2008 US Presidential Election

no woman candidate, no black candidate, in some 200years. cant see it changing anytime in the next 2 yrs is all. theyre the 2 most simple reasons, but there's a myriad of others. the country's run (or decided upon more correctly) by godfearing baptist white folk(men).
and if either of hillary or obama look like getting up, i personally think they'll null and void all the punch ticket voting system and someone else will steal the win like they did last time!! :)

hillary 'may' win her nom, but dont think she'd become pres. although reckon she'd be a sensation if was.

It is all in the numbers.

If blacks come out the Obama as VP could be a bonus.

But on Hillary. UK had Thatcher. NZ has a woman. I dont think sex will matter as much with swinging voters.

Those red neck gun toting types will never vote Demo anyhow. Male or Female.

Peter 14.7

Current Odds for President, at 1/2/07.
(at Centrebet...who have a PERFECT record across all elections since theyve been running them).

CLINTON, Hillary 3.00

McCAIN, John 5.50

OBAMA, Barack 5.50

ROMNEY, Mitt 10.00

EDWARDS, John 11.00

GIULIANI, Rudolph 11.00

GORE, Al 11.00

RICE, Condoleezza 26.00

HUCKABEE, Mike 34.00

RICHARDSON, Bill 34.00

CLARK, Wesley 41.00

GINGRICH, Newt 41.00

VILSACK, Tom 41.00

BIDEN, Joe 51.00

BROWNBACK, Sam 51.00

HAGEL, Chuck 51.00

ALLEN, George 67.00

DODD, Christopher 67.00

KERRY, John 67.00

BUSH, Jeb 101.00

CHENEY, Dick 101.00

POWELL, Colin 101.00

----------------------
cheney and rice arent running, so dont take the 101 or 26! well there's plenty who arent, but they DEFINATELY arent.

mccain it is for mind, to beat edwards.

I like what I see in Mc Cain.

Question is personalities aside.

Do the USA Voters want another Republican after 8 years Bush.

Unlikely are they ususally swap parties.

1928 Herbert Hoover (Republican)
1932 Franklin Roosevelt (Democrat)
1936 Franklin Roosevelt (Democrat)
1940 Franklin Roosevelt (Democrat)
1944 Franklin Roosevelt (Democrat)
1948 Harry Truman† (Democrat)
1952 Dwight Eisenhower (Republican)
1956 Dwight Eisenhower (Republican)
1960 John Kennedy† (Democrat)
1964 Lyndon Johnson (Democrat)
1968 Richard Nixon† (Republican)
1972 Richard Nixon (Republican)
1976 Jimmy Carter (Democrat)
1980 Ronald Reagan (Republican)
1984 Ronald Reagan (Republican)
1988 George H. W. Bush (Republican)
1992 Bill Clinton† (Democrat)
1996 Bill Clinton† (Democrat)
2000** George W. Bush‡
2004 George W. Bush (Republican)

Time again for change?

Peter 14.7

The best candidate? This one is a no brainer for me. It's got to be OBAMA:)

His late father hails from the Lake Basin area of Kenya where my fore fathers lived a few generations ago. Blood is thicker than water..heh! heh!

OBAMA JUU!

Heres a post I made around 3 months ago on the subject here

At the moment, there are only really 4 possible Presidents - Clinton, Obama, McCain, and Guiliani.

Guiliani is too liberal to get the nod from the Republican convention, so its going to be McCain (which is a shame, because Guiliani is a terrific politician who would quite easily win the general election, but the right wing would rather nominate a conservative and lose the General than nominate a liberal and win it.

McCain will be 71, which will scare a lot of voters off, so there is a definite chance the GOP nominee might be a bolter. The right wing have some definite issues to overcome before they decide on their nominee

Not so with the Dems - it will be Clinton or Obama - end of story. Edwards is an afterthought - whoever gets the nod will put him on the bottom of the ticket to win the South - but he is a joke as a politician. Clinton is definitely the frontrunner at the moment but, as the date draws nearer, Obama will swiftly close that gap.

I'd love to see Obama win it - I think he has the once in a century leadership qualities of Martin Luther King, the political savvy of Roosevelt, and the popularity and charisma of JFK.

I'd encourage anyone with even a passing interest in the race to read his last book, The Audacity of Hope, to see what a real leader looks like.

Jamie.

Last edited:
An interesting scenario:

Hilary Wins.

We would then have had 25 years of Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton -i.e. George Snr, Bill, George Jnr, Hilary.

I just hope Jeb (Bush) and Chelsea (Clinton) don't aspire to the throne.

I'd like to see Jenna Bush run for President with her twin Barbara as VP nominee:D

But I think we will see a Democrat president for the next two terms. By which point they may have amended the constitution to allow foreign born citizens to have a go...no problemo, President Schwarzenegger...

But I think we will see a Democrat president for the next two terms. By which point they may have amended the constitution to allow foreign born citizens to have a go...no problemo, President Schwarzenegger...

He would be interesting.

