$700K - PPOR in Cherrybrook

Hello All,

Recently sold my PPOR and looking to purchase a House or Torrens Title (Duplex, Townhouse or Villa) in Cherrybrook with a max budget of 700K + stamp duty.

Can anyone please advise me on which streets to avoid (esp. 1KM radius of the upcoming train line)?

Ive searched northwestrail.com.au but cant find the streets affected due to the upcoming rail line.

Also how long does it take to reach the city from Cherrybrook? How about local primary school and daycare centers?

Thanks.

PS: I'm not from the area and currently live in Sydney southwest. So any information on Cherrybrook is really appreciated.

Hi sk280 ...my name will possibly suggest that I live in Cherrybrook.

It is certainly a lovely, family friendly area. Cherrybrook Tech (the high school) gets excellent results consistently and is very sought after. Any of the streets off Purchase Road, Shepherds Drive and James Henty Drive will provide acceptance to the school. Just heard from someone yesterday that a person moved his daughter from Tara Anglican School to Cherrybrook Tech so go figure.

Cherrybrook Primary and John Purchase are the primary feeder schools to Cherrybrook Tech as is Oakhill Primary. There's a Kindalin Day Care at the Cherrybrook Shopping Village. Suggest you spend some time at the shops to get a feel of the area.

The new train line will be on Franklin Road so I would steer clear of that part of Cherrybrook, it is however, the newer part with younger homes. On the bus, it would take an hour to the city. There are also direct buses to Macquarie Uni, Parramatta and Pennant Hills Station.

One bugbear, is that morning traffic out of Cherrybrook can be quite a nightmare especially along Boundary Road. I just stick a CD in the car and wait my time without the angst.

Other highlights - few parks in the area, Carlisle Swimming Pool, busy shops including Woolies, petrol station, drive to Castle Towers is less than 10 minutes ...so really is a fantastic place to live.

Hello All,

Recently sold my PPOR and looking to purchase a House or Torrens Title (Duplex, Townhouse or Villa) in Cherrybrook with a max budget of 700K + stamp duty.

Can anyone please advise me on which streets to avoid (esp. 1KM radius of the upcoming train line)?

Ive searched northwestrail.com.au but cant find the streets affected due to the upcoming rail line.

Also how long does it take to reach the city from Cherrybrook? How about local primary school and daycare centers?

Thanks.

PS: I'm not from the area and currently live in Sydney southwest. So any information on Cherrybrook is really appreciated.

Some great advice from Cherry Pro but here's my two cents worth- have bought for many clients in the Hills area and know CB pretty damn well :D

Unless you know the area you're going to get all hot and bothered with excitement when you see the "cheapies" on the net for sale- low $500K's+ for a townhouse/duplex in the area all the way up to mid $1m range means there's a lot of choice but at the same time diversity in prices. This is due to the following reasons:

Main roads- Most locals prefer to stay away from anything backing the very busy New Line, Castle Hill or Boundary Rds. David Rd and County Dr, along with Macquarie Dr and Purchase/Shepherds also can carry a lot of traffic, though I'd rather buy on the latter rather than the former, given the train line positioning.

Catchment areas- Generally those streets in the catchment zone, particularly for CTHS are more popular eg: South Dural above has some streets only, yet it's housing could be considered superior to some.

High Tension Power Lines- Do yourself a favour and invest in a street directory rather than relying on Google Maps. Those big angry red lines with crosses don't show up on GM and it's these that make up the largest price differences in this suburb. In my experience, most buyers prefer to be 50-100m away from these if they can. They can also be a visual deterrent to others depending on where you stand on your property.

Rail Line- the cynics here will say it's not yet built but progress has begun. The maps on the official site aren't clear enough to decipher in sufficient detail where the line is going to run (and there may be more changes) but to stay in touch with what's happening I'd suggest registering for updates on the site http://northwestrail.com.au/ Also check out your street directory as the most recent ones provide some idea of a general route.

Cherry is right about morning and afternoon traffic- if going to the city most locals I know either drive via Boundary Rd/Beecroft and join the M2 here or park at Pennant Hills or Beecroft Station and train it in. However, there's also very popular bus routes that basically traverse throughout CB so there's a no. of options. Allow 50-60mins via public transport and obviously longer if driving.

Best of luck with your search!

Thank you CherryPro & Jacque!!!

Apologies for the delayed reply but Thank You Cherry Pro & Jacque!! Very Very informative and of great help.

I'll be investing in the street directry ASAP.

My PPOR sale went unconditional yesterday so the search is on. I will update this post in the days to come with the results of my search.

Update: Confused after looking at properties in Cherrybrook

So We spent 2 hours in Cherrybrook shopping village and another 2 hours looking at homes in Cherrybrook.

We liked the shopping center. However the homes we viewed in Cherrybrook were a lot more expensive than we originally anticipated. Now We are reviewing our budget - MAX Spend of $700 and the areas to live in. We have revised our budget to under 600K.

I'm looking for some guidance on suburbs here:

1. Our revised budget is to buy a house under 600K, so that takes CB out of our search. Hopefully we'll be in a position to buy here in CB for our 3rd house in 5 years time (if prices have'nt skyrocketed by then).

2. Our criterion is safe place, quiet street, transport to city ~1 hour. Dont mind small blocks or land, townhomes or villas But would prefer homes if possible.

3. Our most important criterion is CG for the suburb. I think most suburbs are already inflated (is there any suburb that has room for CG?).

