3D - Anybody here have trouble seeing the full effect?

Hi All,

Just got back from the movies with my son, we saw Avatar in 3D........

People say, did you see that thing jump out at you, i just can't see it :(

GG

Colourblind?

Hi mate,
I suffer a degree of colourblindness & struggle with those 3D magic books, maybe I should save the $ and just see Avatar at home once it hits DVD?
May be your problem also?
No big deal, however freaks out people when driving with me & I tell them I struggle with Reds & Greens - AHHHHH Red light! Just joking - only when they are mixed together (ie drop a small red object in really green grass & don't expect me to find i!)
Cheers
Matt

colourblindness is definitely a reason you may have trouble with it. It is exceedingly common, in particular amongst males, many of whom are even unaware they may not see the full spectrum of colours. (ie, may see green, but be unable to distinguish between types of green).

wOW - never considered that. My son is colour blind and we've taken him to a few 3d movies and it never occured to me. It's kinda weird though when he is trying to describe someone and says they have green hair.

It doesn't actually LAUNCH out at you..it's a quite subtle overall 'pop' effect...where most things feel like it has more substance.

Hi mate,
I suffer a degree of colourblindness & struggle with those 3D magic books, maybe I should save the $ and just see Avatar at home once it hits DVD?
May be your problem also?
(ie drop a small red object in really green grass & don't expect me to find i!)
Cheers
Matt

Yer that's what my son's like too. I was a little bit horrified when he painted a gnome with red eyes. then he was playing with some unlit globes from christmas lights and he couldn't tell the diff between red and green.

I have astigmatism sp? which means without glasses I see everything with a "ghost " on either side, which is how 3d looks without the glasses. If I don't wear my normal glasses under the 3d glasses it looks rubbish and I don't enjoy it. It is worse as I get multiple ghosts and it's like watching tv in the 70's with lousy reception!

Have you had your eyes checked?

Oh, i can't see those "magic" pictures either. I think everyone who can is lying;)
lol

I have astigmatism sp? which means without glasses I see everything with a "ghost " on either side, which is how 3d looks without the glasses. If I don't wear my normal glasses under the 3d glasses it looks rubbish and I don't enjoy it. It is worse as I get multiple ghosts and it's like watching tv in the 70's with lousy reception!

Have you had your eyes checked?

Oh, i can't see those "magic" pictures either. I think everyone who can is lying;)
lol

I'm with you, Joan. I also have astigmatism, and have the same problems, and "magic" pictures definitely aren't really there!
Pen

I have seen the magic pics only 2 or 3 times. So I guess they are there - sometimnes anyway :rolleyes:

My eyes are fine although starting to get normal ageing deterioration.

Another cause is being dominant with one eye.

You can force your brain to use your ignored eye, by wearing a patch over the dominate eye for an hour or even less, and things will become corrected. You'll notice the improvement straight away when you remove the patch, and if you eventually notice that one eye is becoming dominate again, you know how to correct things. A common cause of one eye becoming dominate, is frequent use of just one eye, such as watching the stars through a telescope every night, etc.

Also be aware that using an eye patch means that you'll lose your depth of perception/ability to judge distances, and of course half of your peripheral vision! So no driving, bicycling, or anything which requires much attention of your surroundings when wearing the patch, just stuff like eating dinner, watching tv, reading stuff on somersoft, etc

i find the 3d gives me headaches - so will wait for the 2d dvd to come out.

and YES - those magic pictures are real. i can look at them no trouble

if you have a lazy eye (amblyopic) (one eye that has poor vision) or a turned eye (eg. one eye turns in or out) then you may not see 3d.
Both eyes need to have simultaneous vision in order to see 3d.

I love those 3D magic pictures. I was a kid when they first came out. I love the idea of "look at it, but not at it, look through it" and bingo! there's the picture. Magic

Me too. I can remember a vendor selling large framed ones in the middle of Indooroopilly shopping centre, and overhearing some older people saying they were B.S. and didn't get it. I on the other hand was browsing them for ages!

ojoej3.jpg

-Ian

Another cause is being dominant with one eye.

You can force your brain to use your ignored eye, by wearing a patch over the dominate eye for an hour or even less, and things will become corrected. You'll notice the improvement straight away when you remove the patch, and if you eventually notice that one eye is becoming dominate again, you know how to correct things. A common cause of one eye becoming dominate, is frequent use of just one eye, such as watching the stars through a telescope every night, etc.

Also be aware that using an eye patch means that you'll lose your depth of perception/ability to judge distances, and of course half of your peripheral vision! So no driving, bicycling, or anything which requires much attention of your surroundings when wearing the patch, just stuff like eating dinner, watching tv, reading stuff on somersoft, etc

Does that mean that all pirates are actually trying to improve their bad eyes?:)
...how do you explain the parrots...

...and wooden legs...

:D:D:D

if you have a lazy eye (amblyopic) (one eye that has poor vision) .........
Both eyes need to have simultaneous vision in order to see 3d.

Yep! That's my problem alright.

Monocular vision causes a few more serious issues as well. For instance, depth perception.... mine is learnt not seen. :( I only focus out of one eye, so learning to play cricket & football was a bit of an issue in my younger years. ;) <--- it's like that 24/7......

Does that mean that all pirates are actually trying to improve their bad eyes?:)
...how do you explain the parrots...

...and wooden legs...

:D:D:D

That's the other problem of wearing a patch, you'll hear a few bad pirate jokes.

There are quite a few girls that are really into to it for some reason! Maybe Johnny Depp has something to do with it, I dunno :confused:

Back