2010 SUV recommendations

Going back to captivas for a second, anyone see the story on aca (or was it TT) last night about all there problems and they should bring in lemon laws to stop cars like that ?

I am running around in a prado at the moment & just love it!! Doesn't corner like our little Honda jazz does, but boy does it excel at everything else!

Next stop, land rover discovery!!

We have had many Madzas over the years and have generally had a very good run out of them. Currently driving a CX9 which we have had for just over the 12 months. A great car to drive but yes, it does like the juice. Happy to accept that for the secure feeling, the comfort and the ample size for passengers and luggage. I too questioned the tracking when I first saw it but I just cover the tracks with floor mats. (Not practicable I know when you are sliding the seats back and forth on a regular basis.)

I think my hilux is a fantastically safe car on the road (even better off road). The elevated driving position I think is one of the safest things about 4WD's. It increases you line of sight which in turn maximises the time response for stopping distance, etc.(great for looking over other cars)

Unfortunately while you're looking over everyone else, they can't see a thing past you. And you're going to need that extra stopping distance too because by the time you get to something like a Prado, you're looking at over 3 tonnes once people are in it. The stopping distance is even worse again if it has offroad tyres.

It's not that I'm against 4WDs in their intended habitat, I think it's great if they're used to go and tear up the bush or pull a boat. It's the Mosman / Toorak school kid runners and false sense of improved safety which is the concern. If I was a greenie I would also harp on about the environmental impact. Purely objectively, there are simply much better options available (i.e. Holden Sportwagon).

Unfortunately while you're looking over everyone else, they can't see a thing past you. And you're going to need that extra stopping distance too because by the time you get to something like a Prado, you're looking at over 3 tonnes once people are in it. The stopping distance is even worse again if it has offroad tyres.

You may be confusing a Prado with a 200 series Landcruiser? Even the latest Prados would have difficulty getting to 3 tonnes?

BTW, in response to a previous poster, I would consider a Disco a step back from a Prado but that is just a result of the experiences of those around me... A Defender on the other hand is pretty hard to beat off road - and pretty uncomfortable on it. The better suited a car is for off road, the less suited it is for the road - no getting around that!

I am happy enough with the handling of my Prado but only because I know the benefits it gives in the mud and on a beach. It's a light truck on the road so I drive it accordingly. The reason SUVs have fewer accidents is because their handling makes their drivers slower and more cautious. And their consumption heavily punishes a lead foot. The speed limit seems pretty appropriate in my car...

I would not be happy with SUV handling and design if I didn't use it off road though but each to their own...

Congratulations! I also have a 2010 luxury CX7, got one of the first shipments in October.

I am absolutly delighted with it, it drives really well and to be honest that was what sold me as I had test driven most suv prior to purchasing.

I have just hit the 3000k mark and have done some long drives (melb to sorrento) a few times already.
Just to warn you the fuel consumption will be *****house for the first 1500k but I'm averaging 13L and I'm not driving like a pansty or being tight with the acon either.

Prior to test driving I thought I was going to get the captiva. When I jumped in it seemed really plasticy and cheap inside.

I didn't test drive the vw as I was upgrading from that, and I just don't like vw anymore. That is another story for another day.

I think you mentioned it's your wifes car but my other half will drive my CX7 at every chance he can get. Boys will be boys and boys will always love the turbo (even if they deny it!)

Just remember while you're enjoying your elevated position everyone else around you is pissed off because they can't see past your tank.

It's not that I'm against 4WDs in their intended habitat, I think it's great if they're used to go and tear up the bush or pull a boat. It's the Mosman / Toorak school kid runners and false sense of improved safety which is the concern. If I was a greenie I would also harp on about the environmental impact. Purely objectively, there are simply much better options available (i.e. Holden Sportwagon).

And the ute is packed with construction gear in the back.....

Bring it on.

I drive a safe distance behind other cars and this changes due to whether conditions, so no problems with stopping distance. If people behind me took the same initiative, they wouldn't have a problem either:)

Just like I can't see in front of trucks. Same analogy.

Slippery roads call for 4wd mode.

I use the Bruce Higheway north of Brissie daily, and you see so many tossers fly this stretch, it is just a matter of time before they get into some trouble.

