17% of people don't have $500 saved

You can't be made redundant because of your age.

Have you been told this will happen, or are you assuming it will based on someone saying that happens once you turn 58 :confused:.

Also, it's incorrect that you need to wait 10 years to access the pension after being made redundant.

You receive the pension when you reach pension age, whenever that is (65 I think).

You can however access your super from aged 55 - depends on the year you were born.

Even if your husband was made redundant at 58 he could always get another job away from IT, or create one.
There are a number of jobs that twilight years workers can get. Bunnings for one example.

Maybe not that exciting and no ladder climbing possibly, but a pay check just the same.

My previous life as a golf pro - proshops are always looking for able bodied people who can meet and greet with a smile, have a chat, show a little initiative, be on time when asked to work and be available most of the time when needed. No experience in golf required, but it would help.

It's actually rather decent work, and you can do it until you drop. Ask around the local venues; something will turn up.

I have worked with several older folk in this industry over a few decades, and most of them love it, and are in it for the long haul which is what pros/Clubs want.

At my own Club, our pro recently retired after 40 years at the Club. The Club has taken over the shop and have added more staff. Two of the replacements are a lady of about 45 and one about late 50's.

Last edited:
Isn't it interesting how we get such robust conversation when discussing alternative incomes?

Hi Weg, I was having a go at the person who suggested people who never save anything get made redundant in their 50s and then go onto the pension. Straight away? no. Someone else on this thread talked statistics about being made redundant at 58, which is also public knowledge. You would have to be pretty naive to think that there is no age discrimination these days. Why do you think it is also public knowledge that the average time it takes for a person over 50 to find work is twice as long as the average time it takes someone younger than 50?

I was also sympathising with Geoff who has been in business and now cannot get any help to find work because he isn't on the dole. That is what our family has been through over the years, all of us at different times.

Thanks for the positives, Bayview. We have our own half-thought-through contingency plan, heading inland and doing seasonal work with some house-sitting thrown in.

You stated hubby WILL be made redundant next year when he turns 58 and I wanted to know if that's what the employer told him, or whether you assumed this will happen based on what someone said?? That's all.

Workers can't be made redundant because of their age. It's illegal. And 58 is not old.

Agree the peak of your 'career' may have passed but it does not mean you can't find a job.

It's ridiculous thinking your working days are over because you're 58, when a huge chunk of the workforce is over 50 and it's considered the norm.

I may be wrong but a part of geoffw's problem in finding a job in IT would be because he's been out of IT for a long time.

I may be wrong but a part of geoffw's problem in finding a job in IT would be because he's been out of IT for a long time.
Yes, that's the biggest part of my problem.

But my point was more that, because I'm not on the dole, there's no help available- nobody is interested. Agencies only get paid to help those who are on unemployment benefits.

As somebody who hasn't even been on a job interview for well over twenty years, I just didn't have a clue how to get any sort of training.

I'm not even registered as unemployed. I'm not a part of the official unemployment rate.

The CES and the government employment contractors just tell me to look at the job ads- they can't help me.

The job ads all require people with good current experience.

The agencies- at least those who even bother responding- just tell me to get trained, and to come back. Only one has suggested a TAFE course- a Diploma in Software Development, which I am doing- but that runs for 12 months, and I don't really see any job ads asking for people with TAFE training and no job experience.

OK, the government does give an employer something for employing an older person. But when I was an employer, the amount was really quite small in relation to what they were getting paid- it wasn't enough for me to really make that a deciding factor. (That was largely irrelevant anyway- I had so few senior job applicants for a sandwich artist role).

I have started pursuing another path which holds some promise. I'll see where that goes.

And thanks (?I think?) to the person here who mentioned the other day that Hubby will be made redundant next year when he turns 58. That will really screw with our plan to make it to retirement age.

The person on this site who was talking generalities. Sorry. I just asked him, at this (big) company there are a few guys who have worked until they choose to retire in their 60s. The vast majority of employees are in their 20s and 30s. Currently hubby is one of the oldest guys there, but all the Directors are even older than him. He has been in this one position for 7 years and he is bored senseless with it. He is regularly asking to be moved to something different, even the same work but at a different location, just for a change. No, they like him as he keeps their customer happy and they wont move him anywhere else. Apparently he is "irreplaceable" Let's say it is a very challenging customer. He applies for other companies regularly, gets interviews, but is always no 2, never offered a position.

This is very off-track!

Yes, that's the biggest part of my problem.

I'm not even registered as unemployed. I'm not a part of the official unemployment rate.
There is help out there,i work on a early morning food-van that helps people that live in parks under bridges 4 times a month or more if someone does not turn up most of the old men have emotional problems
drug-drink the black dog all in one bucket,from what i have seen the Salvos
help everyone,even the ones that are not on sit-down money,please Geoffw don't take this the wrong way,but they may be able to help even thow
you are already a success..

BTW, it took me 9 months to get my name on the unemployment list
not that i wanted one cent i just wanted the Gillard Government to know that there unemployment number they spin out are false,and that was after several times been shown the door and told to get out of centrelink offices by Indian security staff..

https://www.salvationarmy.org.au/en/donate/Donation/?From=gg2012&gclid=CMKXz-fc3LUCFQUipQodGjgAIg

from what i have seen the Salvos
help everyone,even the ones that are not on sit-down money,please Geoffw don't take this the wrong way,but they may be able to help even thow
you are already a success..
Thanks Will. I definitely don't need a handout. And yes, I'd just like the fact that I don't currently have a job to be known to somebody, to ensure accurate stats.

I haven't yet tried the Salvos employment agency- I've just been disillusioned by the agencies I have been to, who don't even want to suggest anything to you once they know they can't earn any money from you.

The person on this site who was talking generalities. Sorry. I just asked him, at this (big) company there are a few guys who have worked until they choose to retire in their 60s. The vast majority of employees are in their 20s and 30s. Currently hubby is one of the oldest guys there, but all the Directors are even older than him. He has been in this one position for 7 years and he is bored senseless with it. He is regularly asking to be moved to something different, even the same work but at a different location, just for a change. No, they like him as he keeps their customer happy and they wont move him anywhere else. Apparently he is "irreplaceable" Let's say it is a very challenging customer. He applies for other companies regularly, gets interviews, but is always no 2, never offered a position.

This is very off-track!

I used to often be number 2 until I held a position when I was in my twenties where I interviewed prospective employees to take over part of my job. It made me realise I was interviewing 5 people that could all do the job well, so it came down to personality. You need to sell yourself to the interviewer. (Without being annoying of course) Having met your hubby briefly I'd consider he would be easy to get along with and is pretty laid back, I'm sure if he sold himself he'd be number one. You need to be confident that you are the right person for the job. If he has any doubt in his mind, it comes across. Even do a practice interview at home! I hope that helps.

Back