360k Where to Invest South East QLD

Finally after being given the green light for a 90% loan which allows for excess funds to be parked into the offset, now the big question is where to invest with a limited budget topping out around the 360k mark. I will be looking at property that has room to add basic cosmetic upgrades to increase value/rental yield.

All signs point toward South East QLD for the market to be in for 2015 & one where the yields are still manageable, Initial thoughts was an older 2 bedder inner Brisbane unit, concerns being the amount of investors fighting to get into the market there, strata fees, possible future over-supply & therefore less room for rental yields to rise.

A couple of regular posters steered my thoughts toward a house further out with land component, I had initially looked toward the Logan / Ipswich surroundings but the constant message I keep hearing about buying into Brisbane is getting closer into the CBD & into an area with tighter land supply, this looks to be the same as Kippa-ring / Kallangur surrounds. I could always get in closer on the north side Taigum, Fitzbibbon, Zillmere etc, or southern Capalaba surrounds but land component is likely to be very small for the budget in those areas.

My budget obviously doesn't allow for development but what would be a basic guide to minimal land size .. I'm guessing at least 400sqm in areas closer in but ideally 600sqm+ which would mean much further out?

So to keep this short, as I'm buying from overseas & decided that a buyers agent option is the most sensible, I don't think it would be fair for anyone who has done all the hard work & researched the best place to invest but I would love to hear which region investors would suggest so I can jump on a buyers agent in that area & stop hitting my head against the wall procrastinating. Even it was stick to inner city unit, outer north side house, outer south side house, or even gold coast toward Coolangatta & sunshine coast where vacancies are low. Any thoughts would be great & a huge help! Cheers in advance!

Finally after being given the green light for a 90% loan which allows for excess funds to be parked into the offset, now the big question is where to invest with a limited budget topping out around the 360k mark. I will be looking at property that has room to add basic cosmetic upgrades to increase value/rental yield.

All signs point toward South East QLD for the market to be in for 2015 & one where the yields are still manageable, Initial thoughts was an older 2 bedder inner Brisbane unit, concerns being the amount of investors fighting to get into the market there, strata fees, possible future over-supply & therefore less room for rental yields to rise.

A couple of regular posters steered my thoughts toward a house further out with land component, I had initially looked toward the Logan / Ipswich surroundings but the constant message I keep hearing about buying into Brisbane is getting closer into the CBD & into an area with tighter land supply, this looks to be the same as Kippa-ring / Kallangur surrounds. I could always get in closer on the north side Taigum, Fitzbibbon, Zillmere etc, or southern Capalaba surrounds but land component is likely to be very small for the budget in those areas.

My budget obviously doesn't allow for development but what would be a basic guide to minimal land size .. I'm guessing at least 400sqm in areas closer in but ideally 600sqm+ which would mean much further out?

So to keep this short, as I'm buying from overseas & decided that a buyers agent option is the most sensible, I don't think it would be fair for anyone who has done all the hard work & researched the best place to invest but I would love to hear which region investors would suggest so I can jump on a buyers agent in that area & stop hitting my head against the wall procrastinating. Even it was stick to inner city unit, outer north side house, outer south side house, or even gold coast toward Coolangatta & sunshine coast where vacancies are low. Any thoughts would be great & a huge help! Cheers in advance!

Probably redcliffe peninsula

If you want to add value in future then you might be able to get an old house in brighton
Also havnt looked lately but I would look at thorneside for a house - pretty nice area

Cheers Jenko & Strongy!! Covers both outer north & south sides so a huge help & gives me a great base to kick off the weekends research.. vacancy rates/yields/days on market/owner to rental %/DSR etc

On a side note, just seen a clip saying Brisbane will really kick up once gold coast & sunshine coast markets pick up, i had thought it would have been the other way around with all the development projects set for Brisbane.

Cheers again!

Obviously depends on your investment strategy - i.e apartment, house and land or townhouse or old house and development/ reno.

For me - Brisbane inner city is a no - overpriced and seeing comparable prices per sm as Melbourne which is ridiculous, the chinese see it as cheap which is not good for my investment in the next 10-15 years.

GC - there are pockets but not too favourable.

There are great opportunities on the Sunshine Coast - I hit Buderim, fantastic growth and infrastructure projects with little to no vacancy rates which is awesome.

For Development - south of Brissy - Logan - still close enough to the city

I looked at Redcliffe but gave it a miss.

Hope that helps,

Cheers, Ivan

If you are looking at Redcliffe there are some great pockets that have some increased density coming in the new Moreton Bay planning scheme. Even if you don't want to develop yourself, buying a block with a house now at resi prices that will allow 9 units under the new scheme will do wonders for your equity.

Everton Hills also has a lot that is being rezoned to 4 storeys and very small lot infill development.

Hi rpi,

I have looked on the moreton bay council website regarding the everton hills rezoning you mention but cannot find exact specifications or maps. Do you have a link or do we need to ring council ?
Thanks

Hi rpi,

I have looked on the moreton bay council website regarding the everton hills rezoning you mention but cannot find exact specifications or maps. Do you have a link or do we need to ring council ?
Thanks

All been pulled down and not available anywhere online as far as I am aware. Being modified since the public display and feedback and will go up again next year.

If you are looking at Redcliffe there are some great pockets that have some increased density coming in the new Moreton Bay planning scheme. Even if you don't want to develop yourself, buying a block with a house now at resi prices that will allow 9 units under the new scheme will do wonders for your equity.

Everton Hills also has a lot that is being rezoned to 4 storeys and very small lot infill development.
What is the minimum block size for rezoneing in Redcliffe's ?

