100% home loan

hi guys, looking for some advice or direction

my step-son has just recently turned 18 and has only been employed (in my fathers business) for the past 2 months. His employment is obviously secure, even though short.

He does not have a deposit, but his commencement salary is $72,000 p.a gross and he qualifies for FHOG and any stamp duty concessions available in victoria (he could save around $2500 per month for the next few months if need be). he is very determined to get his own place as soon as he can

My wife and I are not in a position to assist him at this moment.

what would he qualify for.. he has been looking at a house for around $370k, he has also mentioned he would have people who would board with him should he require further income to support this amount

thanks in advance
jason

This may sound harsh, but why doesn't he have a deposit? And just how realistic is that $72k salary? That is, if it wasn't a family business would he get that salary?

Ignoring that for a moment, I would tell him to save for 6 months and see how much money he can put together. With a 105% home loan (5% for costs), assuming he can get it, for a $370k place would involve a negative cashflow of something like $8k AFTER tax. Can he handle that? If you say yes, how do you know? That's why I would suggest he save for 6 months first just to see how much he can save.

Personally, I think for someone with no experience with property, just starting out working (admittedly on a very high salary) with no savings history....$370k is a lot.

The FHOG can be kept, you know. Even if he buys an IP and pays full stamp duty he can use the PPOR later.
Alex

well he doesnt have a deposit because he just entered employment.

He is receiving from what I gather around $5k more than he would elsewhere. He is not just employed because he's a family member but because of his skillsets (IT)

he has been looking on the net and punched his salary into various online calculators. this is where he gets this figure from.

from that he has looked around and found a place for sale that he is very interested in in that range (pretty normal thing to do?)

I have also suggested he wait a little while and spoke with him from an advice perspective, but I also said I will endeavour to find out his specific options based on the info provided.

He is no dill (he's also made around $3k this month from online business he just set-up a few months back as well, but at this point in time is re-investing that money online)

jason

Hiya Jason

Most 100 % loan providers will want the fathers financials, thence the 18 year old would have a reasonable chance of a bite at a 100 % lend ( minus lmiand costs) after say 6 mths work history.

Tis not a normalish one...............Alex's suggestion holds merit I feel

ta
rolf

Hi Jason

The online calculators have broken many a heart!

For a purchase of $370,000, your step-son will need to have about $20,000 of his own money plus the FHOG of $10,000 to pay for stamps, legal fees, the lender’s risk fee and other fees and charges.

Many borrowers think they can borrow lots of money, but what they forget is that borrowing and buying are two completely different kettles of fish.

If his serviceability is strong, or if someone is willing to gift him the $20,000, then there is still the matter of his short employment history to contend with, and the circumstances of his employment.

Assuming that he is buying the property alone – and this is particularly important if he is applying for the first home owners incentives, then there are other ways of raising the deposit, such as the Fast Track / Family Pledge / Family Guarantee options, whereby someone else puts up some equity with a limited guarantee. He is responsible for all the borrowings, but the loan against ‘his’ property is 80%LVR and the loan secured against ‘someone else’s’ property is sufficient to provide Funds to Complete.

For example, if the property is $370,000 plus costs of $30,000, then for a $400,000 loan he would need $500,000 equity.

His property would support a loan of $296,000, and the other property would support a loan of $104,000. He would pay both loans. There would be no Lender’s Risk Fee as the LVR would be at or below 80% for his property.

Regarding working for the Family Company, there are various extra documents which need to be provided for this, however a working history of less than six months, unless he is a Graduate of some kind, would probably not get him a loan in his own right. I would suggest, as Alexlee has, that he decide on what purchase price he is comfortable with, how much shortfall he will have, and save that shortfall.

When No #2 Son bought his first property on his 18th Birthday, he was still working on Trainee Wages of $280 per week. He was approved for a loan of $148,500 in less than eight hours as he had a savings history showing that he had saved the equivalent of the mortgage payment every week for 18 months.

If your step-son can save the required contribution ie about $20,000 during the next six months then he will have earned his stripes and most likely the loan.

By the way, I recently had a customer, highly qualified, who had worked for his employer for eighteen months. He was not approved to borrow more than 95% plus LRF as his employment was less than two years. By the time he found a suitable property, he had been with the employer 21 months, and had also received a pay rise. He was granted a 97% plus LRF loan but I had to apply for an exemption for that as his employment history was still less than 24 months (23 months at date of settlement).

Regarding 106% loans, there are a few lenders which will go to this level, but they have very strict lending criteria as they are fully exposed to the risk, and insist on two years tax returns.

There really is no substitute for a little patience and a lot of saving. If he can’t save for the special purpose of simply proving that he can, then he may not be able to carry the day in, day out, burden of a mortgage of that size.

As you know, there is more to a mortgage than the monthly payments. No #2 Son recently had to replace the gas wall furnace which was $1,000 he wasn’t expecting to pay, and being winter, he was given only two weeks notice to replace the heater.

