1st Investment property - PERTH, 21yo Mining wage

I know nothing about mining, but what is a NDT technician?

do you need awesome education/grades to get in?

$5k per week income on any mining project seems high let alone for 21

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply,

I currently have 40k deposit although I'm looking at taking on a 95% LVR and capitalising LMI for my first and second purchase.

I've been in my current role for 13 months, although I've worked on a variety of mine sites and refinery's prior - Same job role.

I'm paying huge tax which is something I'd like to look at minimizing

I am aware of the FHOG drop which is why I would like to get into the market before the end of the financial year

26 and 9 roster, I am keen on development the only problem i feel is my roster is holding me back from being around throughout the whole process.. I'm not sure if that would be an issue.

regards,

Fraser

You could always use a buyers agent or a project manager to help with the developments to cater for your lack of time.

You seem to be looking to take a similar path to the one i have gone down. Feel free to pm me for any specific advise.

Cheers

I know nothing about mining, but what is a NDT technician?

do you need awesome education/grades to get in?

$5k per week income on any mining project seems high let alone for 21

Its all about the hours worked. You can expect an avergage wage for 2/1 of 120k-180k. So a 4/1 is double the hours so 240k-360k.

Cheers

Non Destructive Testing Technician.

Essentially testing steel for cracks and thickness using non-destructive means like ultrasonic and mag particle testing.

Generally Boilermakers make good testers as they understand the welding and fabrication techniques best.

I don't think NACE certification is a walk in the park as suggested above. Little more to it than a couple of 'short courses'.

pinkboy

Non Destructive Testing Technician.

Essentially testing steel for cracks and thickness using non-destructive means like ultrasonic and mag particle testing.

Generally Boilermakers make good testers as they understand the welding and fabrication techniques best.

I don't think NACE certification is a walk in the park as suggested above. Little more to it than a couple of 'short courses'.

pinkboy

http://www.attar.com.au/NDT-Training/104/catmenu.aspx

21 years old, NDT Technician,250K, Mining????????? :rolleyes:

Do you mind scanning a copy of your Group Certificate?

He's shared his pay - he has no need I prove it.
Kudos to Fraser - it's a good project your on. I prefer O&G too over hard rock.

Anyway. Financially I'd suggest getting that FHOG one under your belt as that will quickly chew up that $40k.

Then work out a good solid budget to save more deposits.

Think you could develop on your shifts but it does take organisation. And 20% deposits.

He's shared his pay - he has no need I prove it.
Kudos to Fraser - it's a good project your on. I prefer O&G too over hard rock.

Anyway. Financially I'd suggest getting that FHOG one under your belt as that will quickly chew up that $40k.

Then work out a good solid budget to save more deposits.

Think you could develop on your shifts but it does take organisation. And 20% deposits.

Hi mate,

Thanks for getting things back on track :p

I have a few queries in regards to developing as it is something i'd seriously look into after a bit more research.

How much of my time is involved? say I were to hire a building company to undergo the whole process.

Have you completed any developments yourself? If so would you mind elaborating?

Cheers,

Fraser

Hi there,

Ahh it's fine, the money is good and everything but what people don't seem to take into account is the 3/4 of your quality of life spent away from civilisation :cool:

Ahhhhhh Looks like a 3/1 Roster. That might Explain the Higher wage ??

You need to get Offshore than It will only be 1/2 your life or Even less ;)

Good Luck to you.

Cheers

Wirra

Hi mate,

Thanks for getting things back on track :p

I have a few queries in regards to developing as it is something i'd seriously look into after a bit more research.

How much of my time is involved? say I were to hire a building company to undergo the whole process.

Have you completed any developments yourself? If so would you mind elaborating?

Cheers,

Fraser

Yup I've done a few. As singo said, I've got a few threads BUT I had to take 2 out of my signature as you can only have 2 URLs in your sig.

Gwelup http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81719
North Perth http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97742

There are a few development friendly builders out there who can manage everything down to the letterbox for you. You just have to keep working and supply money :D

It's up to you, really how involved you want to be. On your Perth time you can do builders appointments, colours/tiles, inspections. OR you can choose not to by employing an interior designer once off to do all the colours stuff and then a building inspector for 2-3 times to make sure everything is AOK.

I've managed to develop with a fulltime job, yes it's easier because I'm local but I still couldn't do much during business hours and restricted to appointments on my RDO. I was working for your Gorgon headoffice :)

I'm now developing fulltime (as of 5 days ago) with a sideline of mentoring/assisting people develop.

Ahhhhhh Looks like a 3/1 Roster. That might Explain the Higher wage ??

You need to get Offshore than It will only be 1/2 your life or Even less ;)

Good Luck to you.

Cheers

Wirra

You won't get $250,000 doing NDT Offshore. That's a contractors role and the time isn't guaranteed.
Production Technicians on floating facilities barely nudge that sort of money.

I'm paying huge tax which is something I'd like to look at minimizing
This just set off alarm bells for me.

Do not invest with the view of minimising your current tax bill. That should NOT be your driver at all.

I was told once - if you're paying tax, that means you're making money. :)

Yup I've done a few. As singo said, I've got a few threads BUT I had to take 2 out of my signature as you can only have 2 URLs in your sig.

Gwelup http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81719
North Perth http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97742

There are a few development friendly builders out there who can manage everything down to the letterbox for you. You just have to keep working and supply money :D

It's up to you, really how involved you want to be. On your Perth time you can do builders appointments, colours/tiles, inspections. OR you can choose not to by employing an interior designer once off to do all the colours stuff and then a building inspector for 2-3 times to make sure everything is AOK.

I've managed to develop with a fulltime job, yes it's easier because I'm local but I still couldn't do much during business hours and restricted to appointments on my RDO. I was working for your Gorgon headoffice :)

I'm now developing fulltime (as of 5 days ago) with a sideline of mentoring/assisting people develop.

Hi there,

haha yes I guess money would be the underlying factor!! and I will definitely go through your threads with a fine tooth comb to learn as much as I can :cool:

I think I'd like to keep it strictly business orientated, having too much involvement I think would be detrimental for me anyway - emotional attachment and what not.

How did you find developing on a full time job? pretty stressful or easy to deal with?

Oh really, The head office in Murray street there? I am finding it hard to fit things in - not enough hours in the day! especially on nightshift.. hard to contact people when their sound asleep! :p

Its all about the hours worked. You can expect an avergage wage for 2/1 of 120k-180k. So a 4/1 is double the hours so 240k-360k.

Cheers
Quoted as it's the first sensible comment re his pay. It's all about hourly rate... 29 days of 12 hour shifts.

Hi Fraze,
This may be shot down by the gurus.
If I was in your position I'd purchase a property in the golden triangle or Applecross/Ardross/SP etc. One that eventually when you have a family, you'd like to live there. Rent it out for ten years. Preferably one you can sub divide or just knockdown and build. The NG will be good while you're working those mega hours. Then continue saving and look at a cheaper more CF neutral IP once you've saved another deposit.
Just my humble opinion.
Cheers

Back