Most employment growth in Brisbane over the next 10 years is going to be concentrated on the Brisbane CBD and inner suburbs - in particular the inner northern suburbs and around the airport, which is also on the northside.

That to me says get as close to the CBD as you can for your budget and ideally nice and close to major public transport corridors (preferably trains).

Out of all of the suburbs you have suggested - that points to Zillmere/Fitzgibbon etc. I'm a particular fan of Fitzgibbon given how reasonable the prices are compared to the suburbs it borders.

I personally am not hugely fussed about land content. I have no issues with purchasing a smaller block if all of the other factors stack up, particularly if there is some other green space (e.g. park) close by. In terms of a place to rent out, many renters prefer to not have too much of a yard to maintain.

If you buy right and have good links to employment growth the CG should occur regardless.

My 2c

Most employment growth in Brisbane over the next 10 years is going to be concentrated on the Brisbane CBD and inner suburbs - in particular the inner northern suburbs and around the airport, which is also on the northside.

That to me says get as close to the CBD as you can for your budget and ideally nice and close to major public transport corridors (preferably trains).

Out of all of the suburbs you have suggested - that points to Zillmere/Fitzgibbon etc. I'm a particular fan of Fitzgibbon given how reasonable the prices are compared to the suburbs it borders.

I personally am not hugely fussed about land content. I have no issues with purchasing a smaller block if all of the other factors stack up, particularly if there is some other green space (e.g. park) close by. In terms of a place to rent out, many renters prefer to not have too much of a yard to maintain.

If you buy right and have good links to employment growth the CG should occur regardless.

My 2c

I think close to the city is good if your under say 10km. Any further out and it could be a bit of a lottery. In my opinion (Brisbane) a bayside suburb like wynnum manly sandgate brighton will perform better than run of the mill suburbs 10 - 20k out
Being close to the city only really becomes great for capital gains once a city reaches critical mass. Footscray, Brunswick, redfern
Brisbane isn't really there yet

Close to employment? Not really sure it's a big deal. It's more about a nice location
But yes it does have to be a reasonable commute

Last edited:

My 2c

Just wonder what your going to buy in the CBD or a inner suburb for $360k ?

Just wonder what your going to buy in the CBD or a inner suburb for $360k ?

I'm not suggesting buying IN the CBD or inner north but simply saying buy something with good links to these areas because that's where the employment growth is going to be. To me, good links means 30min max by reliable and regular public transport (which in Brisbane, generally means trains, so I always buy max 1km walk from train stations).

For 360k you would be looking at Zillmere (you could go a basic house if you buy right or decent townhouse) and there are also plenty of decent houses in the old part of Fitzgibbon (but make sure you stick to the side closest to Carseldine station) for around that money.

I like this part of the northside because it is affordable yet has excellent access to both the CBD and the airport precinct (where the majority of employment growth is projected to occur).

I'm also thinking about purchasing in North Brisbane. Can anybody shed some light on why stamp duty in qld is so much cheaper for ppor than investment? Is there a way around paying the 'investment' stamp duty and only paying ppor stamp duty?

I'm also trying to look at suburbs no more than 12-15km away from Brisbane cbd with a budget of approx 400k. Can anybody suggest any areas to me. I seem to keep looking at Chermside, but i think it could be out of my budget.

What up and coming infrastructure will Brisbane be receiving in the near future. I was looking to buy in Brisbane for my first ip. I have about $130,000 in equity so would I be better to buy a house or possibly 2 units. What areas do people recommend around early next year.

Have been out of the country for the past week, thought I?d share some of the numbers of the areas that have been mentioned. When looking at Median price Redcliffe, Zillmere & Caboolture fit within the budget, these aren?t the standout suburbs as compared to the Brighton?s Thornside Everton Hills Wynnum?s & Buderim?s who sit well above the 400-500k range. So unless I?m looking at a place on a major road, or in need of a total reno which would be impossible not living in Aus, then I?d be restricted to a unit in those areas.

So for a brief look at Redcliffe, Zillmere & Caboolture:
DSR: Caboolture looks to lag behind the other 2, Redcliffe & Zillmere healthy mid range.
Yield: All evenly spread around the 5% so will struggle to tread water on its own.
Vacancy: All under a healthy 2%, Caboolture being the tightest at 0.9%
Owner Occ: All around the 50/50 ratio when as compared to the more expensive suburbs where it?s a healthier ? Owner occ. Guessing more vulnerable to economic downturn & difficult for rental to be raised when tenants have more options for another property in the same area?
Days on market: All under a healthy 100 days except caboolture where in the mid 150?s so sitting on the market longer. More power to negotiate!
Discounting: Strangely Zillmere is -7.5% Does this mean they are over-priced?
Growth: No standouts in the 3/5/10 year range .. Caboolture negative the last 3 & 5 years, the others in the 1-3% range. Yes it was similar with the now booming Sydney marke, doesn't have the same land supply constraints but hopefully the price margins will catch up!
Pop Growth: Redcliffe & Zillmere look good at over 10% in the past 3 years, Caboolture flat.
Unemployment: With the states av. At 6.3% Zillmere looks much tighter around the 3% where the other 2 well above 7%

With the Aussie dollar finally much lower I?m much more confident that the south east qld market will benefit, the near term concern is unemployment is expected to continue rising next year upward of 7% which worries me the outer CBD areas are going to suffer the most, Redcliffe already high enough as it is.

So next step which is much more important than above is seeing which way they are trending, working out the council?s zoning & development plans & talking to ppl on the ground there! Cheers for all the posts guys, keep them coming :)

Back