InvestEd (because of less traffic), and that's the area I need to do the most work for Somersoft.

My ZooChat forum will be last, because that's going to take months of work due to the very high degree of customisation of the existing site - it will not be a trivial exercise at all!

If a post is made from a mobile device it would be good if the new software can make a signature at the bottom informing people the post was made from a mobile device.

Personally, I've never seen the point of that. What does it matter if someone posts using a mobile device?

35% of traffic to the site already comes from mobile or tablet devices ... in the past 30 days: 20% mobile + 15% tablet.

I think the main reason / benefit is so that others realise if there are auto correct typos or the brevity of their post indicates the same. It would also stop people from writing things like "I'm writing this from my iPhone" :rolleyes:

Actually - now that I look at the stats, it seems we've just set a new record for highest number of posts in a month!

July 2013, we made 12,902 posts, beating our previous high of 12,881 in September 2008. Previous 2nd highest post count (and only other time we've passed 12,000 posts in a month) was March 2009 with 12,642 posts.

Out of interest, what's the size of the database Sim?

You mean the amount of storage space it takes up?

According to phpMyAdmin, the tables currently use over 1.8GB

There's a bit of scope for optimisation though - the users table contains a lot of spam-bot registrations that I need to clean up. Search indexes are also pretty inefficient currently. Will be moving to an Elastic Search server when we migrate to XenForo.

The daily SQL dump currently consumes 387MB compressed, this gets copied to several locations for backup purposes.

Well Done to Us.

Winner : Prop gets lifetime free membership!!

Seriously, what a great institution.

Jan and Ian Somers deserve recognition for funding the only place I know where you can get real, fair and free advice with a charge let alone being pestered with sales pitch emails.

And well Sim in just great!

Peter

Sim, I'm also having trouble viewing random images from the user gallery on iOS. When an image is clicked on, I'm presented with a mobile optimised menu, but no image. Hopefully the new software addresses this?

Sim, I'm also having trouble viewing random images from the user gallery on iOS. When an image is clicked on, I'm presented with a mobile optimised menu, but no image. Hopefully the new software addresses this?

The gallery software we currently use is very, very old. I haven't yet decided what I want to do in regards to replacing it.

There is a newer version of the gallery software which works with the new forum software we are migrating to - but I've been unhappy with how the gallery operates in general.

Will need to think about this some more.

The gallery software we currently use is very, very old. I haven't yet decided what I want to do in regards to replacing it.

There is a newer version of the gallery software which works with the new forum software we are migrating to - but I've been unhappy with how the gallery operates in general.
G'Day Sim,

Did I read up above you're considering the move to Xenforo? If you want to bounce any questions off me shoot an email through.

I admin www.greenandgoldrugby.com - I've migrated it a few times, from smf -> vbulletin 3 -> vbulletin 4 (MISTAKE!) -> xenforo. About to go to xenforo 1.2, need to reskin it first.

Back