Please provide advice on the following situation:

I bought a 1959 PPOR in 2005 as a knock-down rebuild in need of a substantial reno with the intention of developing until 2010 when mortgage would be nil. Circumstances meant no action until now but with recent Gosford CC zoning changes I find myself needing to make an urgent decision: do I knock-down and build 3 townhouses or reno my PPOR and build a granny flat in back yard?

PPOR Purchase price: $300k
Cost of 3 townhouses $700k (selling one at $500k, renting one @ $400 p/w and keeping the other)
Cost of reno & granny flat:$200k (I would move into GF and rent out PPOR ($400 p/w)
Existing mortgage Feb 2014 $70k
I am single so res property can be small

Issues:
Need for accomm during townhouse build so I would still be paying residual mortgage + rent (will be tight on single avg income)
I could build GF, move into it then reno the main house (no rent + mortgage required only increased mortgage which I can cover now)
While I want to build the townhouses, it will be a stretch of finances and the house + GF seems like a cash-cow.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Can you build one town house at the back while you live in the old house. Then on completion move into new house, demo old and build two more ?

Imo townhouse development over gf if you can fund it all and any unexpected costs. Mainly because of the equity gain, cashflow and ability to sell them off.

Cheers

Asset value when built - $1.5m

Building the townhouses, sell one, rent one, live in one means you will end up with two t/h (worth $1m), a rental income of $20k + depreciation and a debt of around $500k (less taxes, selling costs etc).

Building the t/h, sell two will result in small mortgage (even after taxes & selling costs) and a brand spanker for yourself

Build t/h, sell all three, resultant profit, say $400k

If you only do the granny flat & refurb the house you will have a larger mortgage, small cashflow, someone else in your yard and a asset value of less than $500k (and no experience in development work).

For me, it'd be a no brainer - go the townhouses

Thanks HD_ACE for thinking outside the box but I don't think I would get a builder to do this. All builds I've seen are completely blank/vacant blocks before they start which is obviously much easier to have all the services disconnected before they start working/digging.

I know you're right about the townhouses as the best option but I'm hesitant as for me (who's always strictly managed budgets) it's pretty scary getting having such a large debt but the brave prevail!

I created this spreadsheet to see what options I should take (BAU, Granny flat or Duplex).
You can modify to suit your needs. Sometimes it is lot easier to make a decision of you have the numbers infront of you.

Back