17% of people don't have $500 saved

I was quite surprised by this. I know that there isn't a big culture of saving in Australia but not having access to $500 is a bit scary.

One in five Aussies struggle to find $1000 and one in three spend all they earn

February 17, 2013 5:33PM

ALMOST one in five Australians would struggle to come up with $1000 to deal with an emergency, while one in three people spend everything they earn.

A survey of almost 5000 Australians shows a deep divide exists between households that are financially prepared to cope with current and future expenses and those barely able to meet their everyday commitments.

It shows many Australians, including higher income earners, are unprepared for financial obstacles.

A total of 17 per cent of people surveyed would struggle to find $500 to $1000 to deal with an emergency, while 30 per cent were living from pay cheque to pay cheque.

More than 40 per cent of respondents said they were able to meet their monthly expenses, but a third admitted they were worried about their ability to do so.

Deanne Stewart, General Manager of BT, which financed the survey, says the results clearly show there are a large number of people struggling to cope financially day to day, and the problems are not always linked to the size of someone's pay packet.

"In many instances people are living in the hope that they will achieve their goals rather than planning for a fulfilling and secure future," Ms Stewart said.

"This has implications for their health and lifestyle, impacting on their levels of stress, and in the longer term influencing their enjoyment in the years after they finish work."

Surprisingly, 57 per cent of those surveyed had no regular savings plan.

This figure peaks among 45 to 54-year-olds who are often nearing the height of their earning capacity.

It showed almost 40 per cent of people would not have enough savings to maintain their present lifestyle if they lost their income for three to six months.

A third of people worry about not being able to meet normal monthly living expenses and more than half can't save what they want to save.

The scary thing is; this is the average.

There are folk out there with several hundreds of thousands saved - and this would be a minority of people, and these would lift the average.

Come on BV, you run a small business like me

How many times a month do you have staff coming to you for an advance, or how stressful is it for some of them if there has been a banking issue and the wage due Thursday isnt in on Wed nite..............

Hand to mouth is quite common, and difficult to bust,

ta
rolf

Come on BV, you run a small business like me

How many times a month do you have staff coming to you for an advance, or how stressful is it for some of them if there has been a banking issue and the wage due Thursday isnt in on Wed nite..............

Hand to mouth is quite common, and difficult to bust,

ta
rolf
Quite true.

Have seen these scenario many times - have been there myself more than once.

I haven't had the staff asking for an advance, but I've had staff who've owed me money for equipment purchased through me 9both in the previous life of golf, and the current one of cars), and we eventually had to (and still do) get them to work hours for free to pay the debt.

Amazingly; they seem quite happy to do it.

My first job was for a company where a bunch of wives used to hang around out front on Friday lunchtimes waiting for their husbands pay to arrive (we were paid in cash). I was only 22 but I found it scary, I think it helped drive me to make sure I was never in that situation.

... I found it scary, I think it helped drive me to make sure I was never in that situation.

As a teenager I found my parents financial practices rather baffling (and I'm being generous here), which is what motivated me to become wealthy enough to not have to worry about money.

A woman I work with was very excited a couple of days ago when telling me her daughter and SIL were expecting a second child.

She also expressed concern that they had just purchase a new 50K car.

They're both mid 20's, he's on 60Kpa and she's not working, and they rent their house.

She also said he's now looking around for a better paying job. I guess things just got a bit tighter for them at the worst possible time.

Fortunately she has the qualifications and ability to earn a decent income -much more than him- but I don't think going back to work too soon is on the cards.

It showed almost 40 per cent of people would not have enough savings to maintain their present lifestyle if they lost their income for three to six months.

A third of people worry about not being able to meet normal monthly living expenses and more than half can't save what they want to save.

I wouldn't.

Well, I probably would, but I would much prefer to sacrifice luxuries if I was out of work for 3-6 months. I could easily afford to keep eating, provide housing, pay off loan etc etc but I wouldn't want to continue my present lifestyle.

I haven't had the staff asking for an advance, but I've had staff who've owed me money for equipment purchased through me 9both in the previous life of golf, and the current one of cars), and we eventually had to (and still do) get them to work hours for free to pay the debt.

Amazingly; they seem quite happy to do it.

Considering they're avoiding paying income tax (I'm assuming), why wouldn't they do it? That's nearly like a 50% raise.

As a teenager I found my parents financial practices rather baffling (and I'm being generous here), which is what motivated me to become wealthy enough to not have to worry about money.

+1 At 16 I was loaning my mum cash to pay bills and charging her interest. I thought I was being fair. 30 years laster she survives on our generosity and I dont mind.

Dad was illiterate labourer and mum a cleaner. Never earned much. Did what they could. But in today there is no excuse.

Peter

In almost every case, I'd bet these people don't have $500 is because of their priorities.

Hobo,
I saw that Four Corners tv show.
It's sad for the innocent children, butthe parents brought most of the problems on themselves.
If they actually delved into their last 2 years, I'm sure they had plenty of better choices they could have made.

When they finally get on their feet financially,most will repeat the same mistakes. They will have the mentality of "deserving " stuff because they were deprived for so long.

+1 At 16 I was loaning my mum cash to pay bills and charging her interest. I thought I was being fair. 30 years laster she survives on our generosity and I dont mind.

Dad was illiterate labourer and mum a cleaner. Never earned much. Did what they could. But in today there is no excuse.

Peter

you could get away with this even 20 years ago.

my parents save like squirrells to the point of still not owning their house.

i dont think they'd lend me $20 for parking at the hospital, but they'll buy dinner.....?

Considering they're avoiding paying income tax (I'm assuming), why wouldn't they do it? That's nearly like a 50% raise.
Looking at this way; then yes; why wouldn't you?

The rpoblem is; they accumulate no hols and/or super etc for the non-existent hours, so it's a bit of a trade-off of sorts.

The point is; I was the one who suggested it when the respective staff were not forthcoming to pay the bill in a timely manner. :rolleyes:

And; not all companies wold allow the hours swapped for equipment scenario I guess?

Looking at this way; then yes; why wouldn't you?

The rpoblem is; they accumulate no hols and/or super etc for the non-existent hours, so it's a bit of a trade-off of sorts.

The point is; I was the one who suggested it when the respective staff were not forthcoming to pay the bill in a timely manner. :rolleyes:

And; not all companies wold allow the hours swapped for equipment scenario I guess?

Is it legal??? Working and not getting paid???

Back