3D Movies & 3D Glasses

I bought a Smart LED 3D TV this week which came with 2 pairs of 3D glasses (battery operated).

I've also kept the 3D glasses (non battery operated) from a few visits to 3D movies at the theatre and have about 3 pairs. How come these ones 'work' at the movies but not by watching 3D on my TV?

The TV works on an "active" system that needs battery powered glasses to synchronise to the screen. It also means the glasses have to be made specially for the TV,

The Y-man

I bought a new TV about 2 years ago and went for the "passive" 3d LG rather than the "active" system used in others. As Y-Man said, the passive systems use the cheap cinema glasses.

Technically the passive 3d is lower resolution than the active, but the deciding factor for me was the thought of the $150 glasses being left on the lounge and sat upon. Four pairs of these glasses is about half the cost of a new TV these days.

I bought a new TV about 2 years ago and went for the "passive" 3d LG rather than the "active" system used in others. As Y-Man said, the passive systems use the cheap cinema glasses.

Technically the passive 3d is lower resolution than the active, but the deciding factor for me was the thought of the $150 glasses being left on the lounge and sat upon. Four pairs of these glasses is about half the cost of a new TV these days.

They are a lot cheaper online than in store .

There is passive technology that uses the 3d glasses from the cinema. I think these use different polarised images from a special screen. The active shutters block off one eye and open up the other very quickly so one eye gets one image and the other eye the other image. This creates the discrepancy in vision that gives the 3d effect. Passive glasses are worse quality than active. And led is slower at refreshing than plasma so you get more ghosting with led. There are a lot of setups out there that do sub par quality 3d. Try out a Panasonic plasma 3d TV they do a really good job .

How come these ones 'work' at the movies but not by watching 3D on my TV?

It's all tied into the refractive index of the lense, which is suited for the focal length of the viewer from the screen. Obviously this distance is much larger in the cinema.

The ionic diodes implanted in the TV screen give off helical rays at a certain frequency in Hz. These are refracted via the concave lense and then into your eye, giving the impression of a 3D image to the viewer.

This is in total contrast to the movie screen, which projects flickering multiple images to form a Hyzenburg array, which arrives into the lenses and crucially forms the 3D image outside of your actual eye.

You can adapt the cinema going glasses to match your individual private TV screen by simply spraying a thin film of Glen 20 onto the lenses, and then smearing with a matchhead. This will need to be repeated every 20 minutes or so, or until it starts to drip dry.

Sony are coming out with a new Ipzoid lense in the next few months which will capture all Hyzenburg arrays, regardless of the concave focal length.

Convex lenses still will not be able to be converted.

You had me until...
...This is in total contrast to the movie screen, which projects flickering multiple images to form a Hyzenburg array...

For a moment you had me Dazz. :D

I just did a Google search and the only match to "Hyzenburg array" on the whole of the internet is this post.

(Actually, you lost me with the Glen 20.)

i got a 3d tv as it was only $50 more than the non 3d one same size same brand and a better screen also come with 4 pairs of glasses
downside is its in the bedroom on the wall and even though i have the wall mount fully tilted down the 3d doesnt display properly as its not at the right angle.
so even if i wanted to watch 3d i couldnt.

3d/smart tv etc are just gimmics i dont find either useful but you basically cant buy one without it these days. and if you can it cost just as much anyway
3d normally has a higher refresh rate to help motion blur.

3D died last year because there's no content.

3D television, born 2009, died 2013. Deeply mourned by television manufacturers, hardly noticed by buyers.

With Foxtel's announcement in late July that it was ditching its no-longer-viable 3D channel, owing to a worldwide lack of 3D content production, the failure of 3D has become official. All the hype put into it by manufacturers has been cancelled out by the simple fact that no one wants to wear special glasses to watch telly.

Deniers are still clinging to the numbers - independent analyst DisplaySearch notes that 41 million 3D televisions were shipped last year, up from 24 million in 2011. Proof, the deniers say, that buyers worldwide are clamouring for 3D. The realists say it's more a result of almost all premium televisions having 3D whether buyers want it or not.

Those realists include an importer I spoke to last year: ''The most common question I hear when 3D is being demonstrated is, 'Can I turn it off?''' he said. Floor staff I approached at several big retailers were jaded, too. They say buyers asking for 3D are so rare they're practically non-existent.

Some, such as Alex Encel, a Melbourne importer handling high-end audio and televisions, saw its fatal flaw from the beginning. In 2010, he assured me 3D would fail, because of the glasses required for viewing.

Does he feel clever, now he's been proved correct?

''Not especially,'' Encel says. ''There were plenty of smart people back then who predicted its failure. What surprised me was that so many smart people said it would be successful. But then, lots of smart people said we'd win the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.''

Read more here

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-sty...d-for-3d-tv-as-we-know-it-20130815-2rxnx.html

I'm not saying I'm a huge fan of 3D (it's gimmicky let's face it), I do think some movies are better in 3D. Gravity for example which I watched last weekend.

I've downloaded 16 3D movies so far, 7 kids and 9 adults - maybe that's all I'll get?

I'm also hoping the David Attenborough Museum show that I recorded will be better in 3D too. Apparently the exhibits come to life - nothing like a dinosaur coming at you out of the TV! But other than that it's not like I want to watch EVERYTHING in 3D.

Back