A Complete Granny Flat Build

A Complete Granny Flat Build Thread

Background
Near the middle of last year I was ready for my next IP and did a lot of research and number crunching on what kind of IP to get. The main goal was a decent yield/cash flow with CG a close second. Ended up going for a house and GF.

Signed up with my BA (Alan) in early July to find a block in the Whalan, Shalvey, Tregear area with a price of 250-300k and a yield of 6-7% that was suitable for a 60m2 2 bedroom GF.

The Property
In early August the BA found a place in Shalvey on a 592m2 block for 250k that had 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and was suitable for the 60m2 GF. The property was vacant at the time and rent was expected to be $300-310 before the GF and around $290 after. A GF on this block was expected to have a rent of $250. The numbers were ok so offers and negotiations started.

After bit of chest thumping and fist waving the price was negotiated town to 245k with a 42 day settlement. Contacts were exchanged a few days later.

The Team
Being a novice investor with no experience in developments of any kind and not living in Sydney, I need a good team to hold my hand and keep me from doing anything too stupid. This is the team I ended up with.

Buyer’s Agent – Alan Fox (Propertunity)
Mortgage Broker – Peter Tersteeg (PT Bear)
GF Designer/Builder – Serge Panayi (Brazen)
PM – Rosie Dunn from St.Marys Professionals

So far the only reason why this build is going ok and not turned into a mess is the team have all been great and done an excellent job.

The GF Design
As soon as contracts were exchanged I signed up with Serge who did the initial assessment and got back to me with some designs and this is where I made a major mistake.

The space available in the backyard for the GF was limited and Serge gave me 4 different designs that were the best that could be done with space restrictions. The designs varied from 58m2 to 52m2 and that was pushing it. You can see the attached site option 1 and 2.

I ended up choosing a 52m2 design that would involved a shed conversion and moving the GF next to the rear boundary and the sewer which would delay planning until November.

Everything was going to plan until a technical problem popped up and the size had to be reduced from 52m2 to 45m2 or moved further away from the rear boundary. I went for the smaller design. I probably should not have.

My mistake. Clueless owners like myself would try the patience of a saint and Serge was great. Put up with my panic attacks and inability to understand the facts.

The final site plan has been attached. Can't attach the GF plan because of the 3 file upload limit. I'll try to upload that later.

At Present
The house is tenanted with a great family thanks to Rosie and is rented for $300 a week to give a gross yield of 5.9% with a rent raise expected with the first lease renewal after the GF goes up. The numbers are listed below.

$245,000 House
$8,800 BA’s fee
$7,00 Stamp Duty
$3,000 Council, solicitor’s, Building and pest
$264,00 Total Purchase cost

The GF is expected to rent for $260 a week to give a gross yield of 12.2% The expenses so far are
$87,000 45m2 GF
$3,900 Design & Planning
$3,000 For Sewer, peg out, shed approval etc
$2,300 Color bond fence
$800 misc expenses
$5000 expected expenses

If the numbers don’t change, this gives a gross yield of 8.0% for both the house and GF. to PM

The GF is a bit of a squeeze but it is completely separated from the house by a 6 ft colorbond fence so both sets of tenants have plenty of privacy. Hopefully this will make the GF easier to rent and improve the value of the property.

Next
Excavation began today and the GF is expected to be ready to let by mid to late April.

Between now and then gas, some pencil pines and a few other things need to be sorted out. Not sure what but I’m working on it.

Your Comments/Feedback/Opinions
This has been a big learning curve for me and an essential step (small one) in my property investment journey on the way to bigger and better projects. So if you have any feedback/comments on what I've done wrong, what I should have done, what I can/should do etc etc, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Attachments

• Site OPTION 2.pdf
    365.3 KB · Views: 319
  • Site OPTION 4.pdf
    279.3 KB · Views: 247
  • Final Site Plan.pdf
    319.3 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
Hey,
Congrats on your latest purchase.

So some observations:
Seems you missed the $7k council contribution for the GF.
Also how did you get $260/week for a 45m2 granny flat?

Hiya

For me , I think your margins are quite tight :

Total cost of main house : 264K
Total cost of gf: 102K

total :366K
total bank interest say 366K *5.5% = 387 per week

AND
Total gross rent 550 per week
* 80% approximate gives net rent 440 per week

Surplus = 440-387=53 per week.

come some tenancy issues and you end up negative
gotta see where you can reduce cost or increase rent eh?

Why only a 45m flat, surely the site could allow the full 60m?

And why did you have to build near the sewer, and not over the left side of the block and save on those costs ?

size matters:)

Hmmm...i have a 42 sqm gf and i chose 1 bedder (simply due to tenant profile) and after talking to property managers
Even then i feel it is just nice for a 1 bedder..i have a big yard for tenant though...

I can't imagine a 2 bedder:eek: If I had the choice though, i would put a sliding door (like the Japanese kind ) and let the tenant have a choice of 1 bedroom and a big living room OR 1 big bedroom, 1 small bedroom and 1 small living room :p:p

Just my opinion, you don't have to listne to me:p

I'm with Virgo. 2 Bedder on 42sqm is tough. You have 18sqm less than 'standard' 60 sqm gf. That 18 sqm is equivalent to a large 4 x 4.5 sqm room! I would have gone for max size at any cost. Is it the covered concrete restricted the buildable size?

