60cm appliances vs 90cm appliances

As with everything in life, size matters.

Our next cooktop will be 1200mm, I can live with the 900 mm oven. Let the tenants eat takeaway (dual hob cooktop & convection microwave).

I have a Bosch 600mm double oven, very useful for grilling in top oven and cooking other items in the larger lower oven. Wouldn't be without a double oven.

A single 900mm oven just doesn't cut it as you cant vary the temperature for different foods which you may be cooking.

Sorry this is off topic and sorry to derail (good tips on cooktop and oven size by the way) but speaking of ovens and cooktops i've heard that you should be really careful if you have an induction cooktop on top of an oven as the heat from the oven can damage the induction cooktop and so they shouldn't be used at the same time unless you can keep the space between them open or with heaps of ventilation.
I bought and had installed an oven and cooktop by my dad in January and that's what he said to me. (He is an Electrical Engineer). Anybody else heard of this?

image.jpg

Well.. the 750mm smeg cooktop in the 600mm oven cabinet sounded like a good idea at the time.. Not an overly huge deal but keep in mind the extra work involved fitting a 750mm or 900mm cooktop as you will more than likely have to do what I've just done and cut out the vertical sections of your cabinet carcas to allow the cooktop to drop in. Also my gas connection happens to sit exactly inline with the 32mm join in the cabinets therefor more hacking is required :mad:

Something to keep in mind anyway! I can't handle using a 600mm cooktop so they end result will be worth it im sure :D

View attachment 14424

Well.. the 750mm smeg cooktop in the 600mm oven cabinet sounded like a good idea at the time.. Not an overly huge deal but keep in mind the extra work involved fitting a 750mm or 900mm cooktop as you will more than likely have to do what I've just done and cut out the vertical sections of your cabinet carcas to allow the cooktop to drop in. Also my gas connection happens to sit exactly inline with the 32mm join in the cabinets therefor more hacking is required :mad:

Something to keep in mind anyway! I can't handle using a 600mm cooktop so they end result will be worth it im sure :D

Thanks but that's why I'm paying good money to a cabinet maker for thankfully :)

View attachment 14424

I put in an omega 700 5 burner and it dropped straight in!

Hi guys,

Need your opinion on something.

Would you not buy a townhouse because the Cooktop and Stove were 60cm instead of 90cm........do people look at the size or more the brand?

Building 2 townhouses and for my one I'm definately going a mid-range brand in the 90cm range because my wife cooks a lot and we host a fair bit as well but for the other townhouse I'm selling I'm in 2 minds whether I put in 60cm Cooktop and Stove but a better brand like Bosch etc or whether I do the same as my townhouse and put in 90cm appliances but go a medium range brand like Westinghouse or Blanco etc?

So for the townhouse I'm selling, do you think 60cm would be ok? Most townhouses I've seen are normally 60cm anyway but I'm paranoid about this as I wouldn't want to get buyers turned away from this because of the smaller size Cooktop and Stove. Caveat, the buyer is likely to be Asian (probably Chinese) in the area I'm building, not sure if this makes a difference or not.

Thanks all.

A 90cm cooktop with a 60cm oven below would look really weird. Buyers usually look for branding. You can get a basic Miele for not a lot more than a top of range Bosch etc.

The other thing to consider is that when you go up from a 60cm to 90cm oven, there is a huge jump in price. Take Miele for example. Entry level 60cm oven is 1.3K whereas 90cm starts at 7K, RRP.

To get around the aesthetics of having a different size cooktop vs oven, just install a 60cm wall oven instead. Build pot drawers below the cooktop. You could use the money you save on getting a smaller 60cm oven (rather than 90cm) on a wall mounted microwave, a dishwasher, upgrading the kitchen bench top/joinery (e.g. stone benchtop), or a better brand appliance package.

