18 year property cycle

Hi all,

I am fairly new to property inbvesting and have been listening to a lot of podcasts and watching you tube videos etc.

I recently heard about the theory of the 18 year property cycle and also that it can apparently be tracked by also keeping a close eye on what the stock market is doind as that is an indicator of things to come if the guys are right.

I would like to do my own research into this a little and have managed to find an app for my android device which allows me to look back at the stock market for the main indexes back to 1985. Does anyone know of a simple way to look back through the history of the property market to see if there is a relationship?

I know about RP data's free service at MYRP and that will allow me to go back 10 years I think and only for this country. As I am from the UK and have a property there and also a fairly easy ability to still be able to buy there, albeit with a huge deposit, I would love to know about a source for that market too.

Many thanks and hoping you can help,

Regards,

Paul

Anyone that talks about exact cycles like that is either a snake oil salesman or an idiot.
Things tend to happen in a particular order, but that's about it. You can't rely on time frames, be it 7, 10 or 18 years.

Anyone that talks about exact cycles like that is either a snake oil salesman or an idiot.
Things tend to happen in a particular order, but that's about it. You can't rely on time frames, be it 7, 10 or 18 years.

18 years was the average over the history of the last 200 years. The number ranged from 17 to 21 I think

18 years was the average over the history of the last 200 years. The number ranged from 17 to 21 I think

And what's supposed to be happening in this cycle? I still have my doubts.

I've got a 3121 day cycle that I use myself and in that cycle "random stuff" happens. 100% reliable too!

And what's supposed to be happening in this cycle? I still have my doubts.

I've got a 3121 day cycle that I use myself and in that cycle "random stuff" happens. 100% reliable too!

Well I think something along the lines of a steady growth with a small recession at the end followed by large growth with a large crash and then we are back to the start.

I do not yet understand it in any depth and certainly not to be able to teach it. I am merely trying to look at the theory and see if there is any strong evidence to support it, I am certainly not trying to convince the world that it exists, but while I am saving a deposit it is research.

another dodgy clock... clocks are fine on the wall but if there is an earthquake they will fall off the wall and smash

Back