$500 tangible gift of 'Lasting Value' dilemma

Hello All :)

I am terrible at deciding on what to buy myself at the best of times, now I've got a $500 limit on buying a Five Year Anniversary gift from my employers. WooHoo! :D

The rules on spending that $500 is that it has to be something tangible that has lasting value (that comes with an invoice) AND something the CFO has to approve. :rolleyes:

Example suggestions made were:
  • Jewellry (lasting value?? antiques would I guess)
  • Framed picture or painting
  • Camera or Lenses

I'd rather spend the money on something that appreciates in value over time. Although, I wouldn't know the first place to look for Art, coins, stamps, or diamonds LOL ;) :D

Granted $500 isn't much, but does anyone have any suggestions? What would you spend it on?

Thanks

Hi Loz,

If the company is public listed $500 worth of shares, if not then $500 worth of a stock of your choice.

Minimum stock purchase is $500 so should be OK.

If you don't have a broker, you could join someone like Comsec Online, it is free to join but would cost $19.95 to actually do the trade online.

Nice problem to have :D

Hi Macca,

I thought of that, that's what I'd really prefer. :(

It has to be tangible though. LOL I don't think even a share certificate would work. Unfortuately my CFO is really finicky! :mad:

I have a fascination with glass, I love Murano Glass, it can be expensive, but it holds value. Although, I might consider the Bullion idea - get a coin from last year with 2006, so it will appeal to the CFO since it was the year of my anniversary.

I'm really to the point where I just want to 'tick that job off the list'. It would be far more beneficial on my mortgage! A few bricks... what's wrong with that? :D

For $500, I would be happy to provide you with a nice receipt, for a number not too far below $500 ;)

(of course, I'd pay ATO their due amount)

I have read that studies have shown employeea value gifts and experiences above cash.

Your idea to combine both is very good.

A trip or experience they would never take themsleves is lasting if genuine.

$500 goes to the mortgage, school fees, plasma and is lost.

Why not surf sites related to staff morale and reward to learn up?

Peter 14.7

LOL Geoff, you sound like my Dad - he wanted to scribble something on paper and frame it and sell it to me ;)

Peter (Spiderman) I like the way you think! :cool:

Peter 14.7, I tried for a Brisbane trip and accommodation, but that was turned down. I wanted it so I could do a Reno Kings course courtesy of work ;) Work also contributes $200 pa to a non work related course! Good company hey? Which leads me to Macca...

I will be armed and dangerous soon enough :D I can't wait!!! Alas, my award money cannot pay for them :(

I have got the go ahead for a 1/2 Oz Gold Bullion Coin with 2006... It will at least be a fairly liquid asset/investment if I ever need to cash it in and reinvest it!

Thank you all for your thoughts & contributions!

I like your Murano glass idea.
Thing is, its hard to buy something like that for yourself because its slightly indulgent and usually there are lots of other things to spend hard earned cash on. If your employer is paying, what a treat!!! and definately appreciates over time.

I vote for the Gold. It ihas won me over.

Redeemable in am emergency and keeps place with inflation.

My father in law panned for gold as a hobby.

So he had lots of bars from melting his down. He loved to show then to special friends. Recently sold most.

Peter 14.4

I love the gold bullion idea, too. Good one Y-man!

I'll file it away as the perfect idea for the next significant present I give.

Cheers, Medine

Back