4. Schools are not important at this stage as our daugther is only 4 months old.

5. We'd preferably like to buy in North West and surroundings.

Please advice. Cheers..SK

PS : Did'nt want to start a new thread just for this reason but happy to do so if this is off topic.

Last edited:
So We spent 2 hours in Cherrybrook shopping village and another 2 hours looking at homes in Cherrybrook.

We liked the shopping center. However the homes we viewed in Cherrybrook were a lot more expensive than we originally anticipated. Now We are reviewing our budget - MAX Spend of $700 and the areas to live in. We have revised our budget to under 600K.

I'm looking for some guidance on suburbs here:

1. Our revised budget is to buy a house under 600K, so that takes CB out of our search. Hopefully we'll be in a position to buy here in CB for our 3rd house in 5 years time (if prices have'nt skyrocketed by then).

2. Our criterion is safe place, quiet street, transport to city ~1 hour. Dont mind small blocks or land, townhomes or villas But would prefer homes if possible.

3. Our most important criterion is CG for the suburb. I think most suburbs are already inflated (is there any suburb that has room for CG?).

4. Schools are not important at this stage as our daugther is only 4 months old.

5. We'd preferably like to buy in North West and surroundings.

Please advice. Cheers..SK

PS : Did'nt want to start a new thread just for this reason but happy to do so if this is off topic.

Hi SK

A drop in budget by $100K is significant- why so much?

Also, given that your sale presumably settles in 6 weeks or so, you aren't really leaving yourself much time- or do you have plans to rent short term until you find a place following settlement?

OK for max $600K budget I'd consider the following suburbs for HOUSES. You can still pick up something duplex or townhome in CB or Castle Hill but you'll need to be quick for a quiet st and something well-maintained, as they don't last long.

Baulkham Hills, Winston Hills- your best bets for value for money and proximity to transport

Northmead- also achievable but transport links to CBD a little trickier depending on where you buy.

Kellyville, Glenwood- still on Baulkham Hills side but choose carefully and consider transport bus routes carefully here.

For my $$$ I'd buy something older on a decent-sized block (600sqm+) with capacity to improve in a quiet st near the major bus routes, but it's your money. As for future CG, no-one can guarantee this as you would know but it's not like you're spending in the top end of any of these popular family suburbs. Best of luck with your search- you'd best get a move on if you're planning simultaneous settlements!

Hello All,

Hi,

New member here, tho very active on propertyinvesting.com (coincidently my first post)

Just thought i'd pass on, a family friend is offloading her portfolio which includes two properties in Cherrybrook, one on Kentia Pde and the other on Wyllie Place - selling each seperately.

You mentioned $600k being your limit. These would be worth in the high $600's, early $700's to be honest, tho you may be able to save yourself a good $30-$40k by buying it directly now without agents as they will not hit the market for another month.

Feel free to contact me via private message if you would like to know more.

I stand corrected, they are looking for low-mid $700's.

Can't say I realised houses in cherrybrook had reached those levels. I believed they had dropped.

This is a villa not a house and it's being marketed by an agent who is known for underquoting. Expect early $700K's as minimum here.

Normally I would agree however I know these owners and they need to sell it.

Its in a great location alongside the park/oval on the bus line and minutes walk to a good school and pre kindergarten.

Thought it would be worth look a look as SK did state that he was looking for a house or villa

Hi Chilli

Ah inside knowledge :)
But I'll bet eating my hat that the price estimate provided to them on their listing agreement was higher than the quoted $690K, and would they take $690K now?

Sorry but I'm just jaded by many years of experience here!

LOL reminds me of properties I often see in western suburbs and central coast listed as "$249950 - 289950"

Funny to see agents reactions when you question why the owners won't take $250,000 .....after 20 minutes of running through features and benefits on the property and trying to sell you into the higher price range, most of them say "oh we just put that lower price there to gather interest" after which I hang up on them

Thank you all.

Days ticking by but still haven't found anything yet. Yesterday we went for an open house for a duplex in Cherrybrook (Darlington dr) which we liked and as I was asking questions to the agent, she replied: "Sorry this property is already under offer". I was really angry and asked her the point of having an open house if its already under offer. Apparently she just wanted more interested buyers if the current offer were to fall through !!

Anyway, we also looked up northern suburbs like Asquith, Normanhurst, Hornsby and as usual the good houses in that range are snapped even before an open house.

Apparently, around the castle hill, kellyville area: Land and (Land + Home) packages are snapped up every day. Apparently there is so much demand for land in these areas that Lots that you en-quire today are gone tomorrow. I think it might be due to all investors buying early + all the FHBs buying due to 15000 grant.

So most likely since we've run out of time, we'll be renting for the next 6 months.

Finally, may I ask Jacque and others in the know of the good streets in
Kellyville? Since we are priced out of most suburbs, some houses in Kellyville seems ot be in reach.

Thank you all..SK

LOL reminds me of properties I often see in western suburbs and central coast listed as "$249950 - 289950"

Funny to see agents reactions when you question why the owners won't take $250,000 .....after 20 minutes of running through features and benefits on the property and trying to sell you into the higher price range, most of them say "oh we just put that lower price there to gather interest" after which I hang up on them

There is a certain prominent blue logo'd agency that does this all the time, price range of $x to $y where the vendor will only take $y .

We were actually talking about this at the somersoft meet on Fri night.

Back