85m2 garage/shed conversion to a 60m2 granny flat.

I have this property which has a front house and a large shed at the back of the property.

I want convert this shed into a granny flat

This shed was approved by council as a garage, storage, laundry and workshop. It is of brick construction

While most of the criteria satisfy SEPP requirement, I concerned of the following:

It is total 85m2.

I have seen new GF builds that includes a garage(enclosed, lock up roller door type), and that this space is NOT included part of the granny flat 60m2.

Question:

Is it as simple as getting a schematic drawing done so 60m2 for Granny Flat under SEPP, and 25m2 for garage space?
Would there be any approval issue by private certify with this approach?

Its an existing 85m2 shed, so its not likely i can cut and demolish 25m2

Hi Rich,
Yea you can do it. You just need a wall between the granny flat and the newly crreated 'shed portion'.

Critical considerations :
1. 2.4m wall height to all areas except hallways, kitchen and bath/laundry - they can be 2.1m.

2. 0.9m to boundaries but i noticed this has brick exterior. Just note that eaves/fascia must also be 450mm from boundaries; otherwise they must be fire rated. Colorbond fascia and fibro eaves will do the trick there.

3. You'll need to comply with BASIX (Energy Efficiency) regulations.

4. You'll need some Certificates as follows: Engineer for slab/frame certification, termite certificate, waterproofing certificate, plumber's letter if new plumbing works proposed.

5. Measured wall-to-wall, minimum 1.8m from house to granny flat (unless brick) and 900mm from fascia to fascia (unless metal).

There are a few other critical considerations which you can read about here:
http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/garage-conversion-guide

Brazen.

I thought if the build was under a certain amount ($15,000?) you didn't have to comply with Basix. If its only a conversion it shouldn't be that much?

I thought if the build was under a certain amount ($15,000?) you didn't have to comply with Basix. If its only a conversion it shouldn't be that much?

No. This is a misconception travelbug. All new dwellings (granny flats included) must have BASIX Certificates irrespective of cost.

The BASIX threshold is $50,000 by the way (not $15,000) and this is for alterations/additions to an existing dwelling, not new dwellings. Granny flat conversions are 'new dwellings'.

The only BASIX exemption is for a transporteable/relocateable/modular dwellings BUT these can't be approved under the NSW SEPP because they're not 'buildings' under the EP&A Act. You can read the NSW Planning Circular on this here: http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/planningsystem/pdf/circulars/ps06_018_transportablehomes.pdf

A Section-68 Approval can be sought for these^^ but not many Council's support them. Generally, outer suburban Council's like Blacktown, Penrith and most Country NSW Council's allow them as 'dual occupancy' under Section-68. You'll need additional parking, an access handle and other requirements for this type of approval. Ive done 4 or 5 S68 Applications and they're a challenge because the consent is quite subjective. There's just no guarantee (of success) like there is under the NSW SEPP's numeric controls.

Brazen.

private open and parking space are the 2 biggest concerns in getting approval for Council dual occ.
I had a property that was impossible and ultimately reject for dual occ but fly thru CDC with a private certifier

Hi Rich,
Yea you can do it. You just need a wall between the granny flat and the newly crreated 'shed portion'.

Brazen.
Because most Councils may feel the pinch that the private certifier are taking away alot of their business ( and they're find ways to get this back via S94), I am concerned that Council would challenge any grey areas that is not in SEPP guide, such as a large storage/garage space attached to the GF.

Unlike the 60m2 size, the side and rear boundaries are black n white, but SEPP does not indicate you can have certain/maximum size storage/garage...
Obviously Council are concerned that people enclose or convert this extra storage/garage into habitat rooms...

Because most Councils may feel the pinch that the private certifier are taking away alot of their business ( and they're find ways to get this back via S94), I am concerned that Council would challenge any grey areas that is not in SEPP guide, such as a large storage/garage space attached to the GF.

Unlike the 60m2 size, the side and rear boundaries are black n white, but SEPP does not indicate you can have certain/maximum size storage/garage...
Obviously Council are concerned that people enclose or convert this extra storage/garage into habitat rooms...

The SEPP does indeed prescribe the maximum size (under Complying Development) for Sheds:

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/epi+572+2008+cd+0+N

3.11 Maximum floor area for outbuildings

The floor area of an outbuilding on a lot must not be more than the following:
(a) 36m2, if the lot has an area of less than 300m2,
(b) 45m2, if the lot has an area of at least 300m2 but less than 600m2,
(c) 60m2, if the lot has an area of at least 600m2 but less than 900m2,
(d) 100m2, if the lot has an area of at least 900m2.

outbuilding means any of the following:

(a) balcony, deck, patio, pergola, terrace or verandah that is detached from a dwelling house,

(b) cabana, cubby house, fernery, garden shed, gazebo or greenhouse,

(c) carport that is detached from a dwelling house,

(d) farm building,

(e) garage that is detached from a dwelling house,

(f) rainwater tank (above ground) that is detached from a dwelling house,

(g) shade structure that is detached from a dwelling house,

(h) shed.

