15-25km from Melbourne

Hi All
I am trying to locate areas in Melbourne within 15-25 km, properties on larger blocks which can be subdivided. ($300,000-350,000 range)

I was purchasing in Glenroy/Broadmeadows but as this has now gone through the roof I need to find other areas.

I have spent quite a bit of time researching and Braybrook was another but I think possibly too expensive now.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Thanks for help
Cheers, MTR

Hi All
I am trying to locate areas in Melbourne within 15-25 km, properties on larger blocks which can be subdivided. ($300,000-350,000 range)

Thanks for help
Cheers, MTR

Hi MTR,

Laverton in Melbourne's West would fit your criteria. Laverton is approximately 17kms from Melbourne's CBD. The train line passes right through the suburb and the station is in Zone one which is attractive to tenants/owner occupiers.

There are old houses on large blocks which can be subdivided.

Not sure about tenant quality though. (But this probably won't worry you too much if you are planning to subdivide and sell).

Regards Jason.

Hi All

Thanks for help
Cheers, MTR

Whats your definition of "larger block" >1000sqm, I doubt that you will get any block bigger than 700sqm on the price you mentioned.
Try Hoppers Crossing_3029 or surrounding area.
Goodluck anyway.......

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=45808315&s=vic&tm=1251364239

KK

Hoppers meets the price requirements but is a touch further than 25km from the CBD. I agree with Laverton.

Closer-in areas to consider include Sunshine (if you can get anything), Sunshine West, Sunshine North, Ardeer or St Albans.

Further north you've got Broady, Westmeadows, Dallas and Coolaroo.

All are low socio-economic areas and have amongst Melbourne's lowest incomes.

On the other side of the freeway from Laverton is Altona Meadows. Not sure about the block sizes and it's probably above budget.

On the other side of the freeway from Laverton is Altona Meadows. Not sure about the block sizes and it's probably above budget.

Block sizes in Altona Meadows are on average high 400sqm. (Small). There is still some vacant land (but not much) and there is a double block selling with planning approved for townhouses, which, if you had the equity, would have been a good buy. (Someone else agrees with me, it's under contract!) I believe the blocks were selling for $300k each. (Not sure of exact price, but that's what a real estate agent told me).

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...r=&cc=&c=36730609&s=vic&snf=ras&tm=1251371415

Laverton is not a nice place at all.

There is no community feel about it.

It is all industrial. I would not wish it upon anyone to live in Laverton.

Just my opinion from having to drive there for work.

If it meets your investment criterias then great. There is nothing attractive about laverton apart from its one of the cheapest suburbs in melbourne, but for good reason.

Laverton is not a nice place at all.

There is no community feel about it.

I agree that it appears to have a weak centre as a suburb - the shopping strip is all but abandoned and the only community you'll get is if you volunteer for the op-shop. All the other shopping is away from the suburb's centre, ie at Aviation Road, over the freeway at Central Square, or even miles away at Werribee Plaza or Altona Gate.

But you could argue same about 'suburbs' like Gowanbrae or Waterways - both with even fewer facilities than Laverton. However the consolidation of schools may or may not provide a central focus (for parents) in the future.

It is all industrial.

You're confusing it with Laverton North, which is very industrial and contains a lot of employment.

Laverton itself is the residential portion between Old Geelong Rd and Princes Freeway. It contains almost nothing else but houses, an active shopping strip at Aviation Rd and a near-derelict one at Woods St. The RAAF Base is there and the new Williams Landing development is just beyond there.

The housing stock varies - the part nearer Old Geelong Rd seems to be better (on average) than the part near Woods St. But the latter is handier to things.

apart from its one of the cheapest suburbs in melbourne, but for good reason

Whatever the popular prejudice about the area (most people would agree with you) it's still appreciated, and with dearer suburbs all around it could become another Braybrook or West Heidelberg (terrible demographics re average incomes, but quite high house prices compared to some suburbs further out).

Hoppers meets the price requirements but is a touch further than 25km from the CBD. I agree with Laverton.

Closer-in areas to consider include Sunshine (if you can get anything), Sunshine West, Sunshine North, Ardeer or St Albans.

Further north you've got Broady, Westmeadows, Dallas and Coolaroo.

All are low socio-economic areas and have amongst Melbourne's lowest incomes.

Have looked at Coolaroo, unfortunately hard to find anything that is subdividable. Dallas, mostly irregular blocks.
Broadmeadows was ideal as the Council is pro-development and my architect has told me that he can get DAs through the door within 3 months.

Laverton - how bad is bad?? I am looking at areas where builders/developers are jumping? As areas change significantly when this happens.

I was also told Broadmeadows was very bad area however it has had phenomenal growth. You can easily develop in this area, builders/developers buying up. I purchased in Coburg, period home, great street, has had great growth but Broady has left it for dead in a shorter time frame.

I actually like the ugly duckling areas now as I think there may be a way of making more money, just have to try to leave the emotion out of it.

I'll look at Sunshine West/North, Laverton.

Thanks everyone for help and any other suggestions would be great.

I just working at it something will come along.

Cheers, MTR

After some phone calls I can say that Sunshine is now too expensive, around $400,000 to get something and very little stock.

Laverton area is changing rapidly. For last three years I can see the price is moving fast and will soon catch up. Last year I could see price close to 230 and now it close to 300 and further the price was close to 200 three years back. New development is happening with close area all getting developed so fast. I think it is just matter of time when you will see all the price had gone up.

Hi All

I was purchasing in Glenroy/Broadmeadows but as this has now gone through the roof I need to find other areas.

I have spent quite a bit of time researching and Braybrook was another but I think possibly too expensive now.

Thanks for help
Cheers, MTR
I agree with Jingo, one word "Laverton"

What about Meadow Heights? The blocks are 600m2 on average and the area will have its own brand new train station (in few months hopefully).

The median price is still in $350k.

Then again I live here and it feels as safe as Brunswick, probably even safer.

I thought there were very few properties that are suitable for sub-division in this area.

I am not really sure about that, but I am starting to see more corner blocks subdivided.

One double storey house is being build on my street on subdivided corner block.

St Albans PM recomendations?

Hello Forum

I note this thread mentions St Ablans so if any one has IP in that area, I am seeking recommendations: both for and against Property Managers in that area.

I prefer, obviously, the lowest rates and electronic email notices and EFT for payments but the key requirement is a experienced PM that will keep a “fair but hard” eye on tenants so I have no stress, evictions etc…

Also, if able to, mention the PM personally as I find it is the person, not the agency that makes the difference.

Thanks in advance.

Peter 14.7

Back