6 New Suburbs for Melbourne Fringe..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-...d-for-melbourne27s-fringe/4067404?section=vic

Excerpt only

The State Government says the development of six new suburbs in Melbourne's fringe will be planned with adequate infrastructure.

The new suburbs will be developed at Diggers Rest, Lockerbie, Lockerbie North, Manor Lakes, Merrifield West and Rockbank North - all in Melbourne's outer north and west.

Over the next 30 years, 37,000 plots of land will be released and are expected to become home to more than 100,000 people.

Opposition planning spokesman Brian Tee says it could create a suburban nightmare without proper planning for transport, schools and other infrastructure.

"This is a recipe for chaos on our roads," he said.

But Planning Minister Matthew Guy says the new suburbs will be well planned.

"We are planning growth in transport and infrastructure," he said.

"There is also an announcement today in relation to moving that boundary into areas, some of it which is farmland, some of which is green wedge land.

"But it should be noted these are within growth areas."

He says developing the urban fringe provides more options for people who are priced out of the city.

Environmental groups say the State Government should have consulted the community before expanding into farming and green wedge land.

The name Lockerbie conjures up certain images for me.... :(

The Y-man

And me. Whether it's near a flight path or not.

You can be certain that the developers will want to change its name and hope we forget.

Eg Caroline Springs is really Ravenhall, Altona Meadows and Point Cook are really Laverton, Waterways is really Braeside (swamp) etc.

Its still better than:
"Blackburn"
"Mulgrave"
"Box Hill"

Or maybe they are ok because they are middle eastern suburbs and expensive :)

its because because suburbs like blackburn and box hill dont try and be something they are not, you dont see people or advertisments crap on about how good life is in there while the newere suburbs pretend or tryhard to be something they are not

Indeed they are Melbournian. After living in the UK for 8 yrs I came home to Aust to find we did steal all our place names from there. I guess being predominantly settled by the good folk from Blighty they had first pick of names...:) Perhaps we'll see our newest arrivals get a go? Should throw up a few interesting ones....

its because because suburbs like blackburn and box hill dont try and be something they are not, you dont see people or advertisments crap on about how good life is in there while the newere suburbs pretend or tryhard to be something they are not

Surely you can recognise the fact that an established suburb (100+ years), doesn't need to promote themselves, like newly created suburbs/locales. That's no difference to marketing any new product/service.

And what about local councils trying to change the perception of their area eg Frankston City Council comes to mind. ;)

i think names like blackburn and box hill came from the UK and not made up like parkbrook etc.

Yes, and as someone from London I would struggle with idea of living in Blackburn or Doncaster (gritty UK northern working-class cities). A Sandringham address, though, would really impress all the folk back in the UK.

And me. Whether it's near a flight path or not.

You can be certain that the developers will want to change its name and hope we forget.

Eg Caroline Springs is really Ravenhall, Altona Meadows and Point Cook are really Laverton, Waterways is really Braeside (swamp) etc.

Some people can be very naive. Point Cook was named in the early 1800’s and is home to the worlds oldest continual service air force base, RAAF Williams, Point Cook. Altona was named in the mid 1800’s and Altona Meadows was developed as Altona grew.

The suburb of Laverton came about in the late 1800’s and later became the home of RAAF Williams, Laverton. In mid to late 2000 the State Government decided to sell off part of the RAAF base to a developer. The suburb the base is on is known as RAAF Williams but was technically part of Laverton.

This land was later released as ‘Williams Landing’ tying into the suburbs heritage, celebrating the aviation link to the area and acknowledge Air Marshal Sir Richard Williams, the man many regard as the ‘father’ of the Royal Australian Air Force. I could not think of a better name for the area.

Some people can be very naive. Point Cook was named in the early 1800’s and is home to the worlds oldest continual service air force base, RAAF Williams, Point Cook. Altona was named in the mid 1800’s and Altona Meadows was developed as Altona grew.

The suburb of Laverton came about in the late 1800’s and later became the home of RAAF Williams, Laverton. In mid to late 2000 the State Government decided to sell off part of the RAAF base to a developer. The suburb the base is on is known as RAAF Williams but was technically part of Laverton.

This land was later released as ‘Williams Landing’ tying into the suburbs heritage, celebrating the aviation link to the area and acknowledge Air Marshal Sir Richard Williams, the man many regard as the ‘father’ of the Royal Australian Air Force. I could not think of a better name for the area.

Ah, a local history buff. Bless your soul.

Back