$360,000 Perth

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but the figures for much of Perth do not add up. I suspect that this party may well end up in tears, particularly for those with mortgages. Buying the average Perth house now is akin to investing in emu eggs or tree plantations a decade ago.

Take a look at median Perth wages and contrast them to the current median house price for Perth. Make a cutesy graph going back 40 years. Your graph will show that Perth is an overpriced bubble.

I'm not saying prices will crash. But I do believe that prices will be going sideways for many years. If you are borrowing money to buy your Perth IP, you will not be making any real gains unless you bought in very early, before the irrational exuberance.

The lower end of the Perth housing market will not suffer as much as the higher end. A house in Armadale that sells for $290 000 today is not as likely to crash compared to a $800 000 house in Currambine.

Crunch the numbers as I suggested above and you will be able to see past the hype. Graphs will tell you more than what you will read in the parochial Perth newspapers.

How about checking out Ellenbrooke its growing prices are reasonable stage 2 of ellenbrooke shops are due to be completed soon high school is being constucted appartment block going up soon selling i bedders from 310k, great gowth potentials, 10 min drive not even to swan valleym and i think talks of pt upgrades to the area i love the look of it only issue i see is all the roundabouts there!!

How about checking out Ellenbrooke its growing prices are reasonable stage 2 of ellenbrooke shops are due to be completed soon high school is being constucted appartment block going up soon selling i bedders from 310k, great gowth potentials, 10 min drive not even to swan valleym and i think talks of pt upgrades to the area i love the look of it only issue i see is all the roundabouts there!!

I'm looking closer to the CBD. I want something that I would like to live in if need be. Ellenbrooke is just too far away when I work in town.

Think I have decided on Joondanna and surrounding

I don't follow Maddington, don't even know where it is. I'd guess it's not far from Canningvale. (Just had a look at my wall map - near Thornlie. I think thornlie is OK, prob never been to Maddington) But if you think it looks good, go for it. If it's below the median of Perth, a bit feral, not too feral, you know the area and prices well, go for it.

Maddington is a hateful ****hole (sorry maddington dwellers)... it'll probably do really well :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
There's about 4 different parts of Beechboro. You'd have to study area to know which parts are better than others. Beechboro has a lot of Beechboro people living there, but a lot of good people too. (Better than Midland people). :D

Here's a few reasons:
Brand new shopping centre and cafe's in building process - New Woolworths now complete
Extension of Hepburn Ave http://cityofswan.com/council/minutes/2009/February/4February2009/b4-1.pdf
About 15 k from city
Surrounding suburbs are more expensive
Big single residential Blocks
Some Established homes are close to price of vacant land
On the edge of Swan Valley Wineries
20 mins to beach

I dont know the area so thanks for the education :)

Interesting

Beechboro is a large suburb that has developed in a number of stages, the best way to study it is to open your UBD Street Directory to Map 230 and follow the commentary below:

East Beechboro - the trapezoid-shaped area east of Altone Rd through to Lord St, bounded by Reid Highway to the north and Benara Rd to the south. Housing dates from from 1979 through to the late 1980's. Block sizes are typically 600-800m2. Construction is usually brick and tile three bedroom one bathroom detached homes; along with a smattering of duplexes.
West Beechboro - the square-shaped area west of Altone Rd through to Beechboro Rd Nth, again bounded by Reid Highway to the north and Benara Rd to the south. Actually the bottom left-hand corner of this square is cut out and called "Morley" which is out of character if you look at the map or drive the street; for example the north of Darwin Crescent is Beechboro but the southern section is Morley. Beechboro residents know that these Morley residents really wish they were in Beechboro and might even petition for a suburb name change. Housing in West Beechboro dates from mid to late 1980's. Block sizes are typically 600-800m2. Construction is predominantly brick and tile; and the houses while still a majority of 3x1's, have increased in size and include a small number of 4x1's and some 4x2's.
Timberlane Estate - a chunk of houses to the western extreme of Beechboro, defined by the boundaries of Reid Highway, Beechboro Rd North and a dotted line on the southern edge running along the backyards of Blackboy Way. There is a tiny pocket of Morley just below Timberlane - see the previous comments on West Beechboro!
Orchid Park - a pocket of houses in the north-western corner of Beechboro all by themselves. There is only one access road being the roundabout turnoff into Orchid Ave off Beechboro Rd North. Orchid Park housing was constructed from around 1989 to 1995, and consists of brick and tile 3x1's and 4x2's. Historically this subdivision was not popular due to its remote location and lack of nearby amenities; however the recent construction of a shopping centre opposite the entrance roundabout has changed this. The street names of Orchid Park are named after various types and parts of orchid flowers, such as niltonia, denia and stylis. The Marshall road powerlines are prominently visible along the boundary of Orchid Park, backing onto parts of Mitra Lp and Orchid Ave.
Bennett Springs - popular and the most expensive subdivision of Beechboro, Bennett Springs is a long rectangular chunk of land sandwiched between Reid Highway and Marshall Rd, bounded by Bennett Brook on the east and Beechboro Rd North on the west. Released from the late 1990's and stil being developed today, Bennett Springs consists almost entirely of brick and tile 4x2's. Exceptions include occasional two-storey homes, a few 5x2's and a smattering of original dwellings built before the subdivision occurred. Like Orchid Park, the powerlines of Marshall Road are obvious from the northern part of Bennett Springs; in fact selected blocks along Wintergreene, Turnstone, Portland, Driftwood and Oriole roads actually go underneath the lines. The long-awaited Springs shopping centre has greatly increased the amenity of the subdivision. Beechboro Christian School is also resident in the suburb. Birds are the theme for Bennett Springs street names, with such beauties as fairywren, whimbrel and spoonbill.

Last edited by a moderator:
mine as per previou posts I guess...

guess I should look into Ellenbrook as a suburb etc to decide that...

the cheapest rent I could see on re.com was $310, but they wree all 3 beds, but I dont know too much else about Ellenbrook, except where it is on the map.

the price of the place made me look twice though

So how do people determine the first, let's say you start looing at "government, the commercial/retail and the private sectors were injecting money" (the 2nd part of the criteria you shoudl be able to judge when looking at the shortlisted suburbs) I guess.

Thanks mate, I appreciate your time and effort.

Jaycee here's a Starting Point for your DD mate.

Perth is getting pricier by the day. Not quite a bubble as yet - but it will be soon enough if it keeps going this way

you sure i sold 2 bed villa in hastings st scarb in 2008 495 k . since rezoned to 57 units from 16 villa's .would give ocean views . one sold feb. 95 k less.

personally better things to put money in atm things looking shakey

you sure i sold 2 bed villa in hastings st scarb in 2008 495 k . since rezoned to 57 units from 16 villa's .would give ocean views . one sold feb. 95 k less.

personally better things to put money in atm things looking shakey

Markets within markets, can never generalise "Perth" as a single market. I've had a property increase 20% in the last 12 months.

Back