4 Ingredients

These ladies have self-published a book, 4 ingredients, which is currently the number 1 selling cookbook in Australia.

My wife has to interview them next week for a magazine article she is writing. Up until now, she has been doing proofreading and editing but, if she enjoys it, she might get into the writing side also.

They have had multiple media appearances, with the Gordon Ramsey/ Nigella Lawson questions frequently occuring. She is looking to write about them from a different angle. What would you like to know about them?

http://www.4ingredients.com.au/

http://www.smh.com.au/news/books/cl...challenge-harry/2008/01/11/1199988590850.html

It is a new magazine starting with a target audience of professional women and affluent readers, 25-54 years.

Last edited:
So maybe told from a business perspective?

How they went from concept to current successful business.

What the challenges are and the rewards?

Work / life balance

Partnerships - what they learnt and what they might do better next time?

What were the keys to their success?

I got one a few months ago from the book shop in Carindale, probably Angus & Robertson. I would say most book stores would have it.

Yeah they've had a dream run with the press.
I always like to know who these people know to get a rap with Today Tonight or Current Affair. Appearances on either of those can sell 10,000 copies.

Nevertheless.................

I saw their gig on Today Tonight and wasn't impressed with their meals.
I thought their skew was nutritionally compromised and unbalanced....especially so if pregnant, ill, or under 18.

And sure, their defence will be "well we aren't dietitians, and don't pretend to be. We're just a couple of Mums who understand how time poor busy professional women are. "

Based on that logic, they'd probably advise professional women not to bother seeing a doctor (all that wasted time in the waiting room), but rather just use a bunch of natural remedies from Forrest Glen Natural Foods.

So I'd be interested to know if the meals are targeted at busy professional women, can we assume 'single busy professional women with no responsibility to provide a balanced diet to children.'

Might be fine for them to promote an unbalanced diet to allaboutme's like them, but what about parental responsibility to kids. But then again, I guess anyone with half a brain and a sense of parental responsibility would already know to steer away from a book with such a title.

I'd also be interested to know why they deliberately do not put examples of their menus on the website.

But personally, after seeing the Today tonight example of their recipes, I can understand why.

I have nothing positive to say about them, and think they are just another part of the loud background noise that makes it hard for scientifically validated information to be heard and understood by the people who need it most.

But there's no rule saying we have to be wise or scientific in taking responsibility for our health. Just a pity that everyone expects the public health system to clean up the mess.

Where do you get it from?
4 Ingredients can also be purchased in Australia at Myer, Big W, Kmart, Dymocks, Angus & Robertson, Borders, QBD all other good bookstores and even some newsagencies... or you can buy it via their website.

Thanks for the input GoAnna!

To be honest, I have only opened it once and skimmed a few recipes. I put it somewhere safe.... and haven't seen it since.

I think it is probably aimed at those nights when you don't want to spend money on takeaway food but don't want to cook anything elaborate. Let's face it, with only four ingredients, you cannot get too adventurous.

I must dig it out again and try a few out. But I agree that to use it every night is not the aim (or at least I hope not).

Yeah they've had a dream run with the press.
I always like to know who these people know to get a rap with Today Tonight or Current Affair. Appearances on either of those can sell 10,000 copies.
I am always wary of products that state "as seen on ACA or TT"

I guess the reason their recipes aren't on the website is because then they wouldn't sell as many books? Have to give them credit for their marketing really; wouldn't be too bright to put the recipes on the website and lose booksales.

I haven't seen the book or any of the recipes, so can't comment on the nutritional value. My wife has a copy but I won't get to see it for a few weeks... I will take a look then.

Agree with you about the scientifically validated information. However, I wouldn't generalise and say "everyone expects the public health system to clean up the mess." Sure, there are a lot like like that but a lot of people who aren't and do take responsibility for their health.

You can subscribe and receive emailed recipes for free. Here is their latest email containing 2 recipes and their latest goss. It may be some inspiration for your wife to ask questions.

