4133 Vacancy rate

.... I was shocked to find the vacancy rate was through the roof!
Does anyone have any insight as to why 4133 has a vacancy rate of 6%?

Firstly, 6% vacancy rate is not "thru the roof". 6% is only 3 weeks vacant out of 50 weeks (almost a whole year!) If you can't handle 3 weeks of vacancy in a year, then perhaps you should not be investing in RE :)

Vacancy rates tend to jump up and down fair bit. I would look for a long term trend and compare with other similarly priced areas.
Also, I would take a slow drive through the area. Check potential demand: would this be an attractive area for your target renters? Why / why not? Then check supply: are there many new houses being built?
Hope this helps.

Firstly, 6% vacancy rate is not "thru the roof". 6% is only 3 weeks vacant out of 50 weeks (almost a whole year!) If you can't handle 3 weeks of vacancy in a year, then perhaps you should not be investing in RE :)

Actually through the roof will not be too far off the mark when you are comparing it to Brisbane's average in Jan 2015 (3.5%) and the nearby suburbs 4132 (3.5%) and 4131(1.5%). So I was just wondering if there is some stigma or other anomaly that I do not know about the area.

Thank you for your "sage" advice though:p

Vacancy rates tend to jump up and down fair bit. I would look for a long term trend and compare with other similarly priced areas.
Also, I would take a slow drive through the area. Check potential demand: would this be an attractive area for your target renters? Why / why not? Then check supply: are there many new houses being built?
Hope this helps.

Thanks Logica, good point about new houses in the area. I think that could be a big factor.

i'll be sure to check out the area on my next flight to Brissy :)

JameZ,

Am I missing something SQM link States Vacancy at 2.4% only.

I have a property in Waterford and as you can see from graph vacancy rates have been consistently under 2% with a spike in 2008 due to new estates coming on line

Coota

JameZ,

Am I missing something SQM link States Vacancy at 2.4% only.

I have a property in Waterford and as you can see from graph vacancy rates have been consistently under 2% with a spike in 2008 due to new estates coming on line

Coota

Coota, good pick up. I think I have the number of vacancies and the vacancy rate mixed up... Doh!

Back