2 PPORs for married couple?

So what you're saying is that a woman can't be intellectual and attractive? Are you kidding? I have seen so many obviously successful career women in their 30's and 40's who are extremely good looking, confident and sexy and I'm sure there are plenty of hot young chicks who are interested in a wide variety of intellectual topics and can hold a conversation about more than what happened last night on Home and Away.

Wait, what? How on earth did that come about? I know this much - my ex is super hot (well, she was when I dated her, haven't laid eyes on her in over three years) and she has a brain too. I'm just saying there are guys who focus purely on looks and there are guys for whom intelligence is more important. I never said anything about chicks not being able to be both at the same time.

Mark

Ah, well your paragraph sounded like a guy has a choice of one or the other, but not both. I obviously just misunderstood your meaning. I personally think that looks always come first though - I mean who is going to cross a crowded pub and strike up a conversation with Mr or Ms Ugly? Not many I don't think. Looks alone can never sustain any sort of relationship though - there needs to be more.

And once again - we agree completely! I've always said that looks are important and that anyone that says they aren't is either blind or a liar. I don't understand the concept of people saying that looks don't matter and that anyone that thinks so is shallow. Sure, there are people that for them, looks are the ONLY thing that matters, but for the majority of people, they can't (or won't) maintain a long term relationship with someone based purely on looks.

Mark

... Kerry Packer once said, "Everyone else is paying too much tax" or somewhere along the line when questioned about his $1 tax (I vaguely recall)...

This is what Kerry Packer said at the 1991 government inquiry:

"Of course I am minimising my tax. And if anybody in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their heads read, because as a government, I can tell you you're not spending it that well that we should be donating extra!"

A state memorial service was held on his death at the Sydney Opera House, attended by John Howard, Russell Crowe, Tom Cruise, Greg Norman and many important figures from both sides of politics.

On tax payers fund, of course :D

On tax payers fund, of course :D

I would say PBL would've donated more than its fair share of company profits in taxes in all the generations which the Packers have operated in Australia. Without rich people, theres no corporations to pay tax to support our system so when the media harps on about Kerry not paying a single cent in personal tax its because the 20 year old researches don't have the craftiness, intelligence or ability to pull apart the myriad of trusts, holding companies and related offshore entities to provide an accurate assessment. Why would they need to go to all that trouble when they simply write for 12 year olds and insult our intelligence with the cra* they print.

I would say PBL would've donated more than its fair share of company profits in taxes in all the generations which the Packers have operated in Australia.

I suspect though, if PBL and the Packers had paid tax at the same percentage as the majority of the population they would have paid significantly more than they have so far...

Without rich people, theres no corporations to pay tax to support our system

Not 100% sure I agree with this, but certainly it would seem true the the more the economy generates the more income a government should be able to take in taxes.

So - whilst 'rich people' often donate large amounts, and good on them, I suspect that by and large their contributions are actually smaller on a percentage basis than middle/low income 'battlers'. I say this from experience from my days shaking a tin for charity collections in bluu-chip and working-class suburbs. The working class suburbs gave more.

I'm not sure I have a point with all this :D except that...

Apart from my gripes above I would agree with Mr Packer (Snr), that it would be foolishness to spend 1c more in tax than I should.

TheBacon

Back