$17K - which car ?

OK - I am looking to spend up to $17K on a car.

I am looking at Toyota Corolla and Camry 2007 models. Seems to be lots available. Relatively inexpensive to run and fix.

Any other good cars out there that compete with the above in this price range ?

Suzi Alto

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/S...3088265&pg=1&pp=13&d=0&nv=1&SG=724094043&pt=1

$15k BRAND NEW and includes
Air Conditioning, Anti-Lock Braking, Brake Assist, Central Locking Remote Control, Dual Airbag Package, Electronic Brake Force Distribution, Engine Immobiliser, Head Airbags, Power Steering, Power Windows Front, Radio CD With 2 Speakers, Side Airbags

Cheers,

Th Y-man

Holy Mac ! How cheap is that !!!!

I travel a total of 60K's a day so need something that is auto and comfortable. I will have to check this out !

Keep ideas coming !

Funny you should ask. Just yesterday I decided I need a near new car. I am looking at corollas also.
I now have a 1999 Camry which I love. Never stops but now it needs a little work (new struts, tires and a few small thing).

Deciding whether to repair or get a new one. I'll get less than $4 if I sell it. But I don't want to keep spending money o it now.

Looking for something a bit smaller (or a sports car??) as I no longer need to cart 6ft teenagers around:D.

why do you need something newer? more like WANT something newer...? all you've done is crystalise that loss in capital value if you sell it - and have to fork out again to have to lose it again if you buy new.

struts - use supercheap struts and fit them yourself with a 17mm ring spanner and a spring compressor set - about $25 from supercheap also. front wheel drive struts are the easiest thing on the planet to change .... easier than the rear.

tyres - well, get some second handers - 85% tread for about $15 each fitted.

a few small things - so just sort them out. oil, filters etc aint hard to change yourself.

a 1999 camry should have the 1MZFE V6 still? one of the strongest and over engineered engines on the planet. folk in the states pull 500,000 out of these without so much as a freshen up - just oil, filters and that timing belt at 100k intervals(which is dead easy to change yourself) and you're done.

small fact - the creation of one new car, creates MORE pollution that that same car will create in it's operational lifetime. it's like all those folk that reckon a prius is god for the environment. fact is, it's the most polluting car on the planet before the key is even turned.

for $50,000 i could get a new Prius. or for $10,000 i could get a 3 year old falcon and run it for 23 years with the remaining $40,000, counting inflation probably. food for thought there.

do the environment a favour. spend $500 and a weekend on the camry.

I'll get less than $4 if I sell it.

I'll give you $5 for it.

For what it's worth, my 1995 Honda Accord is extremely reliable... I'd say I'm running it into the ground except I don't think it's complaining that much about anything. This model are around $4000-$6000 now.

Thanks Bluecard.
It's not that I WANT a new car. If my hubby had his way we would have turned over 3 cars by now. I can't see the point in spending money on cars. Hubby is suggesting I upgrade (and downsize).

My only reason for considering it is that I'm thinking (I may be wrong) that things are starting to go wrong and I don't want to be forking out $1,000's a year to keep it on the road.
You are right about the engine. The only money I have spent is a thermostat and battery. I love the car (except the head lining now sits on my hair):eek: Hubby sprayed glue on it so a bit better. It's actually quite economical (considering it's a V6). I can drive to Queensland on a tank.

$4. :D Yeah that is a bit pessimistic of me.

I just had a complete service. Runs well. I'll get some quotes for what needs doing. I don't mind buying tyres. That's normal running costs. Maybe it is only the struts that actually need doing? Hubby could do those (although he won't be too happy about it. :D

Think about a 1.6 litre Hyundai Getz. Comes with all the fruit, and still reasonable to drive as an auto. Drive away maybe $16k, and you get a 5 year unlimited km warranty.

As for older vehicles, the trick is to know when they are just needing maintenance and small jobs, and when something big is about to go.

I get my cars serviced according to the service schedule (religiously), and typically get many years of trouble free motoring. Currently my V8 is 6 years old (bought new), and is as good as the day I got it - it has years left (and less than 85,000 on the clock). Regular servicing and maintenance is a good way to keep your cars running for a long time.

a 1999 camry should have the 1MZFE V6 still? one of the strongest and over engineered engines on the planet. folk in the states pull 500,000 out of these without so much as a freshen up - just oil, filters and that timing belt at 100k intervals(which is dead easy to change yourself) and you're done.

Agreed. The problem I have found is that because I service my cars regularly, the engine is fine while the rest of the car loosens and wears out around it. Years ago I had one of those Mazda 121 bubble cars, one of the very first ones. It had almost 240k on the clock when it got written off, and the engine was still strong and used no oil at all. The rest of the car was getting kinda tired though. Still, I bought it new and had 240k of fairly trouble free motoring (just gearbox bearings and CV joints at 170k), and I gave it as hard a life as a young man can...

1987 Toyota Corolla twincam here. Cost $1000 to buy.
434,000kms and still going strong.

I gotta vouch for the massive over-engineering of the Toyota 1MZ-FE engine. It's seriously a piece of engineering art, along with the 1UZ-FE.

NOTHING beats Toyota for long term reliability and low service costs. They are also a sinch to work on DIY.
I havent been to a mechanic for anything other than tyres and wheel alignments for about 6 years.

save your money. cars are going to cost you regardless.

dealer delivery, more stamp duty, higher rego costs, higher insurance costs, higher servicing costs - for what? something that does exactly what your camry does?

save your money. cars are going to cost you regardless.

dealer delivery, more stamp duty, higher rego costs, higher insurance costs, higher servicing costs - for what? something that does exactly what your camry does?

Cant agrue with you there BC.
Camry = win.

honda jazz...

had mine 5 years now from new - cost about 17k, never missed a beat and really good fun to drive...

I get as low as 5.1L/100km on the highway too!!:D

1987 Toyota Corolla twincam here. Cost $1000 to buy.
434,000kms and still going strong.

I gotta vouch for the massive over-engineering of the Toyota 1MZ-FE engine. It's seriously a piece of engineering art, along with the 1UZ-FE.

NOTHING beats Toyota for long term reliability and low service costs. They are also a sinch to work on DIY.
I havent been to a mechanic for anything other than tyres and wheel alignments for about 6 years.

i put a 1UZFE ina Datsun 240C (not Z - C) with a pair of TF035HM turbos.

Attachments

• PICT0006.jpg
    PICT0006.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 63
  • PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 76
  • PICT0031.jpg
    PICT0031.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 69
Our Toyota is the 5VZ-FE engine. Done 200k kms and doesn't use a drop of oil. Will easily do that again. Going by the log book the previous owners didn't exactly service it "religiously" in its earlier life either! Got the car (2001 Prado) for a song at auction a few years ago (in your price range) and will keep it for ages provided nothing blows up (very unlikely in family use...). It's perfect for carting the kids around, throwing the dog in the back, carrying our bikes and packing for trips away. Also good for a play in the mud / beach or the perfect car for exploring Karijini... :D

I totally concur with BC's advice - I also hate having to worry about keeping a new car all clean and unscratched. Especially with kids coz it ain't going to happen! It does use a bit of juice around town but that's nothing compared to the environmental and financial costs of a new car. Fuel consumption in older cars is generally over-hyped - there are a lot of other considerations to be thinking of - not the least of which are the financial ones! And lets face it, real technical advancements in newer cars are slooooow to hit the market and pretty inconsequential in the general scheme of things IMO with "improved safety features" being the ones the marketing gurus seem to focus on ATM.... obviously playing on people's fears there! :rolleyes:

Back