Sheds can be attached but carports/garages must be detached. This is bit of a recent change.

Brazen.

No. This is a misconception travelbug. All new dwellings (granny flats included) must have BASIX Certificates irrespective of cost.

The BASIX threshold is $50,000 by the way (not $15,000) and this is for alterations/additions to an existing dwelling, not new dwellings. Granny flat conversions are 'new dwellings'.

The only BASIX exemption is for a transporteable/relocateable/modular dwellings BUT these can't be approved under the NSW SEPP because they're not 'buildings' under the EP&A Act. You can read the NSW Planning Circular on this here: http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/planningsystem/pdf/circulars/ps06_018_transportablehomes.pdf

A Section-68 Approval can be sought for these^^ but not many Council's support them. Generally, outer suburban Council's like Blacktown, Penrith and most Country NSW Council's allow them as 'dual occupancy' under Section-68. You'll need additional parking, an access handle and other requirements for this type of approval. Ive done 4 or 5 S68 Applications and they're a challenge because the consent is quite subjective. There's just no guarantee (of success) like there is under the NSW SEPP's numeric controls.

Brazen.

Thanks for clearing that up. The OP is talking about altering an existing structure so wouldn't that apply?

We converted our 6 bed home into a 4 bed and granny flat by building a firewall and didn't need BASIX.

Thanks for clearing that up. The OP is talking about altering an existing structure so wouldn't that apply?

We converted our 6 bed home into a 4 bed and granny flat by building a firewall and didn't need BASIX.

If it's already a habitable dwelling you wont need BASIX (assuming cost of works is <$50,000), since it's a Class 1a dwelling.

If it's a conversion from a garage/shed into a granny flat you will need BASIX because it's a new dwelling- being converted from a Class 10a outbuilding.

Brazen.

If it's already a habitable dwelling you wont need BASIX (assuming cost of works is <$50,000), since it's a Class 1a dwelling.

If it's a conversion from a garage/shed into a granny flat you will need BASIX because it's a new dwelling- being converted from a Class 10a outbuilding.

Brazen.

Bumper!! Now I just found out in my previous conversion and same type of approval as Travelbugs, my private certifier insisted that I needed Basix, and get the water flow, smoke detector, lighting all certified...All these certification and basix cost does add up close to $1000
That was the last time I used him.

If this 85m2 shed is approved as "Class 1a - Garage Addition" with a Occupancy Certificate already issued by Council. This shed has no habitable bedrooms and kitchen. It just have double garage, storage, workshop, laundry/bath.
But since its already approved as Class 1a with an OC issued, do you still require a Basix if converted to a 60m2 Granny Flat.

But since its already approved as Class 1a with an OC issued, do you still require a Basix if converted to a 60m2 Granny Flat.

No you won't need a BASIX Certificate for a habitable structure being converted from one use to another. You'll just need to submit the old BASIX Certificate for that same space and you're good.

I dont think the OP has a habitable building. He/she is saying "I want to convert (this) shed into a granny flat ". A shed is not a habitable dwelling. Neither is a workshop a games room for example. It's all about the BCA Class.

Brazen.

maybe the term 'shed' it's misleading but it does have BCA Class1a approval.

on another question:
say we convert a Class 1A to a granny flat and new work is under $50k, and we don't require a Basix.
But we also want to convert an external door to a window, or constructing a new window, would this require Basix because of the new window?

maybe the term 'shed' it's misleading but it does have BCA Class1a approval.

on another question:
say we convert a Class 1A to a granny flat and new work is under $50k, and we don't require a Basix.
But we also want to convert an external door to a window, or constructing a new window, would this require Basix because of the new window?

No it wont need BASIX if it's already Class 1a and <$50,000 work done.

Syd West

Hi All
Dug up this thread which is a gem.

I am currently considering converting an approved double garage, into a granny flat.

Have a couple of builders I have contacted and still doing my research.

This is what one builder said -

Don't bother with Council, just go ahead and convert the garage to g/flat, make sure you have electrical/water metres in place and then get it certified at the end as this is the easier option to get it through Council.:eek:
Really..... I am not about to spend $ to find out the project will not get approved. What do you guys think of this???

Anyway, back to doing lots more homework, would be interested in costings (approx.), my guess is double garage would get perhaps 2 beds, lounge/kitchen hoping no more than $40-50K, don't shoot me its really just a guess.

MTR:)

Hi All

This is what one builder said -

Don't bother with Council, just go ahead and convert the garage to g/flat, make sure you have electrical/water metres in place and then get it certified at the end as this is the easier option to get it through Council.:eek:
MTR:)

I am surprised but not overwhelmed with some builder's response...
Regardless going thru council or PCA, they would require structural engineering certificate if it's a garage conversion...
I would imagine it will also call for a Basix which requires points/rating for water, electrical, insulation etc.
Case by case, they will also need waterproofing, pest certificates if a barebone garage conversion..

Virgo has got a quote recently for her garage conversion.. let me dig that post...

Back