$600 to supply and install one external door!

Just got a bill for replacing an external door, nothing special at all, are you kidding me, property manager has gone home for the weekend so I can't blast her until monday :mad:

No havnt been giving the itemized bill yet, but it was only a cheap door leading to the rumpus room. Would be lucky to have cost $100

Just got a bill for replacing an external door, nothing special at all, are you kidding me, property manager has gone home for the weekend so I can't blast her until monday :mad:

They may not have overcgharged.
The costs may include main external door(not hollow) + door jambs (if replaced) + fixing back dead locks + labour (depending on how bad the condition was)

As far as I know it was for door only. The property is in Gladstone, it seems they charge an extra 30%+ to do anything up there.
Has anyone managed to find a decent PM in gladdy yet? I know there have been a couple of threads on it but from what I've read no one has found a decent one.

Before you blast your PM ask for an itemised invoice - the solid external doors are more expensive and they would have to install locks that were the same as the ones on the previous door (handle lock, deadlock etc.). As others have also pointed out there may have been issues with the frame as well. Get the itemised invoice before you say anything too nasty to your PM :).

Hi Robbo,

Have you asked your PM to tell you beforethey go ahead and spend the money? I prefer to shop around on-line, talk to tradies and make every decision myself because I'm such a t****-***e. Then I don't mind forking out the money quite so much.
Guess you're gonna need a decent door near a rumpus room anyway.

I also just spent $600 for a cupboard and rangehood etc etc. I personally think rangehoods are stupid which is why there wasn't one there in the first place. Oh well.

Deep breaths in and out :):rolleyes:

I assume you have not established a "please contact me for consent before arranging any repairs/maintenance that will cost more than $x" with your property manager.

Now's a good time to.

And others have said, get an itemised invoice first. Don't fire off an angry email.

I assume you have not established a "please contact me for consent before arranging any repairs/maintenance that will cost more than $x" with your property manager.

Now's a good time to.

And others have said, get an itemised invoice first. Don't fire off an angry email.

I do have this in place and she did contact me about getting this done and I told her yes, I said just replace with a cheap one with door handle lock as that was what was there originally. I was silly not to ask to get quotes first but I've pretty much given up on that. I've always asked in the past and it usually takes weeks if not months for her to get back to Me with one quote when I asked her to get multiple quotes. Then when I ask to get another she grunts like it was a massive effort to get the first.
But yes I will take advice and hold off on the angry phone call.... For now

it usually takes weeks if not months for her to get back to Me with one quote when I asked her to get multiple quotes. Then when I ask to get another she grunts like it was a massive effort to get the first.
But yes I will take advice and hold off on the angry phone call.... For now

then behead her. But stay cool.

Reactions: Sez
Last door I fitted took hours.

Used the old door for a template for hinge and lock locations and size (had to be trimmed about 20mm in height and 10 in width). Easy-peasy I thought.

When I fitted it, found that the frame was warped, so then spent quite a bit of time to make that fit.

Then found that the striker wasn't quite lining up by a few millimetres for some unknown reason, so had to take off the plate in the jamb and chisel out the hole, then file the plate.

So, $600 (including the cost of an exterior rated door) seems like it could be a reasonable price. (My door cost $230 unpainted.)

It does seem expensive at first, but as Dave Tee form the last post experienced, these things take time.
You might pay $300 if it was one of many doors to be installed on a new build.
But as a one off job, all the associated costs have to be absorbed by this single task and it makes it look more expensive that way.

My Gladstone PMs have improved their performance this year since we started phoning their tradies directly and asking for more info. The head manager has also discovered that she needs to give us information rather than taking the tradies's fee directly out of the rent without one iota of communication to us about an issue.

$600?

There is the compelling argument for Reg457 workers.

457 or not, you would still get charged the same. I charge all my blokes whether 457 or not according to their skill set. All if means is the company doing the work gets a healthier profit at your expense.

pinkboy

Back