3 Pay cycles in December

Happy new year everyone,

I have just looked at my credit card spending in December and have come to the conclusion that the extra pay cycle which fell this month was extremely helpful!

Without this my budget would have been shot for the month and I would not have been able to meet my personal monthly savings target.

Did anyone else receive 3 lots of pay this month, and if so did it enable you to meet the extra costs associated with Christmas more easily?

Regards Jason.

Not me unfortunately! I do get quite a few months with 3 paydays though and have to agree with you that it is very helpful for the monthly budget and finances.

no - our next one is april, but i do like them! we also didn't spend much at christmas - most of the "expensive" present were "bought" using altitude rewards. gotta love 'em.

no - our next one is april, but i do like them! we also didn't spend much at christmas - most of the "expensive" present were "bought" using altitude rewards. gotta love 'em.

Quite the opposite here. We are on a monthly pay cycle, and some months are longer (31 days) than others. Next pay is 15th January.

I didn't spend hardly anything on Christmas either but I have spent a lot on me this month $1500 over budget :rolleyes: thankfully January has 3 paydays for me.

Happy new year everyone,

I have just looked at my credit card spending in December and have come to the conclusion that the extra pay cycle which fell this month was extremely helpful!

Without this my budget would have been shot for the month and I would not have been able to meet my personal monthly savings target.

Did anyone else receive 3 lots of pay this month, and if so did it enable you to meet the extra costs associated with Christmas more easily?

Regards Jason.

Happily, I don't know, and no longer care. :D

RK would be proud; our doodad spending is relatively low, and at present we are winning the "money game" as he calls it. I like the analogy he uses.

We don't do large xmas anyway, so there's no problem with budget blowouts.

We still buy pressies galore, but not (spend) thousands and thousands like some do.

Our preference is to spend less on all the hooplah of xmas, and spend more on holidays and trips away.

Xmas this year for us was a 5 day trip to Cape Woolami starting on xmas eve - rented a house near the beach. Pretty basic, but still great fun. Left on xmas eve to beat the hoards of people who leave on Boxing Day. Great move.

Next year? Who knows where we'll go?!

Back to the topic; if you are concerned about the extra pay, you are not managing the money very well, spending too much on pressies and xmas in general, or both?

On the flip side; if you get the extra pay; it should be whacked into the investment account(s). ;)

Here's a basic tip; budget for 12 months of pay, but only use 48 weeks of it for living and general expenses. This way, you get 4 weeks of investing dollars every year.

Back