$500K in Melbourne - where would you buy? (Needs to be west)

Thanks Beanie_Girl have PM'd you.

RightValue - thanks for those suburb suggestions. All under consideration at this point. Although not too sure about Altona North and Altona Meadows - have heard it's either Altona or don't bother.

Schooling is definitely an issue in the west and the only two great private options in my opinion are Penleigh or Westbourne. I'm actually not fussed about sending the little ones to public primary school and see how we go for further education. Problem is public school primary options over this side are limited. http://www.bettereducation.com.au/school/Primary/vic/vic_top_primary_schools.aspx

Schools in the North-west

There's Corpus Christi Catholic Primary school in Glenroy. That's pretty okay.
I know 3 kids personally, who went there that made it to Melbourne Uni recently.

One of the kids made it to Bachelor of B.Biomed. He even got an interview for medicine in Monash University. I know, because I coached him for the interview questions in the new format.

One kid (girl), Leah, is in Science faculty.

The 3rd kid (Sam) went to Arts faculty.

There is another kid that I know from Corpo that made it to Melbourne High School and is in year 9 now. And a girl I know who went to La Trobe Uni.

(Just trying to recall the kids I know. And no, none of the kids are mine! Ha! ha!)

Penola Catholic College is not bad, 3 of the kids mentioned above are from there. Penola has the yr 7-9 campus in Glenroy, and the yr 10-12 campus in Broadmeadows.

There's a good public high school for girls called Pascoe Vale Girls College in Pascoe Vale. It offers schooling for approximately 1400 students from years 7 to 12

I think Coburg will have a public high school in the very near future.

Spotswood primary looks amazing on better education and myschool.

You see this is where there is the difference between us.

34% in the top 25% is so/so, to acceptable to me, also with just 121 students is in my mind too small to have decent facilities and a solid budget. That is only one class per grade on average.

Whereas 66% in the top 25% at Williamstown is more like good/amazing to me and with 562 students it is a decent size.

In the middle of the two, in terms of results and geography is Newport Lakes. which has 53% in the top 25% and 342 students.

As for the spin/tours/overviews by the school on these and their own websites, well I have never known a school or other enterprise to say that they are a fair to average place. Like I say, I think that the results are fact and the spin is just that.

One thing I do when I inspect a property where there are school age kids is ask the parent what school their kids go to and they think of it. It is quite enlightening at times.

Over the last 12 months I have viewed plenty of suitable PPOR property in the West.
I do not have school aged children so can not comment on schooling hot spots in the West, but my pick for dollar value and a reasonably pleasant living environment would be the Northern end of Point Cook. I stand to be corrected on this one but believe it has potential longer term value.

You see this is where there is the difference between us.

34% in the top 25% is so/so, to acceptable to me, also with just 121 students is in my mind too small to have decent facilities and a solid budget. That is only one class per grade on average.

Whereas 66% in the top 25% at Williamstown is more like good/amazing to me and with 562 students it is a decent size.

In the middle of the two, in terms of results and geography is Newport Lakes. which has 53% in the top 25% and 342 students.

As for the spin/tours/overviews by the school on these and their own websites, well I have never known a school or other enterprise to say that they are a fair to average place. Like I say, I think that the results are fact and the spin is just that.

One thing I do when I inspect a property where there are school age kids is ask the parent what school their kids go to and they think of it. It is quite enlightening at times.

I suspect that that's not the only difference between you and I...

As I said in my last reply to you, do you realize that the figures you are quoting are just data on the wealth of the parents, not the academic results?

When the myschool website compares how these schools do against other 'similar' schools, eg; schools where the kids come from a similar socio-economic background (wealth), Williamstown primary comes in joint 40th place out of 59 schools. That means most schools with similarily wealthy parents do better academically than kids at willie primary.

On the other hand, when compared to 'similar' schools (so parents with a comparable income) Spotswood primary comes out FAR FAR ahead of all of the other 48 schools it is compared to. Its exceptional and rare to see the data so clear.

In fact, although not as wealthy, kids at spotswood do better academically than kids at willie primary according to the bettereducation ranking.

Myschools measures schools against similar socio-economic schools because its the best way to see if the schools are improving the kids they get or just getting nice kids from middle class backgrounds and spiting them out the other end without improving on what they are given.

If you want your kids to benefit just from being around middle class kids, send them to a home stay with a middle class family so that some of those middle class values and grammar will rub off. The kids at willie primary are doing well because they come from nice middle class families (ie; they would do OK anywhere). Willie primary doesn't look to be doing anything exceptional other than not interfering with their existing advantage.

As for tours, there is a lot more to an education than academic results.

Back