A Day in the Life of Lisa (long)

Hi Folks,

Over the last couple of weeks we've been fortunate to read a few peoples personal stories about their experiences so far with their property investments. Another good one has come to light on the UK Singing Pig site: http://groups.msn.com/SingingPig/messageboard.msnw

Lisa Orme has been a regular and prolific poster on a number of sites over the last couple of years. I asked her for permission to re-post this on our forum because to my recollection there has never been a post like this on our forum. It contains many good pointers so I'm sure you will get something from reading this.

Regards, Mike

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

Lea (from Housemouse) asked me to write a diary for her website a while ago and I had half written it and got too busy but after the support I received I thought it would be a nice way to say thanks so she will be putting it on her site soon. So I thought you guys on here might like to read it too. A few people commented on how they like the real life stuff - Lea's post went down well with her 'deal as it happens' so I hope you like this.

A Day in the Life of ……. Lisa

This was a particularly busy day from a couple of weeks ago. The reason I decided to add it to Lea’s site is because I see so many people ask how do they get properties and in particular those empty or scruffy ones we all see in every street.

Got up at 2 am to listen to a US tele-conference with Robert Allen on goal setting and motivation.

Back to bed.

6 am – alarm went off – sun shining – good day to go out and about!

In the office (luckily its at home) by 7:30 am.

Check my e-mails and reply to a few – three from Australia, one from America, eight from some twit who seems to have me on his virus list (free consultation to anyone who knows how to get rid of them – thank god for Norton!) and a number for the business.

I had my first property viewing at 10 am in Coventry. Drove over – got stuck in traffic and arrived about five minutes late – agent had already left!!! I called agency and he came back as he was only up the road. Empty property – the artex on the walls was so thick I reckon the rooms were at least a foot bigger than the details!

Tip:- this is actually from my dad who has been a decorator for 40 years – original artex formulas (we’re not talking plaster that is swirled and made to look like artex – we’re talking original artex products) are often made with asbestos based ingredients. Especially the older varieties and ex local authority properties – bear this in mind when viewing: -

1) you may need to have it properly removed at great cost

2) it could help you negotiate a good discount!

It needed a lot of work. I sat in the car, few quick calculations and made an offer anyway. Up for £69,950. I offered £60k. Agent said she’d contact me later. I called two days later and they were still dithering about the offer – I said I had seen an alternative property later that day and had also made an offer – I would only be taking one. They accepted my offer a week later but I had already been accepted on the other one and decided not to do both. I saved £16k on the other one!

I then went to see some new developers then decided to do a bit of driving around to see what I could find.

I’d had my eye on this one property for about a year. It’s a lovely very good sized double bayed semi detached on a large corner plot – terribly neglected and had been convinced for ages no one lived in it. Last year I did a search on Land Registry Direct and got the owners name – it was at the same address. If it’s empty that tends to indicate a deceased estate which can be a nightmare to track down. I wrote him a letter but to no avail. This time I decided I’d knock on the neighbours house. I was in luck, as I pulled up the neighbour was getting the kids out the car and then I noticed a light on in the property out of the corner of my eye. So I went and knocked – no answer. I knocked again all the time having a good old nose round. Then this guy came to the door – I think he was Roy Cropper’s missing twin brother! If you don’t watch Corrie ignore that one!

I told him I’d seen his property for a while and I just loved it – I told him what a great position it was in and dropped in that I’d love to buy it.

Tip: - don’t put it down no matter how bad it is at this stage – it’s their home after all. Once they agree they want to sell or if its with an agent then you can be more critical to get the price down. I tend to be a bit two faced being complimentary with the sellers and more critique with the agent.

I don’t suppose you’re thinking of selling are you? I said

Actually I am, he replied. It’s too big for me now as I’m on my own and I don’t have time to look after it. Would you buy it he said?

Of course, I said and we can talk about a multitude of ways to buy it – whether you want the cash, an income or both we can sort something out.

I reminded him again of what great potential it would have in the right hands and he said that would be nice to see it returned to its best. I gave him my card and told him I would give him time to think about it as it was a big decision. I said he could call me anytime otherwise I would drop him a line again in a week or so.

I have his details already so a letter is on its way to him – I’ll let you know if I buy it.

While walking back to my car I spotted another potential opportunity over the road. Two houses up for sale next door to each other. One looked a right state and the other pretty good – great comparison I thought. I crossed the road and had a look round – the poor one was very poor – terrible condition. The other one looked pretty good – refurbished and both were empty.

I called the agent for the good one first – it had been refurbed completely by a builder who lived in it while doing it up. He’s now selling – two bed terrace for £81,500. The agent told me it had been on the market for a week and they hadn’t had many enquiries – he said he was surprised as it was really well refurbed and in a popular location. I told him the only way I knew it was up for sale was because I’d spotted next doors board and their board was in fact lying against the house – we joked that I shouldn’t be telling him this so as to keep the other buyers away and he thanked me profusely for telling him – he took my details and said he’d get back to me with some more opportunities – touché!