I thought the back setback needs to be around 3m or so. It looks like you are considering the left side as your ‘back’. Is that allowed??
Does your expected cost include the following?
- Landscaping
- Gates
- Cloths line
- Post box
- Electricity & gas connections
- Phone connection
- Council bins
- Final Private certifier fees
- s94 contributions

From cash flow point of view, have you considered following?
- Rent discount during building. It is not easy to rent while you build.
- Water bill issues
- Added building and landlord insurance
- Vacancy periods

If 60 sqm GF is not possible at all then I would partially blame on BA or draftsman! Sorry guys... :D

Last edited:
Gf

Hiya

Oh! Forgot to say the best thing you have done right is engaged Alan Fox...at least you got your Buyer's Agent right!:p

Hi Guys,

Fantastic discussion going on..

I live in Baulkham Hills and trying to add a GF in my backyard. This may be little different to you as I would be living in the front house. I have existing garage structure(roughly 50mtr) which I can convert but also looking at new 2 bedder option(depending on cost/rental yield).

My priority is to get a better rental return and 2 bedder

Can you please give me your views on:

How/where to start?
Old v/s new
builders team etc?

Appreciate your help

Are you legally allowed to rent out the granny flat and the principle place on separate tenancies? Or are you going to rent out the whole property and allow the main lease holder to sub lease the granny flat?

Will you be using a property manager?

Hey,
Congrats on your latest purchase.

So some observations:
Seems you missed the $7k council contribution for the GF.
Also how did you get $260/week for a 45m2 granny flat?
I've been paying fees, bills, contributions as they've been arriving piece meal. A couple have been from the council. What is this 7k council bill?

The $260 a week is based on an estimate of $250-270 from the PM after I gave her the plans for the tiny 42m2. She has been on the money so far and if it turns out to be less, so be it. Not an issue I'm going to worry about.

Oops! and i did not allow for vacancy rates now and then...

But hey! for the first project not too bad:D

My goal was not to get a certain cashflow or be so many dollars positive after taking into account all expenses and contingencies. Historical growth in the area has been >10% annually so CG is "likely" to be good. The boxes on the land (thank you "player") will take care of most or all of the costs. The numbers are a lot better than my previous two IPs and this has been an excellent experience I can build on so I am reasonably :D

Why only a 45m flat, surely the site could allow the full 60m?

And why did you have to build near the sewer, and not over the left side of the block and save on those costs ?
The only way a 60m2 GF could fit is if either the GF wall or the house wall were used as a shared boundary like in the site option 2 attachment. I could not get my head around that so I see it as my major mistake. It happens :eek:

The idea was to have the living area facing north with maximum solar access so there needed to be some space out the front door not a fence. I thought it was worth paying $2,500 for this. Could be another mistake but improved livability should easily pay for the $2,500 in the mid to long term.

I'm with Virgo. 2 Bedder on 42sqm is tough. You have 18sqm less than 'standard' 60 sqm gf. That 18 sqm is equivalent to a large 4 x 4.5 sqm room! I would have gone for max size at any cost. Is it the covered concrete restricted the buildable size?

I thought the back setback needs to be around 3m or so. It looks like you are considering the left side as your ‘back’. Is that allowed??
Does your expected cost include the following?
- Landscaping
- Gates
- Cloths line
- Post box
- Electricity & gas connections
- Phone connection
- Council bins
- Final Private certifier fees
- s94 contributions

From cash flow point of view, have you considered following?
- Rent discount during building. It is not easy to rent while you build.
- Water bill issues
- Added building and landlord insurance
- Vacancy periods

If 60 sqm GF is not possible at all then I would partially blame on BA or draftsman! Sorry guys... :D

Hi Devank, thanks for adding to this post. I've noticed your comments tend to have good value.

Everything done/planned is kosher and allowed so no worries there.

Serge twisted the builders arm and sorted out an excellent deal so the $87k GF cost covered landscaping. The colorbond fence was built with a vehicle access gate and there was already a normal gate so gates done. The $5k for expected expenses should cover the rest but you listed a few I had not thought of so I'll look into those.

Cash flow can look after itself and I not focused on the numbers. The yield is as good as I can get, the PM is doing a great job of looking after the place so cashflow is not an issue.

It is tempting to blame the BA/draftsmen and if they had done a perfect job, a 60m2 GF would have fit. BUT they have to work with a market that does not present ideal choices, time pressure, a client with unrealistic expectatons and more. One point I learnt is that no matter how good your team is, you need to think for yourself, ask questions, double check points and be proactive. For example I could have told the BA to wait for a better choice OR i could have gone for the 58m2 GF OR i could have.......

Learn something new everyday :D, I think I was probably remembering a case where the Granny Flat was not approved. I wonder how they advertise as I am sure the council can see listings online.

If renting as one 'house with sleepout'.

If separate. Do it on gumtree.

I have a situation like that, the for insurance purposes I rent it as one through an agent.

Hi Propetunity and online agent,

Thanks for replying. I want to covert my garage into a granny and that too approved by council. I am looking for somebody who can give me a good advise.

Tried contacting brazer but it seems he is busy and occupied by work. What do you suggest?

Thanks
Amit Taneja

UPDATE ONE

The GF site is now ready for the slab to be poured. Couple of pics of the earthworks attached.

Shalvey and the nearby areas are meant to be "lower socioeconomic" areas but the guy next door with his fishing boat does not agree ;)

Called AGL about setting up the gas and they said I needed to find a plumber and get the following information
-confirmation that the plumber can do a Tee off
-plumber's name
-plumber's licence number
-plumber's telephone number
-a list of gas appliances to be installed in the GF

Then call them back. They said the meter will then be available in 2-3 business days to be picked up by the plumber.

Contacted the builder who gave me the details and said their plumber will take care of the gas connection. Another call to AGL tomorrow to sort that out.

*** how do you get the photos in the actual post itself instead of as attachments???***

Attachments

• ready for slab one.jpg
    ready for slab one.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 217
  • ready for slab two.jpg
    ready for slab two.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 184
Back