3 words increased my rent by 42%

Nice use of Home Staging too. It really makes a difference. After last month WAIP meeting I am really noticing this stuff.

That was an amazing serendipitous thing.
Would you consider doing the same in the future? I know friends with animals who are in similar circumstances. There dogs are fairly large too.
Cheers
AussieFengShui

Matty g thats tha S""t man looks great What was the turn around on the project? from purchase to reno and then the sale ??

Jaime.:) Sorry it was THree mnts my bad missed that in you tube presso .

Last edited:
Thanks for response Mat,

Youtube vid very good.

Did you have any problems with doing reno, when tenant living next door. (From vid, it looks as though there was quite a mess there during the peak of it).

Have to agree with you that it sometimes is better to get the professionals in for some things. It certainly comes up well.

Are these tradies from the GC or Brisbane?

Cheers,

F

Matty

Great job with the reno, looks like a relatively straight forward property to reno with minimal complications/hassles - is this a first attempt for you or your brother. You must be wrapped in the result. Video is equally impressive - always enjoy seeing before and after photos.

A couple of glaring oversights that I noticed considering everything else you did (and this is just an observation and not criticism) is #1 you left the wall tap setup the same in kitchen instead of a sink mounted mixer which would have been easy to do as gyprock wall, and #2 you left the louvered bedroom wardrobe doors instead of replacing. I assume there was a reason for this as the cost would have been minimal?

Of the figures you provided I assume $17k inside was the total of all the internal work for the one unit. Did you extend the shower into the linen cupboard?

pet in my property

I didn't advertise but I didn't stipulate no pets .
I think my tenant is very happy due to the fact that I found out they have a dog when I needed to replace the back fence.
They told me that the dog would have to stay inside for the day the fence was worked on.
The fact that I have not made an issue of the dog is probably keeping my tenants very happy as they keep renewing the lease and pay on time.
:rolleyes:

Nice work Matty
Thx for sharing it...u made it look easy...Were there any major hassles?
Oh and one more question....Was there a reason why you didn't do the two duplexes together to save on time?

Cheers,
John

Last edited:
Hi John,

It was actually pretty smooth sailing. A few minor problems with picking the right tradie. We would have done both together but wanted to keep running expenses low so signed a six month lease on the other duplex. They have now left and have just started the reno's on it. Then will up the rent and re-value.

Beachside,

Yeah mix master...not sure why we didn't put one in probably would have been better. My brother is in charge of all that. I sort out the finances and budget and he sticks to it.
The louvered cupboard doors we thought were pretty cool, gave it a real seaside look. At the end of the day we really had to cut back costs. We spent 17k just on the one duplex inside. It's amazing when you budget a job how you can really find a way of doing it.
I appreciate your comments.

who says you cant make money on renos?

Wow, great job.

And there are lots of people here who say you cant make decent money on renos!!!:confused:

So, did you just buy extremely well or was the purchase price the going rate for that age of place.

What sort of research did you do before hand. I would be interested in the lead up to the reno, what made you buy this, etc.

All in all, a fantastic job. Good on ya!

G'day mate,

In short we bought really well. I believe under market value. Reason being both of these duplexes were being sold together (separate titles) and all first home buyers were not looking at them. They were originally advertised for $625k ($312.5 each) and had been on the market for a while. If you have sold property you know that the first couple of weeks you want to hold out for top dollar but after a couple of months you just want the bloody thing sold. It was a Sydney couple that owned it and was due for some maintenance and just wanted to finally get rid of it. So knowing this info we had the upper hand in negotiating. Funny thing was if they sold each separately they would have got a much better price.
My brother lives on the coast so he knew the area really well. Pretty much thought the location was fantastic for a renter. You can walk to everything. We found out past sales in the area, rang some agents and said what could we get if we did this, this and this. Just asked lots of Q's. Then just went for it...
Cheers
Matt

Hi Matt,

Love your reno job on youtube. Just curious, what does your little brother do for a living? is he an architect or carpenter or licensed builder?
Just trying to get a feel whether just anyone can do what he did or he has some previous experience beforehand.

Nice work Matt

Especially like the rendered finish and front fence- first impressions make such a difference. Ditto the styling- lots of people pooh pooh the idea of spending money on this aspect but believe me when I tell you that some buyers definitely can't see past vacant spaces or clutter to imagine clean lines- I'd style any reno if I was selling as I think it's worth every cent.

Very inspiring to all those of us who are renovators at heart- makes me want to go and start ripping into walls now :D

Great little video too :)

Hi 888,

My brother barley finished year 12. He has no qualifications, but a strong passion to do whatever it takes and willingness to learn a few different things. Anyone could have done the same job!!!

Back