2010 Predictions for Cairns

Why Cairns Was The BIGGEST IP MISTAKE of my life.

1) Greedy builders.
2) Dishonest sales people.
3) Mayor and other councilors lack of business acumen, vision and the ability to diversify Cairns and misappropriation and waste of rate payers money, when it could be used to generate revenue for the town.
4) Lack of employment opportunities.
5) 'M' suburbs ghetto's and their social problems.
6) Too dependent on tourism and still haven't learnt from the mistakes of the 1990's airline strike, with respect to revenue diversification to smooth out tourism fluctuations.
7) Greedy international airport operators ripping off airline companies. This should not be allowed and is extremely dangerous to the local economy.
8) Dengue fever.
9) My emotions! I was sold on a lifestyle and a lie!
10) $100,000 decrease in capital value for my brand new IP in the first 12 months of ownership.

Having considered all of those points I can honestly say that Cairns was the BIGGEST mistake in my life and what began as a romantic and wonderful lifestyle opportunity, ended in disaster. Whilst I accept personal responsibility for my decision to build there, ultimately there are critical fundamental factors especially relating to economic diversity and getting rid of Mayor Val'Cano' before I would ever consider spending one more cent in that town.

Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way, but I won't again I can assure you of that. There is no way I would ever invest in Cairns or any other regional center in this country ever again! Asta Lavista Cairns!

Where did u buy? What suburb & what type of property to lose so much money?

1) Greedy builders.
3) Mayor and other councilors lack of business acumen, vision and the ability to diversify Cairns and misappropriation and waste of rate payers money, when it could be used to generate revenue for the town.
6) Too dependent on tourism and still haven't learnt from the mistakes of the 1990's airline strike, with respect to revenue diversification to smooth out tourism fluctuations.
7) Greedy international airport operators ripping off airline companies. This should not be allowed and is extremely dangerous to the local economy.
8) Dengue fever.
10) $100,000 decrease in capital value for my brand new IP in the first 12 months of ownership.

Having considered all of those points I can honestly say that Cairns was the BIGGEST mistake in my life and what began as a romantic and wonderful lifestyle opportunity, ended in disaster. Whilst I accept personal responsibility for my decision to build there, ultimately there are critical fundamental factors especially relating to economic diversity and getting rid of Mayor Val'Cano' before I would ever consider spending one more cent in that town.

Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way, but I won't again I can assure you of that. There is no way I would ever invest in Cairns or any other regional center in this country ever again! Asta Lavista Cairns!

Being a Townsvillager my opinion would not be accepted as unbiased but Cairns is a great place to visit (if it isn't raining) but no place to live or invest.

1) Greedy builders.
8) Dengue fever.

I think thats sour grapes cause 1-10 could happen in any city on the east Coast of Qld.......

Thing is you cant blame a council for a bad investment...after all they didnt twist your arm.............

Personally I would never buy in Cairns either...too seasonal, too high risk for this black duck...........mind you I know many who did make plenty over the past ten years up that way but are all now long gone..

I wouldnt twist myself into a knot over it....put it down to experience....not many of us havnt made mistakes along the way at some point..............

Ive lost six figures in one investment years ago....did wonders for mentally...became way more shrewd after that...

Lifes all about learning but also accepting responsibility for ones actions....lifes tough sometimes...the tough move on to better things...

Dont give up on regional centres...there are some great places to make plenty of money....

Best of luck...

Back