There is a lot of wisdom in the old saying of ‘Hasten Slowly’. He may have looked around and found a house he likes, but the opportunity of a life time comes around every Tuesday, and now that he is thinking this way, by Autumn he will have saved some money and found an even better house!

Cheers

Kristine

By the way, I know of only one lender which will take ‘board’ into account as income. Board is not an enforceable arrangement and cannot be relied on. If he is calculating his ability to service the loan on the basis of renting bedrooms to mates then he is occupying a different reality. Once they leave (usually, to ‘go back home’ where they don’t pay board and Mum does the ironing and cooks the dinner) then your lad could be stranded very high up the financial beach.

wow kristine

thanks for taking the time to put that all down

I assume you are saying that if i were to allow security to 20% of the house value on my property he would qualify under a low doc for 80% borrow??

thanks to rolf and alex for their contribution also

jason

In most cases a 100% loan is really a 97% loan with the mortgage insurnace or risk fee added (to a total of 100%).

What this means is that to settle the property, you need a 3% deposit, plus the purchase costs, which in Victoria is roughly 5%.

You also need the money to pay for additional expenses such as conveyancing, searches and various inspections.

To purchase a property worth $370,000 in Victoria, an estimate of total settlement cost would thus be $30,000. The First Home Owners Grant is worth $10,000, so your son would need $20,000 to purchase this property.

These figures are estimates (there are several variable), but a little on the generous side, you he'd probably get some change from $20,000.

As Rolf mentioned, the lenders would look at this application with a very powerful microscope.

Fundcorp $45k secured by cavet

Hi Jason,

You son's biggest issue is not a lack of a deposit but the lack of stable/long employment. This can be overcome though - Carrington National (high interest rates though) and other (Bluestone, Liberty Financial) could do the deal. A potential strategy could be as follows:

Step 1: Fundcorp loan secured by cavet
Apply for a loan with Fundcorp (a subsidiary of Macquarie Bank) through his broker. They will lend up to $45k on top of another lenders mortgage, as a personal loan secured not by a 2nd mortgage but by cavet on the property he is buying.

A cavet is a notice given to the Land Titles Office requesting that a restriction be placed on the property. (This is automatic and you will need to contest the cavet to have it removed)

A maximum of $45k (per property) can be approved. AFTER he buys the property and the mortgage is lodged, Fundcorp will lodge their cavet which prevents him from refinancing the mortgage or drawing any equity out until he has paid out Fundcorp (eg, he could roll Fundcorp's loan into the mortgage as the property's equity grows).

Step 2: Unsecured bank loan
He can then apply for an unsecured personal loan of say $10k. He may need to state what the purpose of the loan is. He can say it will use it to consolidate existing debt. To do this, he needs to have credit card limits of $10k. Withdraw $10k from the credit cards, get the loan approved and cheques made out to repay the credit cards. Immediate pay down the credit cards with the $10k. He then have a $10k debt (c12%) and no (additional) credit card debt (c18%). Alternatively, just get a St George credit card at 10% (though he mightn't get the $10k limit immediately).

So, he now has a 'deposit' of $55k for a property purchase ($10k in the bank and $45k from Fundcorp that will be transferred to his solicitor's trust account - he can't directly access this $45k).

Step 3: 80-85% Loan to Value loan
In your son's case, apply for an 80% LVR loan. He will still need to pay for the c5% closing costs, so I'd recommend borrowing at 85% and using the remaining funds from the $60k to pay for closing costs. There will be a small LMI charge, which he can 'add' to the interest rate and not have to pay up front.

So, it MAY be possible for him to 105% finance the property. The interest rate will be higher than the usual 7.6% deal though.

All the best to him,

Flynn

[email protected]

Hi Jason,

Following up on my earlier comment. The strategy I'm suggesting is higher risk for you, in that it involves higher monthly repayments. Now this can be offset by saving your deposit as a buffer but it you spend it or otherwise don't have one - the strategy is high risk.

Also, it's a strategy for a rising market so you'll need to do your research (and I mean a lot of research) to make sure you are comfortable the area won't suddenly go backwards and has strong fundamental reasons for continued growth.

All the best!

Flynn

Hi Jason,

Following what the other guys have said, in most cases, there is a way to get finance if you're willing to put up with higher rates or fees or both etc.

On my last property, I had to jump through hoops to no end, because of employment circumstances, sell my house inside of a week, get a top up on one of our IPs... it has been a fun ride!

This particular property wasn't an IP, it was a new PPOR, and I fell in love with it - total emotional decision. My dream street, in my dream area with my dream house at a huge bargain!

Aside from those circumstances though, in most cases, it does hold true that the bargain of the century comes along every week. If there's no pressing reason to get finance right this second, he's possibly better off to wait.

I do think there is a place for 100% loans, in some circumstances, but given your son's short term employment, it's likely that saving a deposit may be the best way for him.

He sounds really determined and sounds to have his head screwed on very well, so I'm sure he will do well in his investing. For the sake of four months, he could probably get a lower cost loan, plus have had a good look at what it's really like to put away that money every week.

Good luck with it all!

Lia

Back