$2m in 22 months - Rob's story ..

hi rob, would you recommend your current broker?? i thinks its investorsdirect, have they been good to you and given you any different options as regards others?? i was with them but hada bad exprience, and now discount them. but maybe i should talk to them as well.

anythoughts appreciated.

p.s what no property at you at now?? just re-read your goals 10 for 2010?

thanks
yorkie:)

I deal with Amit Sharma in Melbourne. I've found his advice invaluable.
I settled number 7 when I started this thread last year. I had planned to buy one in the SMSF and 2 outside of the fund this year, but I'm now more likely to channel my equity release funds and energy into other investments.
The property is there to provide CG and other investments can provide cash flow (with some CG).
For me, it's about making the most of the opportunities that come about with changing economic circumstances.

so what are the other investments? shares? or prehaps direct business?

you seem to have stopped and not progressing to ip 10?

Some shares, but the other investments are of another nature altogether. Mezzanine Finance is all I'm prepared to say.
I'm open to building the property portfolio to 10, but I'm looking for value. Right now, I'm seeing value elsewhere, that's where I'm investing.
Some of my IP's have valuations at which I'd not be prepared to buy them at the moment. So, the suburbs in which I invest don't look like good value to me, at the moment.
Sure, 10 IP's is on the goal list, but it's a flexible list. I'm not prepared to undo the work I've done over the last couple of years just so I can say "I've achieved my goals for the year." I'm looking at the big picture .. this year and at least 5 after that.
At the moment, I'm securing my position, mitigating against the rate rises that we'll see this year and next and preparing for opportunities that may arise.

"The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself."
Sun Tzu

Are you behind those signs I saw on South Rd yesterday Rob? "Loans up to $600" with just a mobile number. :p

"Sure I can lend you the money, but since you don't have any collateral - I'll have to break your legs in advance." :D

That wouldn't be very Zen would it :)

"Revenge is a poison meant for others that we end up swallowing ourselves. Vengeance is a dark light that blinds all who seek it. The untroubled soul knows there is no justice in revenge. The untroubled soul knows that to seek vengeance is to seek destruction."

Some shares, but the other investments are of another nature altogether. Mezzanine Finance is all I'm prepared to say.
I'm open to building the property portfolio to 10, but I'm looking for value. Right now, I'm seeing value elsewhere, that's where I'm investing.
Some of my IP's have valuations at which I'd not be prepared to buy them at the moment. So, the suburbs in which I invest don't look like good value to me, at the moment.

"The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself."
Sun Tzu

Hey Rob,

Great strategy, have you also considered investing interstate to take advantage of property cycle that might be under value based on long term CG and is now just starting to pick up? I know timing the property market can be extremely hard to achieve but with few years of experience under your belt you should know the signs to look for to get the timing right?

Cheers,
Oracle.

Hey Rob,

Great strategy, have you also considered investing interstate to take advantage of property cycle that might be under value based on long term CG and is now just starting to pick up? I know timing the property market can be extremely hard to achieve but with few years of experience under your belt you should know the signs to look for to get the timing right?

Cheers,
Oracle.

I have considered it, for sure. Partly in an effort to find better value elsewhere and partly to get around land tax issues.
However, the last 2 purchases here represented unbeatable value and were a good, long term strategic play, so that kept me on home ground.
If I do buy another property or two this year, unless I find a good buy/reno/sell deal here, it will likely be a buy & hold in Sydney.
Over time, I've adopted a strategy not unlike KeithJ's strategy in which I use the CG from the property to invest on other asset classes as opportunities arise.

I have considered it, for sure. Partly in an effort to find better value elsewhere and partly to get around land tax issues.
However, the last 2 purchases here represented unbeatable value and were a good, long term strategic play, so that kept me on home ground.
If I do buy another property or two this year, unless I find a good buy/reno/sell deal here, it will likely be a buy & hold in Sydney.
Over time, I've adopted a strategy not unlike KeithJ's strategy in which I use the CG from the property to invest on other asset classes as opportunities arise.

Cool. A very good strategy indeed!

Cheers,
Oracle.

Cool. A very good strategy indeed!

Cheers,
Oracle.

I've learned from the best ie. Rixter & Keithj. Then adapted to suit my own circumstances, objectives and risk profile.
It's worked well for me and will continue to do so.
Thanks (again) Rixter and Keithj for sharing with the Sommersoft community.
Thanks to the Sommers for making this forum available to all, too!

That wouldn't be very Zen would it :)

"Revenge is a poison meant for others that we end up swallowing ourselves. Vengeance is a dark light that blinds all who seek it. The untroubled soul knows there is no justice in revenge. The untroubled soul knows that to seek vengeance is to seek destruction."

I thought Revenge was Sweet?

Brain Study Shows Why Revenge Is Sweet

i.e. :D

HIS PRIDE AND JOY

The wife of radio DJ Tim Shaw saw red when he told glamour model Jodie Marsh on air that he would leave his wife and children for her.

His wife Hayley, who was listening to his show, immediately posted an advert for his £25,000 Lotus Esprit Turbo sports car on eBay for 50p.

The car sold within five minutes.

The DJ had upset his wife previously on air by telling her sister he thought ab out her while having sex with his pregnant wife.

Hayley said: "I am sick of him disrespecting this family for the sake of his act.

"The car is his pride and joy but the idiot put my name on the logbook so I just sold it. I didn't care about the money, I just wanted to get him back."

Yours is a great story Rob, very inspirational.

I remember it was one of the first detailed stories i read when i found the forum last year and I wanted to come back to re read it and say thank you for sharing it.

Had to read it again. Great story Rob. Would be keen to hear how your porfolio has evolved ever since :)

Yeas it's a great story. I had the pleasure of meeting Rob a few years ago. He's the loveliest guy too. Especially as he thought I was a lot younger than I am. :D

Back