2010 Predictions

I found these words in my email today. They made a lot of sense in a general way, and I wondered who else may have predictions for 2010 to share or float.

According to the Chinese Astrology, 2010 Year of the Tiger is a metal on wood year. Unfortunately this means the year 2010 will not be peaceful with more international conflicts coming up. (imagine and axe chopping wood and you have the general tenor of the year).

This is the quote I was taken with:
2010 will likely be a tumultuous year, full of ups and downs. Afghanistan will likely get worse, commercial real estate will burst, US state and municipal budget crises will come to a head, and there will probably be substantial rioting and political instability in many parts of the world.

On the other hand, the world will also witness the unleashing of the Asian consumer, increased wealth in emerging resource-rich nations, and, hopefully, a forcible restructuring of many political systems.

With each passing change in the world, a host of new opportunities will arise from which we can benefit both personally and professionally.

So how do you all see 2010?

The US economy is not out of the woods yet so there could be some more surprices coming our way.

The US and other western economies will struggle to manage their big deficites and the share markets could be going down and sideways before it heads up higher.

On the world front, Iran is a worry and their uranium enrichment plans could trigger another war but I don't know if the US can afford to take them on.

On the employment front I expect things to improve and I expect property to be stable or to increase slightly following inflation.

In 2010, my rents will go up enough to give me serviceability to fund at least one other IP in 2010.
OK, it's not really a prediction as I already have the signed 2010 renewal agreements in hand from all tenants and the green light from the broker to go shopping :)

I agree with you BV, Iraq is a worry but I too dont see the US taking them on. Other than that I predict that 2010 will be a good year for me :)

Last edited:
I don't believe in fortune-telling. Chicken's entrails are of no interest. But what you wrote broadly matches my funnymentalist opinions.

It will be a year when some egotists will back their house on one outcome and come up big winners. Others will just fade into the background. Their personal loss may be great but we will be reading about the winners. That's how publicity works.

I think it will be more of the same for me: The margin account stays at zero, no new commitment to property. I will continue to try to find the next Microsoft!

I never base my investment strategies on wishful thinking. But it may work for you. :D

Merry Christmas and may you have the new year you hope for.

There is no wishful thinking... I've been working hard at it for the last 3-4 years, 2010 should be my best year yet regardless of what the economy does.

I found these words in my email today. They made a lot of sense in a general way, and I wondered who else may have predictions for 2010 to share or float.

According to the Chinese Astrology, 2010 Year of the Tiger is a metal on wood year. Unfortunately this means the year 2010 will not be peaceful with more international conflicts coming up. (imagine and axe chopping wood and you have the general tenor of the year).

This is the quote I was taken with:

You can do a lot with the above statements,2010 is going to be a good year,the aussie dollar may well drop below 80 cents,property prices may stall in some places,and interest rates is anyones guess,the equities markets are what they are,90%loose their money the 10% control what the 90% loose,no different from any other time....
I,m looking foward to this year not interested in "gold"just tracking the price of "oil"...........willair.............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABXPICWjFIo

In 2010, my rents will go up enough to give me serviceability to fund at least one other IP in 2010.
OK, it's not really a prediction as I already have the signed 2010 renewal agreements in hand from all tenants and the green light from the broker to go shopping :)

Thats great news Rob and motovating for us

We would like to purchase again in 2010.

Do you revalue your properties regularly to see equity gained and how (valuer, banks, real estate agents, comparable properties?).

When do you know you can afford to buy again?

Thats great news Rob and motovating for us

We would like to purchase again in 2010.

Do you revalue your properties regularly to see equity gained and how (valuer, banks, real estate agents, comparable properties?).

When do you know you can afford to buy again?

My properties are mainly in fairly tightly held suburbs, so it's easy to keep an eye on comparable sales. Also, I've been doing a lot of re-financing recently and the bank valuations have actually exceeded my estimates. This has enabled me to do significant equity "take-out" to help fund additional purchases (or new builds) in 2010.
I've run the rent increases past my broker, who has confirmed I can get a full doc loan/s to help me on my way.
It takes a while, but time and compounding do eventually kick in and the results are inspiring, to say the least.

Back