2011- what a roller coaster!!!

A colleaguesaid to me that I had had a rough year with both my parents in ICU for a month. This got me thinking about what a busy year it has been.

In January I went on an Intrepid tour from Singapore to Bangkok. I found Malaysia very much like Indonesia (very similar language, architecture) so nothing new to me. Thailand was interesting and I enjoyed that, particularly Koh Samui. I wouldn’t mind going back and seeing a few more islands in the area.
The day I got home our new IP settled and the reno began. New kitchen, bathroom, polish floors in living areas and hall, some painting, big tidy outside. 5 weeks-$15K reno-
In April hubby and I went to London for a few days then hired a narrow boat and relaxed on the canal from Nottingham for a week. We then got the train to Belgium (which I absolutely loved). While there we had WiFi so checked my Email to find our Rhine River Cruise (in 7 days) was cancelled. PANIC. And a few hours later we were booked on a Danube River cruise but it left 600km from where the original one was departing. So long day on the train. We went from Belgium to Holland and I met some relatives I’d never met before then on the Amsterdam. Loved that too. The cruise was AMAZING. Finished in Budapest (was supposed to finish in Prague) so they transferred us to Prague. Prague is now my favourite city in the world. From here we went to Berlin. Another fascinating city.
In July I went to Bali for 10 days. Mainly just lazed on the beach with friends and had a few massages and ate good food, and had a few drinks. Very relaxing.
Got home and our next IP settled. One week, quick reno, $5K. New carpet, paint throughout, painted kitchen doors and put new handles. New floor in kitchen, laundry and carpet everywhere else (except bathroom ). New vanity and toilet.
August I got a call to say my dad had been rushed to hospital. He’s 80 and decided to clean the gutters. He fell off the ladder and broke his eye socket (bad gash too), knee, ribs and arm. He was in a bad way and in ICU for a month. He also needed to have a pacemaker fitted (they think he fainted). He’s nearly back to normal.

October- went to India on an Intrepid tour (Rajasthan) which was pretty amazing. My hubby refuses to go to India so I thought I might as well go while he’s in KL. He goes to the motorbike races each year with his mates.
Got home and went to bed. Next morning got a call to say mum had collapsed. Apparently a week ago she threw up so decided to stop eating. I rang an ambulance and rushed over. She was VERY weak and not very lucid (unlike her). They thought it was just that but 6 hours later they discovered she had double pneumonia (her body just shut down). She was untubated and sedated for a week and SLOWLY started to recover. My brother came down and stayed for a week when she got home. She now has emphysema (smoking for 58 years will do that to you). She stopped smoking. Now has some in home help (and me). She can only just get out now but can’t walk far. She had a very active life so is not coping with being housebound very well.
2 weeks ago settled on out 3rd IP this year (wasn’t planned but fell in my lap and I couldn’t pass it up). Fire damage (not structural). So after 2 weeks we have stripped half the gyprock, scrubbed the rest. Replaced the gyprock and set it. Waterproofed bathroom and half tiled. New kitchen in. Outside painted. Windows inside painted. Once the cornice goes up we are going to spray the whole inside with primer then roll the walls. Reno $20-22K
Also this year- Daughter 1 is pregnant with child number 3.
Daughter 2 got engaged (wedding next year)
Daughter 3 bought her first PPOR
Only son came home (albeit briefly)

So pretty much a roller coaster year for me. Hoping for a quiet 2012.
Starting with a trip to Bali as soon as the reno's finished. Lazing on the beach. mmmm!!

How has everyone else’s 2011 been?

Yep - two close family long hospital stints followed by two funerals - one wedding - three holidays away (1xNZ, 2x interstate - two kids moved out of home - quick reno'd 2 ips - ready and put ppor on market - uncertainty over job after 32 years with same company (still waiting for the official stay or go) ... business took entirely new direction and HUGE learning year.

I am sure there was more, but can't remember! The year went so fast, but it was crazy too ...

Travelbug, you're not named that for no reason. I hope when i get to your age, my investments have set me well enough to travel as often as you do.
good on you !

Back