3100 users on the forum !

Sim

Administrator

Wow... I turn my back for a second and another 500 or so users join the forum !

Last time I checked (about a month or so back), there was only 2500, now there is 3100.

Of course there are some duplicate names there, but it does show that the forum is growing quite rapidly !

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1

It's great, but the big question is, has the rate of threads increased, or are they just lurking.?

Are there stats on this??

Another question. Whom do I partition to get the Newsreader functionality turned on.??

I've emailed WebCentral but no reply as yet.

--
Aaron Dwyer
Freestyler Novice
~ To know and not to do, is really not to know at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1.1

Hi Sim,

I was wondering how you got that stat. After looking around I eventually clicked Search Users. Then I clicked Search without a search phrase.

The following statement appeared:

Found 3,104 user(s). Listing 1 - 25. Show Next 25

I'll assume that's how you do it as well.

I suspect there may be some "churning" happening, ie some users who haven't logged on for some time. Pity there isn't a mechanism that purges non-users who haven't logged on for, say, 3 months. That would give us a better picture of actual users.

Then, of course, the system can't collate the "lurkers" even though there are stats on each individuals usage pattern. But who can be bothered to manually collate these.

There are commercial search engines out there like http://www.atomz.com/search/ which can collate all sorts of stats but the price is prohibitive: from $15,000 to $75,000 (based on numbers of users, Web sites, and site size).

While we are on the subject - are there any features people have found on other forum sites that they particularly liked? Would be interesting to know just in case this site is ever modified.

Regards, Mike

Reply: 1.1.1

On 4/19/02 1:13:00 AM, Mike . wrote:
>Hi Sim,
>
>I was wondering how you got
>that stat. After looking
>around I eventually clicked
>Search Users. Then I clicked
>Search without a search
>phrase.
>
>The following statement
>appeared:
>
>Found 3,104 user(s). Listing 1
>- 25. Show Next 25
>
>I'll assume that's how you do
>it as well.

Indeed that's exactly what I did.

>I suspect there may be some
>"churning" happening, ie some
>users who haven't logged on
>for some time. Pity there
>isn't a mechanism that purges
>non-users who haven't logged
>on for, say, 3 months. That
>would give us a better picture
>of actual users.

Agreed, which is why I would suggest there are far fewer than (now) 3105 users suggested there. My guess ? As many as 20% of these users are duplicated... so by my reckoning, less than 2500 unique users.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.1.1.1

Hi Guys

You are forgetting that you don't actually have to "Login" to access the forum. I have a number of guys at work that read the forum and only use the "Guest" function when signing in to read the forum.

When someone comes into read the forum in that manner it doesn't show that person as being actually logged in. Sorry but this really distorts the figures now doesn't it.

Cheers,
Robert

Property Inspection Reports @
http://www.creativefinance.com.au

The Sydney "Freestylers" Group Leader.

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

Good point Rob - had forgotten about those users. However they would come under the "lurker" category as they are definitely not active in posting. But you are right, the numbers of forum readers would probably be higher than those figures indicate.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

Plus if you change your email address a new user record ssems to be created.

Searching in the Z's shows both my current and previous email addresses as two users. But the old one has 0 posts and logins recorded. SO it's a dud dupe.

Bug of the system I think.

Paul Zag
Dreamspinner
The Oz Film Biz site is archived at...
http://wealthesteem.dyndns.org/

Back