No intention of profiling but I would think most buyers (incl Asians) would look at the brand of appliance installed. Also definitely a gas cooktop for Asian cooking. And make sure the range hood is ducted to outside. Double sinks are always a bonus. Depends on the overall quality and price point of the townhouse you are building to sell. I'd certainly look for these features if I was buying.

Good luck!

A 90cm cooktop with a 60cm oven below would look really weird. Buyers usually look for branding. You can get a basic Miele for not a lot more than a top of range Bosch etc.

The other thing to consider is that when you go up from a 60cm to 90cm oven, there is a huge jump in price. Take Miele for example. Entry level 60cm oven is 1.3K whereas 90cm starts at 7K, RRP.

To get around the aesthetics of having a different size cooktop vs oven, just install a 60cm wall oven instead. Build pot drawers below the cooktop. You could use the money you save on getting a smaller 60cm oven (rather than 90cm) on a wall mounted microwave, a dishwasher, upgrading the kitchen bench top/joinery (e.g. stone benchtop), or a better brand appliance package.

No intention of profiling but I would think most buyers (incl Asians) would look at the brand of appliance installed. Also definitely a gas cooktop for Asian cooking. And make sure the range hood is ducted to outside. Double sinks are always a bonus. Depends on the overall quality and price point of the townhouse you are building to sell. I'd certainly look for these features if I was buying.

Good luck!

Thanks for your input CW, I'll def stick to a good brand like Bosch.

+1 on the 900 cooktop, 600 oven.

900 cooktop = impressive looks and greater useability for a small increase in price;
900 oven = lower performance (unless you need to fit that whole Christmas ham in your oven) and a significant increase in price.

+1 on the 900 cooktop, 600 oven.

900 cooktop = impressive looks and greater useability for a small increase in price;
900 oven = lower performance (unless you need to fit that whole Christmas ham in your oven) and a significant increase in price.

Tell me about re cost, its at least double!!! But the missus cooks a lot and uses the oven frequently even to cook more than one item so she wants the 900 like we have now.....happy wife, happy life (supposedly) lol

Looks great Perp, nothing wrong with that. That's exactly what I'll be doing with Bosch appliances (except the rangehood as it's too expensive).
Do look at other brands, then. I don't think you have to stick with one range. My rangehood and cooktop are F&P, and my oven is Miele. :)

I chose all my items based on performance reviews (Choice and others), and the company that does the best cooktop may not do the best oven and may not do the best rangehood, etc. And even in cooktops, the best gas cooktop may be a different brand than best electric or induction cooktop.

If they're all stainless steel, or all white, they can still go very well together.

If anything, when I see an appliance package (all appliances branded the same), it just makes me think the person who selected them didn't put any thought into it / didn't research the best products.

I had this exact dilemma not so long ago.

Definitely go for the 900mm cooktop - no question there. If you have a family or do a lot of cooking, the extra space is priceless.

900mm ovens aren't anything special. They take longer to heat up, use more power and generally have more uneven heat than a 600mm. If you are worried about space, go for 2 600mm ovens. Gives you more space than a 900 and lets you have both at different temperatures for cooking multiple things at the same time. That's the setup I've got (900 cooktop and 2x600 ovens side by side) and I've never looked back.

Also gives a bit of a 'wow' factor when people look at the kitchen - can't hurt when it comes time to sell.

Do look at other brands, then. I don't think you have to stick with one range. My rangehood and cooktop are F&P, and my oven is Miele. :)

I chose all my items based on performance reviews (Choice and others), and the company that does the best cooktop may not do the best oven and may not do the best rangehood, etc. And even in cooktops, the best gas cooktop may be a different brand than best electric or induction cooktop.

If they're all stainless steel, or all white, they can still go very well together.

If anything, when I see an appliance package (all appliances branded the same), it just makes me think the person who selected them didn't put any thought into it / didn't research the best products.

Thanks Perp - we're def open minded. We did go to Good Guys to take a look today and we now have a very good idea of what we want etc. It's now just a matter of seeing who'll give us the best deal etc :)

Back