Having married Democrat Royalty in a Kennedy and depite being Republican is very Demo leaning on climate change, energy, etc..

However will not be for a while and Arnie may die from steroid abuse before he gets a chance.

bTW if Hillary gets up it will chagne forever the landscape as presently many great women are not considered because of thier sex.

Peter 14.7

*bump*

American Presidential Election - Winner

Market is open.
Pay on the person who becomes the president following the next election. Bets settled at the time of swearing in. All in. Win only. Singles only. Quote others.

CLINTON, Hillary 2.10
GIULIANI, Rudolph 6.00
OBAMA, Barack 7.00
GORE, Al 9.00
ROMNEY, Mitt 11.00
THOMPSON, Fred 11.00
EDWARDS, John 20.00
BLOOMBERG, Michael 34.00
PAUL, Ron 34.00
MCCAIN, John 41.00
GINGRICH, Newt 51.00
RICHARDSON, Bill 51.00
ALLEN, George 126.00
BIDEN, Joe 126.00
BROWNBACK, Sam 126.00
CLARK, Wesley 126.00
DODD, Christopher 126.00
HAGEL, Chuck 126.00
HUCKABEE, Mike 126.00
POWELL, Colin 126.00
RICE, Condoleezza 126.00
KERRY, John 141.00
BUSH, Jeb 151.00
VILSACK, Tom 151.00

Source: Centrebet

M

hillary clinton becoming president is about as likely to happen as 'obama' bin laden. none. happy to have a LARGE bet on it with anyone who might be so inclined :)

john edwards v john mccain.

will be a sad day when GeorgeW goes. ive missed boris yeltsin, will miss george as well.

Ridiculously late *bump*... but your post piqued my interest.

Edwards is about to drop out ... he will become the VP to whoever wins out of Obama and Clinton, just as I said here last year. I'd imagine he is paying about 70/1 online, if you can find someone to take money for him.

And either Democrat will beat the GOP nominee in November. Lets look at the clown show that is the right wing in the U.S.

McCain is nearly 72. Enough said. Reagan was the oldest President the US ever had, and was younger than McCain.

Rudy is a 3 times married, wife cheating, gun hating, abortion loving Republican, which means he will never see the light of day as the right wing nut case nominee. (I'm not disagreeing with his viewpoints, but his party does)

Mitt Romney is a Mormon. Enough said again.

Mike Huckabee is a Baptist Minister who still believes in Creationisn, and has implied he would effectively ignore the separation of church and state clause in the Constitution. Nuff said again.

Jamie.

The fact that you might miss George W makes me wonder if your entire post was a joke...

Last edited:
The whole thing is a total joke.

The candidates have their policies/messages being sprouted every minute of the day on national tv leading up to the Iowa caucus - have done for months.

Except for Clinton and Romney; these two have stood up for zero so far - changing their minds or saying nothing solid on any issue. High profile meaningless lip service.

Then after Iowa, the losers (everyone but Obama and McCain) regroup with their advisers and re-adjust their speeches/messages to give the voters what they want to hear; the stuff that Obama and McCain gave them.

So, it's all just: "oh; that didn't get 'em, so we better say this now".

Other than McCain and Obama, no-one has stuck to their guns come good or bad.

Clinton "threw away the script" after she lost at Iowa, so all she has said (nothing) so far was totally scripted bull. And then won in New Hampshire. Go figure that one.

No wonder no-one votes.

I hope Obama wins.

whoever wins, so will the right wing christian movement.

George Washington would be turning in his grave about now.

I disagree Blue. The outcome as far as the 'right' goes will be much different depending on who wins.

Romney, Clinto, Obama, McCain, etc, etc are all influenced differently by the various pressure groups.

It would be like saying, "whoever wins the Australian election, big business will win..."

Edwards is about to drop out... I'd imagine he is paying about 70/1 online, if you can find someone to take money for him.

100/1 (or $101).

Falling fast....

And either Democrat will beat the GOP nominee in November. Lets look at the clown show that is the right wing in the U.S.

Agreed.

The GOP nomination looks like a poisoned chalice atm.

Rudy is a 3 times married....

Read a very interesting article last week that said Rudy is either a genius, or running the stupidest Presidential campaign in history.

Odds as at 11:30 am NZT, 25 January 2008.

Changes in brackets from 5 September 2007.

CLINTON, Hillary 2.10 (no change)
OBAMA, Barack 3.75 (up from 6)
MCCAIN, John 5.00 (up from 41)
ROMNEY, Mitt 12.00 (down from 11)
GIULIANI, Rudolph 13.00 (down from 6)
BLOOMBERG, Michael 21.00 (up from 34)
HUCKABEE, Mike 34.00 (up from 126)
GORE, Al 71.00 (down from 9)
PAUL, Ron 71.00 (down from 34)
EDWARDS, John 101.00 (down from 20)
RICE, Condoleezza 251.00 (down from 126)
HUNTER, Duncan 501.00 (new)

M

Back