>220k in frankston, a good idea?

Now, I have been watching the market for two years of late, and have been trying to figure out what would be the best shot. Im 24 years of age (single income), in a decent, good coin and in-demand career (construction surveyor) and have got some savings i really want to do something with. I've got some gold and silver (not alot >5k) which i've had for a year, shares have been a disaster (lost a grand after the greece default thingie) and hasn't really moved all that much.

Now I fully understand where property is heading at the moment, and capital gains are pretty much a no-go, but is it still worth doing something that has very small negitive rent to mortgage cash flow? I dont really need a place to live, as wherever i work in melbourne, my boss will rent a place for me to be. But i still some of my stuff at my parents house. and i go back and stay there on the weekends.

I've had an offer accepted on a two story, two bedroom unit in frankston (next to monash uni) for $221,000 with a 60 day settlement. I would be going in at 80% LVR and borrowing $180,000 . With that repayments would be $1120 a month. The unit is currently being rented out for $990 a month. I've found strata fees are around 800 a year, and council rates would be around that too.

Pro's for the unit:
Near my parents place and where i grew up (frankston too!)
- Next to a university
- In frankston (which i keep getting drummed in about, how it comes up on the top 100 lists all the time for property investment
- Frankston is having some major infrastructure changes in the next few years (peninsula link, hastings marina/port and all the rail upgrades along with that)
- Opputunity to value-add, as it is still very livable, could do with a spruce up

The cooling off period ends on wednesday. So I'm considering my options.

1. go through with it, leave it for abit with the current tenants (claim the negative gearing on tax)
2. Live in it for 6 months are have a friend board in the other bedroom, and do some light DIY , then board out the other room, and hopefully to to get 135 a room which would make it neturally geared
3. Go north or west as a mining surveyor, and try to own it outright over the next two to three years, as well as rent it out
4. Dont go through with it, invest in something else
5. live in it, and make the other room
I was thinking of the SHTF scenario of house prices going down by 60% percent in a year I could try and down pay it as much as i can, then sell up for 60% less, and try and refinance and get something alot bigger and then leverage after a crash.

Please tell me what you think, i was too young (and at uni) to buy pre 06' before the real boom.

Is there anything else bayside that would be above 6% yield?

Hi, You could make improvements to get the rent up to $260pw which will cover your repayments. If you can't increase the rent you can take an Interest only loan which the current rent will cover. Then put all your salary and savings into an offset, that way you'll only pay interest on the difference, and when you've got some $ saved in the offset you can choose to dump it onto the loan or buy another IP :D.

Hi TurkieSub,

IMHO I think a combination of Option 1 and 2 would be best.

Leave it whilst tenants are in - when they move out you can move in and add some value with a renovation.

Once this is done you can then ask a better rent and go west or do whatever you wish.

With regards to the purchase price and comparable properties in Frankston I may be shot down (as I am no expert in that area - plenty who are) but I figure at $220k next to the uni you probably can't go wrong.

One point however - if you do go west put you money into an offset account rather than paying the unit off as this then does not reduce your claimable interest on the property and allows more flexibility for the next one.

Given your numbers, I have added $500 for maintenance, assumed property management fees of 7.7% (incl GST), no vacancy or depreciation, 30% marginal tax and your net return after tax is 4.53%. Is that good enough for you?

By the way, are your repayments based on principal & interest? At 80% lend, a 6.52% interest rate is effectively $1,120 per month payments (P&I). Interest only will average around $960 for the same interest rate. Use the offset to place the $160 difference and you have the same result with the added flexibility of being able to access the funds if required. Given the net funds taking out outgoings will be $913 pcm, interest only is a good option. At 5.8% fixed rates (2yr) available through some lenders now, that is $854.53.

If you have it a PPOR you save $990 on stamp duty. These options are a combination of financial & lifestyle factors which I would find difficult to give advice based on what would best for you.

When I purchased my first property, I loved in it for 18 months, then rented for the following 5 years, whilst I built up my portfolio, and then sold that original place CGT free, 5 years & 10 months later. (refer 6 year rule).

I see its under contract. If that is you, congratulations

Well even if I could get 260 a week, I don't think I will get 7% returns. Its amazes me how some guys can pull 9%'ers!?

Starting to think its not a wise choice

Given your numbers, I have added $500 for maintenance, assumed property management fees of 7.7% (incl GST), no vacancy or depreciation, 30% marginal tax and your net return after tax is 4.53%. Is that good enough for you?

By the way, are your repayments based on principal & interest? At 80% lend, a 6.52% interest rate is effectively $1,120 per month payments (P&I). Interest only will average around $960 for the same interest rate. Use the offset to place the $160 difference and you have the same result with the added flexibility of being able to access the funds if required. Given the net funds taking out outgoings will be $913 pcm, interest only is a good option. At 5.8% fixed rates (2yr) available through some lenders now, that is $854.53.

If you have it a PPOR you save $990 on stamp duty. These options are a combination of financial & lifestyle factors which I would find difficult to give advice based on what would best for you.

When I purchased my first property, I loved in it for 18 months, then rented for the following 5 years, whilst I built up my portfolio, and then sold that original place CGT free, 5 years & 10 months later. (refer 6 year rule).

I see its under contract. If that is you, congratulations

whats a good yield to aim for? ive seen places in morwell for 7 percent, but it has a hell of a lot of vacancys

Back