Olly

Asparagus Canapés
A recipe from Wendy Beattie Gold Coast - this is absolutely fabulous for when guests drop in!

• 2 bunches asparagus
• 125g camembert
• 100g prosciutto

Cut the bottom off each asparagus spear and rinse. Cut 3cm strips of prosciutto with scissors. Cut half of the camembert wheel into long, thin strips. Lay prosciutto flat horizontally, place one asparagus spear vertically on the meat. Lay a slice of camembert along the asparagus and roll the prosciutto around its contents. Place on a baking tray and bake in a 150C oven until the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.

Tangy Lamb Balls
Serves 4. A recipe from Perditta O’Connor Stanthorpe - our little boys LOVE this recipe and a great trick is to shred some vegies into the mix too!

• 500g lamb mince
• 1 tsp. curry powder
• 3 tbs. sweet chilli sauce
• Juice of 1 lemon

Place all ingredients into a large bowl and combine. Roll into patties and fry in a non-stick frying pan until crunchy on the outside (this means it is cooked well on the inside).

Optional: Serve with jasmine rice and a mint yoghurt dipping sauce or simply roll into small balls and serve with sweet chilli sauce as a nibble on their own. DELICIOUS!

The latest Gossip...

Rachael & Kim bring 4 Ingredients to the small screen! We can't wait any longer to share our very exciting news with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are absolutely THRILLED to announce to you all that we have signed a contract to make our own TV show with The LifeStyle Channel! After dozens of offers, lots of meetings and even more tooing and froing with lawyers we are very happy to have joined with the friendly team who value family as much as we do in creating a 6 episode series we hope you'll enjoy! We've had a stack of input on the show and we'll still be focusing on how to save more time and money in not just the kitchen but at home too! We have been filming in a postcard beautiful apartment on the Sunshine Coast overlooking the most amazingly blue crystal clear waters. We will be the hosts of the show and it is due to air on The LifeStyle Channel early September.

3 Months to go! 4 Ingredients 2 is at the editors and is due to hit the shelves by the end of August yaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!! This book is spectacular! We often say to people that 4 Ingredients 1 was a book we wrote because WE needed it, but 4 Ingredients 2 is definitely the book YOU wanted. Over the past year we have literally travelled all around our stunning country and from top to bottom in NZ too, and at each and every event we received thousands of recipes and even more suggestions each of them embedding in our minds and coming into action while compiling book 2. As a result 4 Ingredients 2 has now been born and will be slightly thicker in size and also has a few more recipes too! You will be able to buy it at any bookstore, Big W, Kmart, Myers, Target etc too HOWEVER please put your name down for it as we've just been told just this week that (increduously) there are already over 70,000 copies of it on pre order!!!! A pre order option will also be on our website late June if you want to secure by that method as well .

New Ingredient to the 4 Ingredient team. Our little operation of the Rachael & Kim team has grown to include our great friend Michelle Dodd who is now the 4 Ingredients Office Manager and is the first person to contact should you need any general information. In addition to being a simply BEAUTIFUL lady, she is a terrific Mum and a FABULOUS cook and has cooked most of our recipes from book 1 and a stack from book 2! Michelle looks after all general enquiries, orders, and mostly everything else too at times!!! You can contact her on [email protected] For all press, radio and media enquiries - these are to be directed to [email protected]

Would you like to be on TV or featured in your local newspaper? We are very fortunate that so many of you take the time and effort to email us your feedback stories and comments. We thoroughly enjoy each of them and THANK YOU for sending them to us. We also get a STACK of requests from the media asking if they can film, interview or photograph some of the people using our book. If you would like the opportunity to appear in our stories, or upcoming media please email the following information to Michelle at [email protected]

* Your first name
* Last name
* Email address
* Phone contact
* Town and state that you live in.
* Approx age ie 40-50
* Your gender

Michelle will compile it and we'll have it on hand next time we're asked the big question and look forward to seeing YOUR face smiling back at US for a change!

