2009 was a good year..where to now?

Hello All,

2009 has been a great year for me despite the GFC...

I managed to buy 3 properties...and entered a regional market (Albury NSW) and the Qld market (Deception Bay & Margate). Some of these properties in hindsight have made me up to $70K in less than a year. I also dipped my toes into substantial renos...and for the most part have gone well.

At the same time I also sold down one property.....

With recent interest rate rises...I am taking stock ...but still plan to buy another 3 next year. The only issue is work which has gotten really busy...I suspect it will be even busier next year...so I will need to hunt in Dec./Jan. 2010.

My plan is to hit 15 properties by next year....and add another 500K to my personal weath in equity. This year was great...i did about 350-400K (very conservative) on existing properties.

What are others doing...would be great to hear your successes.:)

Great stuff Sash, indeed a wonderful year.

We are pleased with our purchases the last 12 months too.

About 11 parcels of land, building on one of them at the moment.

Plenty to go forward with. (More builds).

All regional Vic.

Just keeping it simple for moment, buy well when we can...and in the meantime build our little hearts out.:)

Having a lot of fun.

Hello All,

I managed to buy 3 properties...and entered a regional market (Albury NSW) and the Qld market (Deception Bay & Margate). Some of these properties in hindsight have made me up to $70K in less than a year. I also dipped my toes into substantial renos...and for the most part have gone well.

At the same time I also sold down one property.....

With recent interest rate rises...I am taking stock ...but still plan to buy another 3 next year. The only issue is work which has gotten really busy...I suspect it will be even busier next year...so I will need to hunt in Dec./Jan. 2010.

My plan is to hit 15 properties by next year....and add another 500K to my personal weath in equity. This year was great...i did about 350-400K (very conservative) on existing properties.

Very impressive year results there Sash. Very inspiring stuff.
Where to now?? I reckon you should just keep doing what you are doing :) Seems to be working fine!

Boods

Solid results Sash, well done! I agree keep going with your eye on cashflow being king. I have some great stock in SEQ FYI.

Pete

Hello All,
I managed to buy 3 properties...

Sash
Good to hear you are doing well
2009 has been good for me as well but I've only bought 2 ip's
I could have bought more but I am fussy these days

Hi Sash,

On hindsight GFC was great for us as we both (me and my missus) managed to hold onto our jobs. Note - I am a contractor with an IT company and my contract has been long expired - much like an expired lease but the tenant stays on :)

So yeah, there were some nervous moments about the economy downsizing and the unemployment rising thingy but we managed to add 3 IPs in this period, slightly over a million in value. The eternal optimist in me kept telling me to buy until 80% LVR.

They are all positive to neutral individually and will stay that way until the current interest rates stays under the 7.25 mark. Over that my income from work comes into play.

Now I am ready for the upswing in valuations and if all goes well, will go out shopping in 2010 1st qtr.... :)

Well i haven't done that much. But i have gotten myself a good start on a great education into property investing. At the begining of the year I knew next to nothing. Now I know at least more thenthe average punter (but not as much as some of the other forumites yet). And i have signed contracts on my first IP, although settlement will be next years accomplishment.

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement. Based on the commentary a few of you are active as well.

Frankly, I am amazed that I have got this far....it has certainly been a interesting ride.

I am in the process of applying for more funds.....it looks like the GFC is now truly over as the banks seem to be lending easily again.

I am very keen to keep the momentum going.;)

wow - oo and sash made me feel like i had a very lazy year. our problem is we hit the servicibility wall in april so have had to mark time the rest of the year.

damn banks!

2010 will be our watershed year ... bring it on!

Ditto...

We didn't buy anything else in 2009, but I held on to my job and moved to brisbane. Things settling down now and finally tendering my Mona Vale build. 2010 is the "set-up" year for my portfolio. From there I should be on a solid acquisition path.

Cheers,
Michael

The banks are okay to me....some of them are offering me up to another $2million...so happy days are here again....I think this is because I have fixed most of my rates for 2-3 years.

The only issue I have at the moment is the lack of time to buy....I am working 14 hours days and some weekends!

Perhaps, the interest rate rises will slow things down a bit.....

I agree....2010...might be a very good year.....perhaps I can pick another 3-4 more properties!;)

wow - oo and sash made me feel like i had a very lazy year. our problem is we hit the servicibility wall in april so have had to mark time the rest of the year.

damn banks!

Didnt buy any IP's this year as I bought 3 late last year. I am concentrating on a reno on my PPOR. Had to kick out 1 tennant who didnt think she had to pay rent.

But, I learnt ALOT on here about IP's and all my reading and questions have made me change my tack slightly on the type of IP to buy, especially with some new laws that have just come in (in NSW). I think the new strategy will be better financially for me (us).

Personally not as good- had to give up hope of having another child, am still in career limbo and still dont know which way to go. Have some big projects to finish and a couple that need to start and I am determined that 2010 will be a "get my s*** in a pile" year personally that is.

Once the PPOR reno is over, I will look at refinancing to tidy things up, start on the "dream house" design, start looking at RE ads in case something comes up and I can maybe start the PI car up again and get it moving down the road again.

All in all I consider it a good year as the tips and ideas I picked up this year may very well prove to be the difference between an average and great return.

It's been a great year.

Bought another IP.

Shares went back up.

Economic downturn was far less than feared. The cycle continues.

Ready to buy another IP next year.

Cheers,

Bought one last year, and the year before that, and i'd like to get another next year aswell :)
I'd like to thank many of you across the forum, for inspiring me to pick up my game! I was only getting one every couple of years before stumbling on this site - the few people that knew thought we were high flyers since they don't have any ip's, some still don't even have ppor! Not from lack of us trying to talk them into it, a couple of them have 1 ip now, but we're still looked at like we are flying, so this website is just the kick up the bum i needed :D

We decided to take the plunge this year and we will be settling on our first IP later this month.:eek:
We practically new nothing six months ago, i took advice from a work colleague and wammo, read a couple of books, magazines, this site, mentored by another work colleague who has 8 IP's.
We will see how this one goes, but would like to think we will be looking at another one mid to late next year, and 1 a year at least after that....

We bought 1 IP and 1 PPOR (to become IP in the future) and then sat on our bottoms for the rest of the year. There have been some minimal gains and some stagnancy in different parts of the country where we have our stock, overall, a slight increase.

2010??? I see hope for cheaper entry markets, but with IPs on the up, the top end of the market may stay flat for a bit more...oh crap, my crystal ball just broke, I better stop predicting. :)

The only issue I have at the moment is the lack of time to buy....I am working 14 hours days and some weekends!

perhaps I can pick another 3-4 more properties!;)

Doesnt that exhaust you?

I am working the regular 9 - 5 and bought my first ip. I have put that much effort into the whole thing my energy has been drained. I decided I needed to take a week off. So in 2 weeks time. I have 2 rdos in a row plus 3 days of unpaid leave. I ran out of arl. I decided i'd go with the unpaid leave cos I need the break badly. I'm burnt out. I also was working longer hours in a more challenging job for 4 weeks. That didnt help either.

I think I'd be quite happy to just buy once every 3 years. Its exhausting for sure. I know it gets easier each time but i still think it would be drain on energy levels. I wont be ready financially to buy for another 3 years anyhow so doesnt matter.

1st ip settles in december

Goal for 2010 is to rebuild my cash buffer after having to use half of it to finance the deposit on 1st ip. When I am back up to $35 K buffer I will buy another one! Bring on 2012!

:)

Back