A Current Affair 6-30 Monday CH-9

ahh now i remember that story , thnks for the link Jacquie, yes he did thunder on and take up a lot of the interview as I remember
(enough to frighten the socks off most people I thought,)

I think that Andrea is a very gutsy lady actually,if she has been
through the crusher it must take some courage to keep going,

Pity those programs are so focussed on entertainment value
at the expense of relevent info but thats the media I guess..

I enjoyed the story. Whilst ACA didn't only a basic job of the interview, the advice she gave (if you read between the lines) was something which most experienced investors do, but they tend to forget they're doing it:

1. Self education.
2. Pacience
3. Consider the worst case scenario.
4. Know the market, but more importantly, be prepared to act on a good deal regardless of the market.
5. If you make a mistake, learn from it and apply that knowledge.
6. Buy for land value.
7. Live within your means.
8. Be clear about your goals.

The interview didn't discuss the details of how she got to where she is, but anyone who knows something about property investing can figure that out. Besides, I don't think that that's something that someone can really tell you, it's something you have to figure out for yourself.

Last edited:
I am Andrea's accountant.

In response to Aceyducey Andrea;

She invests over the Perth Metro area. She made an error investing at a time when interest rates in her case went to 23%. An Australia wide event.

She attends every reputable seminar both in Perth and interstate and reads very widely.

She still works because she enjoys working with her clients.

The interviewer looked pretty damn good to me.

My interest rate hit 33% (inc penalties) in 1992.

Investing in other regions brings as many problems as diversification solves.

Stick to what you are good at. Just because it becomes boring, predictable and more profitable is not an excuse to complicate things.

Really folks, this property stuff is pretty simple, just too slow for most folks to plod along with.

Regards

Paulzag

Originally posted by Llew
I am Andrea's accountant.
Llew,

Is there any chance of getting Andrea to pop in here? I think there's a lot of people who would really like to talk to her. If she gets a chance in between full time job, parenting, property management and property research :D

On Andrea from the ACA story. Here are her tips from the Fact Sheet:

Andrea's insight: how she does it
5 May 2003

Here are Andrea's top tips:

Only buy property with a high land content … as a general rule of thumb don't go for townhouses, duplexes or units. Andrea advises that the smallest value of land would be 50 percent of
the purchase price and aim for even higher than that if you can.

Look for properties that are going to cover ongoing costs associated with the property. Andrea doesn't believe in negative gearing.

Look for a property that hasn't been cared for — for instance, the gardens are overgrown or the decor is outdated. These properties tend not to be enticing to most people so you can buy them for a cheaper price and spend only a small amount to bring them up to scratch.

There is more money to be made out of holding the property over the long term rather than trading property.

Look for property with development ability, for example, the ability to sub-divide.

You must decide what you want to do and be very clear about it. If you want to buy property, for example, write that down, focus on it and make it happen.

Don't be put off by the fact you don't have a deposit. Think outside of the square and consider other ways you can get the money. Consider a personal loan or borrow some money off your parents, if possible.

Regards, Mike

Well, I've only ever bought flats and townhouses and getting increased valuations so I'm not convinced about that advice to stay clear of flats and townhouses.

PS If Andrea never married why has her name changed from Sutton to Humberstone? Changed by deed-poll?

[ Edit - I've just split this post into two, with half in the Jenman thread and half in the ACA thread - Sim' ]

Last edited by a moderator:
At the Risk of changing the topic back to ACA :)
I notice there is another story on P,Inv ACA chan 9 this week.
another Lady PI investing story,
Im not sure what night it will go to air.

PEACE
Love & Kisses Steven.

Andrea has been overwhelmed with emails and has spent every spare moment replying to them, she has hardly made a dent in them and is quite stressed at the prospect of replying to them all.

Andrea has never been married. She requested her surname be left out of both interviews. Today tonight made one up for the East coast, in Perth they just referred to her as Andrea. It appears that a different version aired in Perth, it didn't have Jenman in it.

As far as land content, that is how she does it in Perth, this is her strategy and may not suit everyone. She did stress I in the show.

Liew, thanks for the info regarding Andrea, I hope Andrea will find some time in the future to share her knowledge with us all on this forum.

As I mentioned before ACA CH 9 has another story on P Inv, I saw the promo on the weekend but there was no mention of what night it will go to air, could be tonite, for those interested.
Regards Steven

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to this forum. Your story has been an inspiration to many of us. Congratulation on your success. How do you manage to cope with your busy schedules?

Davy

Originally posted by alira12
Hi Steven,

I am Andrea and I have been asked by Llew to respond to this thread.

Hi Andrea,
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for taking the time to respond to this thread, Im sure you are very busy, but would you be able to share with us your method of Prop investing, loan structures, trusts, neg/pos geared ect.
Im sure that a lot of us here on this forum would find it very interesting,
Kind Regards Steven

Thank you for your kind words.

Simply put I work 7 days and I also work until midnight most nights. But I love it so it doesn' t seem like work. Any thing that you do with passion is not hard work.

" no person who is enthusiastic about there work has anything to fear from life" Sam Goldwyn

Hi Steven,

That is a lot of information that you are requesting.

I prefer to buy positive cashflow properties and when they are not I make them that way by doing some thing else.

An example is rent out the large shed to a car enthusiast.
Convert part of the house to a flat.

I hire a room in a hotel every three months and get a group of friends to brainstorm ideas to offer tenants for increased rents.

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

Any chance of getting you and Nivia Pryor together in the same room swapping property stories - THAT I'd pay to see! Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Regards, Mike

Back