2008 US Presidential Election

It was only a couple of months ago when we were talking about the results of the US Mid-Term Elections in this thread, but already eyes are well and truly cast in the direction of the 2008 Presidential election.

The inauguration for the new President isn't for another 2 years (20 January, 2009), but in the past week or so two very high profile contenders have publicly stated their intentions to seek the nomination for the Democrat Presidential Candidate.

Senator Barack Obama announced his intentions on 16 January 2007.

Senator Hilary Clinton announced her intentions on 20 January 2007.

One is black, and the other, a woman.

Of the two, Senator Clinton is currently favoured to win the nomination - but who knows?

If either one of them wins in 2008, it will be a first.

A longer list of potential candicates can be found at: Wikipedia - US Presidential Election 2008

M

I dont care who ever wins, I am just thankful that George Bush is going!

By coincidence, West Wing's current theme is the presidential nomination process too!

Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton

An interesting scenario:

Hilary Wins.

We would then have had 25 years of Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton -i.e. George Snr, Bill, George Jnr, Hilary.

I just hope Jeb (Bush) and Chelsea (Clinton) don't aspire to the throne.

I reckon Barack had it in the bag before Hilary put her hand up for the job.
BUT Barack being African American he may bring the black voters out in their millions . Oprah has already made him her new best friend, and thats worth big numbers in votes.
Will be interesting, quite frankly Fred Flintstone could have the job as long as Bush is gone.:cool:
cheers yadreamin

By coincidence, West Wing's current theme is the presidential nomination process too!
What an amazing coincidence ;)

I like West Wing- one of the few programs I choose to watch- especially during non ratings period. All kudos to the ABC for picking it up when the commercials dropped it.

In the episode tonight, the Latino candidate (Santos) has remortgaged his house to fund further election expenses.

It seemed like something of great angst to him- but something which many of us have used routinely (however, with a very good expectation of getting income- through rent and/or cap growth- as a result).

In his case, he did need to achieve a certain result before he could reasonably expect to gain enough income to get the money invested back again.

G'day

Good on Hilary! A woman of true grit, intelligence and determination!

I well remember Geraldine Ferraro being crucified in the 1984 campaign. I remember her 'Heady stuff, heady stuff' remark. Abused and demoralised by her husband's shifty business dealings, but a strong and courageous woman by anyone's standards.

Hilary is the stuff of which heros are made. She has had more muck thrown at her than a neighbourhood of bogans would ever experience, yet here she is, back for more. This time, however, all the muck is old news, well documented, raked over till all the coals have died.

There really is 'room at the top'. It is so easy grovelling about at the bottom of the ladder, to put a foot on even the first rung is more than most people would ever aspire to.

To be in it - to Win! is just amazing. For those of you who have never stood for public office, I have to say that my heart goes out to her tonight.

Yes, may the best candidate win. But Hilary is in a class by herself. I hope she realises her dream which is not just for herself, but for her country which she loves so much.

God bless!

Kristine

Off Topic, but georges are funny

Attachments

• George.jpg
    George.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 116
Hilary (well, Bill as well) have polarised electorate views in US politics for many years and unless she is able to reach middle America (who are generally conservative anyway) then she will fall along way short.

Obama has only been in the Senate for two years (i think!) so is relatively inexperienced.

There are some decent Republican candidates so it should make for an interesting contest.

Good Old Pitt St. Like me one of few who enjoy Politics.

West Wing

Great stuff. One of few things I watch.

Santos Re the Mortgage Issues was essentially to guarantee the Texas Campaign. Which if he wins means he needs to hope donations will come in to cover that campaign and the next but if he loses they lose the house.

BTW if you cannot wait Wikipedia has full story of all episodes and the ones we have not seen. I cheated but will not tell.:p

Hillary Clinton

1. Is a shoe in unless she is found to have done something totally out of character such as an affair. However as stated earlier, her past has been grilled and grilled so there is nothing new to release.

2. Bill is still revered as a good president how got caught. Bush is seen as shocking. Many say if Bill could stand again he would win.

3. As for Obama. Being black is one thing be he is inexperienced and as the west Wing shows it takes $$$$$$$ to campaign for President. Hillary spent an estimated $60M on getting the second term as Senator despite being again, a show in.

So Hillary will win and if Obama goes well he may be Vice Pres.

4. Al Gore will IMO not try and not accept Vice Pres again and is a mate so expect him to support her and then get a post in foreign affairs or environment so he can show all what a good job he would have done if he had won and how hopeless Bush has been. He may then try in 2016 after Hillary steps down.

5. Hillary is very smart. She knows it is very hard to remove a sitting president especially when at war in his second term and wisely let that one lie. But she and he advisers would have analyzed to death the republican Weaknesses from 2004 and the recent House of Reps. Since 1932 only two standing presidents have been turfed, Carter and Bush Senior. All others elected once have been reelected for the second term.

6. Lastly, One of Hillary key strength is what is essentially a popularity contest is the fact she is women and many how don’t vote will come out to vote because of the historic moment. Last election 2004 only 56% of all voters did and prior tot hat is only 50% in 2000. So if she increased the vote by even 5% it is done deal.

My two cents Peter 14.7

i would love to see hillary win - if for nothing more than to have a woman's touch to soothe the state of the world.

regardless of what others might thing - women are softer in approach, more diplomatic, willing to talk and reach sustainable conclusions and empathise with the other side.

it is time this world has a woman in power.

p.s. i hope hubby doesn't read this - i don't think he'll agree with my "women" analysis.

Your right that women are different to men.

It is hardwired and that is good thing.

The question is do the republicans have anyone they can put up against her?

Peter 14.7

Hi all,

Lizzie, of course women in power are...

softer in approach, more diplomatic, willing to talk and reach sustainable conclusions and empathise with the other side.

just like Gladys Hacksaw, sorry Margaret Thatcher 25 years ago.

bye

hillary clinton becoming president is about as likely to happen as 'obama' bin laden. none. happy to have a LARGE bet on it with anyone who might be so inclined :)

john edwards v john mccain.

will be a sad day when GeorgeW goes. ive missed boris yeltsin, will miss george as well.

I dont care who ever wins, I am just thankful that George Bush is going!

New season of 24 has a Black President.

A few more funny pic's

BB

Attachments

• howard.jpg
    howard.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 85
  • dumb_02.jpg
    dumb_02.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 87
  • bush_worstdisaster.jpg
    bush_worstdisaster.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 85
hillary clinton becoming president is about as likely to happen as 'obama' bin laden. none. happy to have a LARGE bet on it with anyone who might be so inclined :)

john edwards v john mccain.

Ok, easy to say that but where is the substance???:rolleyes:

Lets have some reason and logic as to why John Edwards will be the Democrat Candidate? :p

Regards

Peter "vote Hillary" 14.7

Back