The asparagus and camembert recipe highlights the problems fuzzy concepts like this get into.

Your Today Tonight audience aren't the sort who can afford to have camembert, asparagus, and prosciutto lying around in the fridge for when friends casually drop by.

IMHO, 85% of recipe books are produced by people who have the time on their hands to do a lot of cooking, generally middle to upper class aspirationals who like to use produce not available at all or a reasonable price in a working class suburb.

Therefore, you end up with this publication that is trying to maximize sales via Today Tonight, but is of really no use to any sub $100k household, because the recipes have been dreamed up by well to do's.

Now something I looked at seriously several years ago, was writing an update for a very clever self published book put out around 1990 called "How to Feed a Family of Four on a $100 a Week" or similar. Probably have to call it How to feed a family of three on $200 a week now.

That was a clever title and it sold heaps. Though the recipes were old style and not as healthy as could be. Anzac biscuits, Jam Drops affair, Lemon Delicious pudding. not the healthiest but what most baby boomers would have grown up on.

Now something I looked at seriously several years ago, was writing an update for a very clever self published book put out around 1990 called "How to Feed a Family of Four on a $100 a Week" or similar. Probably have to call it How to feed a family of three on $200 a week now.

That was a clever title and it sold heaps. Though the recipes were old style and not as healthy as could be. Anzac biscuits, Jam Drops affair, Lemon Delicious pudding. not the healthiest but what most baby boomers would have grown up on.

I remember that book! Another book I recall but don't know when it came out was one about 'how to eat healthily when on the dole' or something like that.

I don't have the 4 Ingredients book(s) and only subscribed to their emails because they are free :eek: and I often only have a few ingredients in the house to make something of :eek: and thought they may be useful. Must agree with your comment re: the asparagus recipe though. I hate asparagus anyway, so blanked out when I saw the title, but can recommend their fruit cake recipe.

Cheers
Olly

Rachael Bermingham was briefly involved with "Wildly Wealthy Women", I think in 2005? She was doing MC duties at a couple of their seminars; I think she may have been their marketing manager or something at the time. She'e the one that talks a bit like Jeanne Little. :eek:

Tangy Lamb Balls
Serves 4. A recipe from Perditta O’Connor Stanthorpe - our little boys LOVE this recipe and a great trick is to shred some vegies into the mix too!

• 500g lamb mince
• 1 tsp. curry powder
• 3 tbs. sweet chilli sauce
• Juice of 1 lemon

Place all ingredients into a large bowl and combine. Roll into patties and fry in a non-stick frying pan until crunchy on the outside (this means it is cooked well on the inside).

Optional: Serve with jasmine rice and a mint yoghurt dipping sauce or simply roll into small balls and serve with sweet chilli sauce as a nibble on their own. DELICIOUS!
This one could be 10 ingredients if you add:
  • Jasmine Rice
  • Mint
  • Yoghurt
  • Sweet chilli sauce
  • A couple of veges
The thing I don't like about it is there are no pictures in the book... I like to see the finished product, to get an idea of how to make it.

She has just finished it and the magazine owner gave positive feedback. My wife said Kim & Rachael were really lovely ladies. She wrote about them from a different angle and they said it was good to be asked different questions rather than the same ones they get in other interviews. When it gets published, I will post it on this link:).

Mum bought me the book and I have had a quick skim through.

I hardly ever cook from scratch as my eyes gloss over if a recipe has too many ingredients so Mum thought I might be more inspired to cook meals without too many ingredients.

I cooked something nice the other day in the crockpot that I found on the internet. It involved Chicken Breast, Parmesian Cheese, Potatoes and French Dressing. That was it!!

Tasted real good too!!!

Yeah yeah I admit I cooked some green vegies to go with it, but that was damm easy.:)

Back