$17K - which car ?

i think we just fried people's minds dude - i'll bet 97% of folk on here have no idea what 300rwkw stands for, or what WSID stands for, or what 5% leakdown is.

impressive figures - even for a toyo engine!

i'm Pro from Lextreme.

Yeah we probably did :)

I used to post on lextreme when i had a UZS131 Toyota Crown (1989 import, factory 1UZ).
What got you onto lextreme?
What's your current "toy" car?

Im currently building a 1983 KE70 Corolla with a tough built 18RG-turbo (custom SPS forged pistons, custom crower h-beam rods, modified rod:stroke ratio, etc)....
... i like to go fast.

Success, for 17K you can get some nice cars that will return a good investment especially certain imported ones likes boods99 Evo8. Then you aren't losing any money and it is still an investment or at least break even 3-5 years down the track when you upgrade again.

boods99, R35 is the one to get next but requires a little more cash. Don't waste your time with 33 or 34 unless a 2000 GT-RVspec for around 30K

save your money. cars are going to cost you regardless.

dealer delivery, more stamp duty, higher rego costs, higher insurance costs, higher servicing costs - for what? something that does exactly what your camry does?

I did have this discussion 6 years ago with hubby (and 3 years ago). He wanted to upgrade to a newer Camry but I couldn't see the point in paying $8K to buy a car exactly the same (the lights were a little different).

So I agree :D

I was thinking about it today and financially it is silly.
As you said I'll still have costs plus the interest lost on the money I pull out of the offset account. $10-12,000 = $600 a year. So if I spend $600 a year extra on the Camry I'm no worse off.
Plus I hate looking for cars (and selling them).

I do like my Camry so I'm off to tell hubby the good news. :p

With a wedding to pay for next year it makes more sense too.

Any opinions on cheap weddings??? :( I know- no such thing.

Honda Jazz is good but if you are used to driving a big car then it's hard to go back to a small car. We bought a 1yr old Jazz with about 15,000kms for $13k. Urban - you won't be able to get a brand new Jazz now for $17k..more like $20k

Don't buy brand new. We almost bought a Camry but the boot is quite small and the back seat isn't wide enough to comfortably fit 3 infant carseats across.

for wedding - just shop around a lot and compare prices. it's once in a lifetime.....you should have the exact wedding you have always wanted for the best possible price.

I wouldn't say 100k+ is a 'little' more cash :p

Yeah, I would love one, as the R35 is officially my "dream" car! Havent got the $180K spare though! At the moment the R33 GTR is a better buy as they are getting quite cheap in Japan, however the price drops are not yet that severe over here.

For what its worth, I have made money on almost every car bought in the last 8 or so years, with the exception of the R32 GTR pictured previously...that thing was an animal (approx 600hp @ rear wheels) and drained my wallet many a time!

Boods

OK ... info overload ! I'll stick to looking for Corolla's and Camry. Thanks everyone !

Have you seen the Nissan Tiida ( Pulsar replacment), I am sure you can get last year model for 17K.
Its much more roomier than Toyota Corolla and even Ford Focus.

KK

I've got a 2001 Hyundai Accent you can buy for $4k. In pretty good nick.

Don't need it as we scored a free twin cab Mazda Bravo ute with the Tyre and Service Centre purchase.

Goes like a dream, and the saved $13k will go towards your next IP deposit. ;)

Wedding - book early, don't pick a saturday, look for second hand if you're doing decorations (most stuff has only been used for about six hours), with the dress look around online - surprising how many unused dresses are for sale after change of minds/bought two etc, know what you want when you start buying stuff.

good dont get a tiida, my gf gets them as a work loan car from time to time and HHAATES them they are cheap crappy cars inside, horrible engines and wooden steering.

i am faced with a cheap car because i ride a motorbike everyday and just want something i can get in and turn key then go. I can't go past the BAII or newer falcon on gas. Get reverse sensors or a camera is parking it scares you, i am getting a wagon because the rear end setup is better for towing but the sedans are even cheaper.

Why punish yourself and drive something horrible, rattly and buzzy, i understand the need to economise but a falcon is damn comfy and easy to pilot around.

Wedding - book early, don't pick a saturday, look for second hand if you're doing decorations (most stuff has only been used for about six hours), with the dress look around online - surprising how many unused dresses are for sale after change of minds/bought two etc, know what you want when you start buying stuff.

What a fantastically random post Mooze!!:D

Go for the wedding and remember marriage is an investment just like property. Take the time to look after it and you will reap the rewards but neglect it and you may end up with the tenant from hell as some here may have experienced.

boods99,

What did the 8 roughly set you back?

Thanks for the wedding tips.

It's actually funny because my daughter has always been a no frills type of gal.
When her sister got married she kept saying "this is ridiculous" (about the price of the dress etc). She saw a white dress in a shop and said "look this would be nice for a wedding dress". She then stated she'd just have a BBQ for the wedding.

When the engagement was being planned she rang me and said "who traditionally pays for the engagement?" I said I wasn't particularly into traditions.:p She said "someone normally pays for it as an engagement present but I don't know anyone that rich". I said "me neither":D

Well blow me away, it's started.
We went dress shopping $2200 later:eek::eek: I think it is crazy but the dress is amazing (still to expensive I think) but we did cry when we saw it on. It's a dress!!!:confused:

She's picked the venue and the most expensive photographer.

And so it begins.

Still one more daughter and a son to go.

Back