10 IP's - Best Insurance

Hi - i am after advice and or recommendation on a good insurance company for a portfolio of 9 residential IP's in NSW plus one commercial property. The commercial is a two storey building with a hairdresser tenant on a long lease -I am currently paying a large public liability premium on that and the tenant is also paying this. It seems like we are doubling up on this issue and I wonder what others do.

I am just after basic insurance for the residential but I am in NZ and although I can make the equiries from here a heads up will save me many hours talking to call centre employees in india. Any ideas appreciated.

Would you be better to go through a broker, who can do the legwork and homework for you? Once you get his answer, ring the company direct and check what it would cost you privately.

I am not sure how insurance brokers are paid, and recently the best car insurance our broker could get for us, I still got a better deal myself, but worth a phone call perhaps?

Wylie

Brokers are good

I'll second what Wylie says...we use an Insurance Broker, (we are in Vic), they charge $40 for brokerage fee, we just had our first claim, kept us informed, chased things up..we get a discount for having so much insurance..able to pay monthly instead of one big wack yearly, probably all stuff you could do with direct contact with Ins company, but I found them ever so helpful because we were starting out..knew little and picked their brains because they've been around the block a few times :)
Suits us.

On one property I went thru an insurance broker, and were very happy with the CGU policy I got, and extremely happy when I had to make a claim. Then the broker sold out part of their business to another company, and now I can't reinsure with CGU, as I would have to go with their new ins coy.:(

So I'm in the market for a new broker that can source a variety of coy's and get me a better deal.

Are there any ins brokers on SS?

Last edited:
""Are there any ins brokers on SS?""
yep...

""I am not sure how insurance brokers are paid, and recently the best car insurance our broker could get for us, I still got a better deal myself, but worth a phone call perhaps?""
insurance company pays us commission, and generally charge a nominal fee. so perhaps the client pays $30 for a simple property or vehicle cover. pretty cheap considering all the service you get. oh, and we are bound to disclose all our remuneration.
you likely got a cheaper price, with home/motor/landlords this is not surprising. brokers get the superior product, often costing a touch more than the mass marketed public product.

don and liz.....best and easiest means is to package the 9, plus a separate commercial policy. you would not likely be easily ablt to do this by talking to any insurance company im afraid.

Back