Cheers,

F

I love my V8 waaaay to much to drive an SUV. And when this V8 is stuffed I'll buy another.

That said, I'm currently looking at replacing my second car, with a Suzuki Alto!

So isn't that 2009?

Cheers,

F

It does sound strange.

It's a 2009 build but it is a MY10 (2010) model. They had them ready for delivery prior to 2010.

The "2009" model doesn't have intergrated GPS, hands free and 19" rims, the paint colour is slightly dfferent etc. The "2010" model does and my car has all those features.

It is likely that the OP will have his car with a 2009 build date if delivery is expected in Feb.

It does sound strange.

It's a 2009 build but it is a MY10 (2010) model. They had them ready for delivery prior to 2010.

The "2009" model doesn't have intergrated GPS, hands free and 19" rims, the paint colour is slightly dfferent etc. The "2010" model does and my car has all those features.

It is likely that the OP will have his car with a 2009 build date if delivery is expected in Feb.

Ohh. OK..........

F

Curious now. When it comes to resale, the date will be 2009 won't it. Don't they look at the build plate behind the engine, which would be stamped 2009?

Not that it really matters, but it seems that it matters to car dealers when they want to know the year it was made.

if it's an import - there will be a compliance plate which shows when the vehicle was complied with aussie standards (essentially when it was imported)

for example the Jeep i bought was made in 02/2005 but complied in 08/2005

not sure about aussie cars

then there is also a date of first rego

i don't think it's such a big issue, as the number of affected vehicles will be very small, only the floor stock which is supposed to be there by 1st of Jan, and the cars bought in the first month or two. the rest would probably be build already in 2010.

i'm sure dealers know all this better than i do

i prefer not to buy brand new cars, as they will lose half of their value in 3 years.

I am absolutly delighted with it, it drives really well and to be honest that was what sold me as I had test driven most suv prior to purchasing.

That's reassuring Minx....We only test drove the three mentioned, which were shortlisted after 3-4 hours of research on the net....

I have just hit the 3000k mark and have done some long drives (melb to sorrento) a few times already.
Just to warn you the fuel consumption will be *****house for the first 1500k but I'm averaging 13L and I'm not driving like a pansty or being tight with the acon either.

Yeah, have our eyes wide open re the fuel consumption. We aren't likely to do over 17,000km a year.....so can live with 11L = 36L /week.
Though I can imagine the fuel consumption will sting its resale value if petrol moves up. TBH has 5x 30km round trip commute, and we'll use it for for outings on the weekends.

Prior to test driving I thought I was going to get the captiva. When I jumped in it seemed really plasticy and cheap inside.

Yeah, I felt the captiva didn't have the internal build quality of the Mazda, but it was still acceptable. To be honest, the thing I liked least about it is the rear design. It is anaemic and generic from a design POV. I felt the handling was great.

I didn't test drive the vw as I was upgrading from that, and I just don't like vw anymore. That is another story for another day.

Would like to hear that story one day.......personally, I don't think I'd ever got used to the indicators on the left or the extra laggy turbo.

I think you mentioned it's your wifes car but my other half will drive my CX7 at every chance he can get. Boys will be boys and boys will always love the turbo (even if they deny it!)

Yeah it is TBH's, but I am the chauffeur on the weekend. To be honest, my relationship with cars is purely driven by utilitarian considerations first and last. So I'd be happy in anything I don't fret about leaving out in the weather....though is nice to have comfort for longer trips.

My treat this year will be a new road bicycle. Am looking at picking up a titanium frame on my next trip to the USA.

Minx, what do you think of the rear camera? and do you have rear sensors? TBH will need them both. I thought the camera is dangerous because it makes everything look further away than it is.

Troyhunt, I guess the same could be said about my rolls. Very wide and difficult for others to see past let alone it weighs a fair bit and takes a bit of stopping. The only time people cant really see past a 4WD is when they are travelling too close to it. I'm always amazed how often I get tailgated by people wanting to go over the speed limit in their sedans when Im driving just under speed limit in my 4WD van. Mind you the van is the same size as most delivery vans and just has the added bonus of 4WD.

Hi WW

the purpose of the rear view cam is to ensure there is nothing below your view line............like 2 year old on a trike........the park by ear thing is better than park by touch too :)

ta
rolf

Back