A Complete Granny Flat Build

Brendon,

Go with serge's will do the trick and its cheaper than your quote. My son installed mine and the letterbox. I was conscious that the line should not take up too much space

Vicki

Yea i just emailed him - i think we're doing one nearby so Ive asked him to email my builder to go do it for him.

Brazen.

Hi Brendon,

Re the clothes line I got one from bunnings the kind that folds down. I think it is called folding frame. Get the letterbox guy to install it too. I bought posts that cement into the ground and the folding frame slots into it. Remember to put it where it will see some sun.

Great news re the tenant hope you have a long term tenant.

Cheers
Vicki

I used these and had the supplier come and install it.

http://www.qualityclotheslines.net/foldowns.html

The prices are on the website.

These are pricier than the ones serge listed, but installed two of these are my place (existing house + granny flat). Both are still going strong after being installed in Sep 2010 - no sagging lines or twisted metal joins etc.

I paid $185 (clothes line) + $79 (ground mount) + $89 (install) = $353 x 2. = $706 all up thereabouts - i think i might have asked them to give me a discount seeing i was buying and installing two on the same site.

That said, if you got room (and you should check this yourself - not rely on a tradie) for a rotary one - $220 installed is pretty hard to beat.

For me, I could fit the rotary hangers, but they would be smack bang in the middle of the yard and with the minimal backyard space i had, i went with the foldable ones and put them up against the fence - ideally speak with your property manager and get them to be on site and tell the tradie exactly where to put it.

I also went against mounting them straight the building, if its on its own fitting it minimises any potential damage against a building.

Also i would not share a clothes line.... not unless you got some common areas. From the sound of things, everything is separated from each other, so you might as well keep it that way.

After a few hiccups with the certification work and around 3-4 valuations (lost count) I finally have the last of the numbers to finish this thread. Thanks to my MB Pete for his peristence.

Costs
$263,000 House- purchase, BA's fees, stamp duty etc
$3,000 Set Up costs - fence, maintenance, repairs etc
$98,000 GF - construction, planning, approvals, clothesline etc

$364,000 Grand Total

$540 Weekly Rent- $300 House and $240 GF

$340,000 bank valuation made late October

8.2% yield based on purchase/set up costs
$13 net cashflow using an interest only loan of $364,000 at 6% and other cost such as rates and insurance.

Was it worth it and a good idea?
With the aid of hindsight and more education, no. The best choice would have been to buy and keep as much property as I could get my hands on a year ago and ride Sydney's property boom.

As it is, this property is a great addition to my shrunken portfolio and is a good asset to acheiving my long term strategy. The experience from this baby development and stepping out of my comfort zone has also been very valuable and is currently being put to good use.

Thanks To
A great team that included my BA, MB, builder, planner, PM and other SS members for all the excellent help given, advice, hand holding and patience. As small/simple as this GF/House build was, there is no way I could have done it successfully without this team.

$340K with a GF build? Plus the front house in 2770 would have had a fairly good run in last 10 months.

Seems all Valuer are insane conservative of dual occ in western Sydney. What does your desktop Val come in at?

Back