$400,000

1. Oxley - 11kms from Brisbane CBD - $360,000 - around 580sqm - 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom - currently tenanted at $300 per week - within walking distance to the train station and close to the main freeway - within walking distance to local shops.

QUOTE]

Hi MickInvestor,

We looked at Oxley a few months ago and probably would have bought in that area but there was nothing available at that time and ended up buying on the Gold Coast.

There are some good cheap properties in Darra (near the station) and in neighbouring suburbs of Durack and Inala.

Cheers,

Bazza

1. Oxley - 11kms from Brisbane CBD - $360,000 - around 580sqm - 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom - currently tenanted at $300 per week - within walking distance to the train station and close to the main freeway - within walking distance to local shops.

QUOTE]

Hi MickInvestor,

We looked at Oxley a few months ago and probably would have bought in that area but there was nothing available at that time and ended up buying on the Gold Coast.

There are some good cheap properties in Darra (near the station) and in neighbouring suburbs of Durack and Inala.

Cheers,

Bazza

Thanks Bazza. Where did you buy on the Gold Coast?

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mick,
I am in the same boat as you. Except I can go to 350k max. This is my self imposed still sleep at night limit. I have spent all day today in Deception Bay and Yesterday where I live in the Redlands doing my homework. This would be my 2nd I.P. Without having time to checkout all of Brisbane I think I am going to stay in my own neck of the woods and buy in the Redlands. Reasons for this are

1: Lived in the Redlands for 10yrs and there is limited land available but it is a desirable place to live.

2: Water is not as tight a situation as Brisbane in general. The redlands is still on level 2 Restrictions and is supplied by Stradbroke Island which whatever rain there is to get it gets. I believe water could become a real issue for Brisbane. Sooner rather than later. Recently it was announced that Stradbroke Island water supply would not become part of the Qld water grid.

3: Dont have to go far to check on my I.P if I want to.

Good luck with your choice.:D

Hi Mick,
I am in the same boat as you. Except I can go to 350k max. This is my self imposed still sleep at night limit. I have spent all day today in Deception Bay and Yesterday where I live in the Redlands doing my homework. This would be my 2nd I.P. Without having time to checkout all of Brisbane I think I am going to stay in my own neck of the woods and buy in the Redlands. Reasons for this are

1: Lived in the Redlands for 10yrs and there is limited land available but it is a desirable place to live.

2: Water is not as tight a situation as Brisbane in general. The redlands is still on level 2 Restrictions and is supplied by Stradbroke Island which whatever rain there is to get it gets. I believe water could become a real issue for Brisbane. Sooner rather than later. Recently it was announced that Stradbroke Island water supply would not become part of the Qld water grid.

3: Dont have to go far to check on my I.P if I want to.

Good luck with your choice.:D

Makes good sense to me Noeyedear - thanks

Hi Mick, we have 5 IP's; 2 in Loganholme, 2 in Meadowbrook Lakes and 1 in Eden's Landing, so favour this Logan City area. The Beenleigh and Eaglby areas are offering quite good properties if you look into it (for under $400k).

Hi Mick, we have 5 IP's; 2 in Loganholme, 2 in Meadowbrook Lakes and 1 in Eden's Landing, so favour this Logan City area. The Beenleigh and Eaglby areas are offering quite good properties if you look into it (for under $400k).

Hi MH,

I often wonder what class of tenant you get in those areas though? Seems like a good place to find 'the tenant from hell'?

Cheers,

Bazza

Tenant for my house at Edens Landing: currently a single woman taking care of her grandchildren (the daugher is in Brisbane, I think). Gets Centrelink payments, etc and I get the rent directly paid from Centrelink. Never misses a payment (of course), and as far as I can tell they are taking very good care of the place.

Previous tenant was a young couple (guy was in the building trade) who moved because they were having a kid and bought somewhere. Obviously took pride in the place (in terms of the decorations they had, etc) and they had much better furniture and a bigger TV than I did!
Alex

Hi Mick you could try hemmant for 400k - lots happening there in the future. Can be a mixed bag with industrial mix in the suburb. cannot buy in brissie for 200k. not even ipswich. i'd go as close as you can to 400k and get a better location & house. Yes oxley is good for the money.

every now and then a property less than 10km from city centre comes on the market for under 400k. They'll need a lick of paint here and there and a bit of cleaning up though. You could just hold up and wait for one of them however I wouldn't wait too long in this market :D

Interesting topic, as we were in a similar situation. We've just bought a house in Caloundra - 3-bed, 630sqm, about 400m from centre of Caloundra (Bulcock St) and about 700m from the beach for $350k. Its nothing special to look at and will be a knock-down job later but it comes with a tenant who's been there for a few years and is paying about $280pw - not a massive amount, but it'll do to start with.

We aimed for the worst house in the best street with the biggest bit of land we could afford - and as close to the beach as we could get.

Still wish I'd got the 1350sqm block at the top of the hill in Coolum Beach though, esp as it was $200k at the time, only 18 months ago.

Good luck with whatever you get.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up buying in Banyo for $370,000 on a 607 sqm block within walking distance to the train and local shops. 3 bedrooms and I am replacing the kitchen. I think its a great buy :)

Back