2 week overseas holiday cost ?

Hi

Im wanting to go overseas for 1-2 weeks. My cousin is getting married.

As I have never been overseas I have no idea about cost.

Approx how much do you think it will cost me for 1 week if I visit London & the middle east?

I'd like to go for 2 weeks seeing as I am going so far away but I won't do it if it's going to cost a fortune, I'll just go for 1 week.

I'm hoping to spend no more than $7000. Do you think this is possible?

Air fare cost?
Hotel cost?
Food cost?
Spending money?
Travel cost?

I'm really quite excited as I haven't seen my cousins in something like 10 years now. Since then the older one has had 3 kids. He lives over in America. The other one in England. My parents and I planned this trip years ago that when the youngest one has a wedding we will all go. Family reunion. I'm happy I can afford to do it. It's going to be hard though to see my bank balance go down though but you gotta live life sometimes hey :)

Yey, I'm so excited. Oh and I must get a passport ASAP as we are travelling in May! Is there a wait to get a passport?

On another note I'm seeing mortgage broker today which I'm excited about to!!! :)

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
I spent $7000 for 4 months in the UK and Europe.

It depends on how much you spend.

Economy flights on a decent airline will be round 2k return.

Hotels, well, how much do you want to spend?

7k for 1-2 weeks is easily achievable. Just not in 5 star luxury.

Hey Alex

I just grabbed some return tickets to Europe for around $1400 per adult in July. It's with Vietnam airlines - flying into Frankfurt from Syd and returning out of London.

Hotels in London are expensive - especially for solo travelers. Best to scope out single rooms in hostels if you're on a budget.

To travel around just grab a weekly tube ticket - you prob won't need to venture out past zone 2 and from memory it gives you access to buses too.

Eating out in London doesn't have to be too expensive - pub meals are pretty cheap and there's plenty of cool places to eat in China town or the curry houses in Brick Lane. If staying at a backpackers you could always prepare your own food (but that's not much fun - unless you're doing it with other travelers).

Where in the middle east are you planning on going? Some places are cheap - others aren't.

Cheers

Jamie

A passport, from memory takes a couple of weeks.

How longs a piece of string? - You could blow your whole budget on the airfare just to get there!

But $7k for a couple of weeks in the UK (don't know about mid east) is very doable.

Scrimp on accommodation, flights, booze and food and spend on experiences.

It really depends on your comfort levels, mileage will vary. Some people will happily stay in a hostel while others must have a 4 star hotel. Similar story with food.

Travel isn't expensive unless you make it so.

I'd generally budget $2000 airfares, $200 per night accomodation, $50 per day food. You will need to allocate money for taxis/trains/transfers/etc (perhaps $400), and any entertainment or spending.

For two weeks that adds up to about $6000 (assuming 14 nights of accomodation). Realistically, you will probably spend less than this, but I try to allow for 'worst case scenario', and generally end up with money left over.

The biggest cost is getting there and back, the rest is generally pretty easy.

Five grand a week for a basic budget is a bit of a guide..nothing flash in the way of food and accom.

Not including airfares.

Five grand a week for a basic budget is a bit of a guide..nothing flash in the way of food and accom.

Not including airfares.

5 grand a week for a basic non-flash budget not including airfares? :eek:

I must be a clodhopper because I consider that a rather fancy holiday.

Not yacht owning, third wife marrying fancy, but still fancy.

You'd think so. $7k for 4 months equals say $5k without airfares. $41 per day to live off not including accommodation.

You're right. It was 7k, but I hit 4 instead of 3.

7k for a 3 month holiday including airfares, accomodation, spending money etc.

Airfares I got cheap through Etihad at around $1500 return.

It wasn't a flash holiday, mainly hostels, but a decent, cheap hotel every few nights. Few nice meals, cooked a bit, made my own lunch.

I could spend 5k a week, but it would take some serious doing. But I don't "need" 5 star accommodation every night. Clean, well located accommodation is more important to me than pointless luxury items I don't need.

Not including airfares.

5 grand a week for a basic non-flash budget not including airfares? :eek:

I must be a clodhopper because I consider that a rather fancy holiday.

Not yacht owning, third wife marrying fancy, but still fancy.

:eek: agree with Fifth
I went to Japan for a week total $7000 for two people including fancy accommodations
$5K for a week :eek::eek::eek:

Good air fare find

Hey Alex

I just grabbed some return tickets to Europe for around $1400 per adult in July. It's with Vietnam airlines - flying into Frankfurt from Syd and returning out of London.......

.....Eating out in London doesn't have to be too expensive - pub meals are pretty cheap and there's plenty of cool places to eat in China town or the curry houses in Brick Lane.......

Nice find on the airfares with VA, have been looking for a cheap flight for wife for UK in June. VA doesn't seem to come up on the big search sites....

Haven't been for a curry down Brick Lane for over 15 years - or even better a Salt Beef Bagel right down the far end....mmmmm

You're right. It was 7k, but I hit 4 instead of 3.

7k for a 3 month holiday including airfares, accomodation, spending money etc.

Airfares I got cheap through Etihad at around $1500 return.

It wasn't a flash holiday, mainly hostels, but a decent, cheap hotel every few nights. Few nice meals, cooked a bit, made my own lunch.

I could spend 5k a week, but it would take some serious doing. But I don't "need" 5 star accommodation every night. Clean, well located accommodation is more important to me than pointless luxury items I don't need.

That's impressive. We're planning a 3 month trip at the end of this year and I thought $5000 for accommodation for 2 people was good. I presume it was mainly dorms?
I'm finding spending money to be the killer in terms of costs.

That's impressive. We're planning a 3 month trip at the end of this year and I thought $5000 for accommodation for 2 people was good. I presume it was mainly dorms?
I'm finding spending money to be the killer in terms of costs.

Yeah, mainly dorms, staying in places for a few days at a time saves money, things like that. Few nights free accomodation for working behind the desk or free night out for cooking a simple pasta dish, because a lot of backpackers can't cook to save themselves, things like that.

I didn't consciously set out to spend as little as possible - it's just I think you can save a fair bit of money traveling by yourself.

thanks, i've been out all day and havent had the chance yet to reply. ok well 6 or 7 k. Thats what I was thinking. 2 week wait for a passport excellent. I'll get that sorted soon.

For comfortable living and a bit of shopping, maybe around $3k a week excl airfares. For budget living, around $2k a week excl. airfares.

If you start living like a backpacker, maybe $500 a week.

Just had a quick look at airfares, one way, one adult, May 15th

Perth (PER) - London (LGW)

$1143
Jet Airways PER 09:50 LHR 17:55 39h 05m 2 stops Singapore (SIN) Dubai (DXB)

Back