I then called the agent for the rough one – they wanted £55k – deceased estate and the son was selling. There seemed like room for manoeuvre but depended upon the work required. I asked for a viewing but they were only doing block viewings/open house the next day so I booked in.

As an aside, I went along the next day to discover the roof had completely gone and both floors had caved in, the bathroom and kitchen were non existent, it needed completely gutting. I told the agent about next door and told him if they brought it under £40k I’d be interested. He said the price had been set by the former owners son not the agent! As it turns out it sold a few days later for nearly £75k!!!!! This is a property that requires considerable work and at best will sell for £85k – has the World gone mad?

Tip: - This is why it is so important to do your homework and not get personally involved – its business. Stick to your limit as much with agent sales as with auctions.

Off I drove again. I had a contact tell me about a property going cheap in a good area of Coventry – semi’s typically £100-120k. This one was going for £70k. I had a drive by and it looked in great condition. I called the agent – no board interestingly. It turns out the estate agent is selling it himself – always rings alarm bells that one especially if its cheap. He was upfront with me and told me there had been some subsidence next door in 1979 and when next door was underpinned this property suffered a small crack but no movement since. The inside needing a god refurb and the agent couldn’t be bothered to do it so was looking for a quick cash sale.

Tip:- Large parts of Coventry are built on mining areas, like much of the Midlands. When buying in these areas always insist on mining searches.

I’m still considering this one and several weeks on it is still up for sale. I may well get my builder to take a look with me and as time goes on my offer (lower of course) will look more attractive.

I then drove by another house I’ve had my eye on. Opposite a school, near some shops, good location but terrible condition. Land Registry shows no registration so probably an older person.

It has clearly been broken into and is not lived in at present. I was going to knock on doors but in preparation I grabbed some business cards.

Tip: - not only do I have my company ones but I have had some made; the first say ‘We Buy Houses’ with contact details etc on and the reasons why they should sell privately (to me!) The second cards offer £250 to anyone who supplies me with information that leads to my purchasing the property.

I knocked on one side and no answer so popped my cards through the door. I also popped them through the door of the property itself. I knocked the other side and a lady answered – had a good long chat with her. Perfect for property people – a real busy body, lovely with it, knew everyone and everything. She told me an old lady had lived there for years and had gone into a home so she had let the property out through an agent. She said that a repair/maintenance man used to come every few months and carry out minor repairs however he found it hard to keep on top of the property as it really required a complete overhaul. Eventually he stopped coming. Then the tenants moved out and the agent refused to let it anymore as it was so bad. Now it stands empty. She didn’t know the name of the old lady or where she was, she didn’t know the agent either but described their offices to me as she had been there herself to complain about the state of the garden. I knew which one she meant so off I went to see them.

The property was no longer listed on their files but they kindly offered to search through their archives. They have since contacted me and I have put the offer through to the agent for the property. They are also an estate agent as well as a letting agent so I have offered a small fee to them. They couldn’t strictly speaking charge the lady a fee as I found the property by my own means, furthermore she may not be able to afford it and would be put off. So I felt I stood more chance of getting it if I had the agent on side.

Will keep you posted on this one.

I then spotted another property with a private board outside – not many private sales in the UK especially with boards so I always look at those. Called the number and agreed a viewing in an hour. Went to see a couple of local agents to see what was going and then went back to the private sale property. Nice extended semi, needed a decorating job but lovely kitchen, lots of potential. I had a chat with the owner.

Tip: - Always try to determine the motivation of the seller even when speaking to an agent. Why are they moving, how desperate are they, financial difficulties, family troubles, job move etc. This can help you identify whether a low price is feasible and whether some creative financing could be achieved.

In this instance the owner had no mortgage, he and his new wife were both selling their respective properties to buy somewhere much larger and more expensive. With no mortgage this means that they wouldn’t be that desperate to sell however I could tell that she didn’t like living in what used to be his parents home. She clearly wanted a place of her/their own and would probably nag him until it was so sold so it still offered some potential. I offered them the full asking price if we could do a deal on the deposit. They were really interested especially as no mortgage company involved. They said they would see how much interest they got as I was the first one to view – if they didn’t get offers near to asking they would definitely be in touch. Its still up for sale so who knows….

I returned to the office mid afternoon. Caught up on my e-mails, made some forum posts and wrote a few letters. I spent the rest of the day writing some business plans and goals.

I just thought I’d let you know to what lengths I will go to for property – this next property I have had my eye on for years. I didn’t do anything with it on this particular day but it fits in with the theme. I used to live just around the corner and it’s been empty for as long as I’ve known. Large corner semi. Properties fetch around £120k. This was is in such a state even the squatters moved out!!

I did a Land Registry search and it came up with the name of a lady but at the same address – as I mentioned before often a deceased estate. However, on the title deeds I did notice that a gentleman of the same name had previously been on the title but no longer, furthermore a solicitor in the area was cited as having a caution on the property – very interesting! I put two and two together and decided it was a divorce – the lady had been left the property in settlement and had abandoned it. Now, I contacted the solicitor who sounded mighty cheesed off. They had been contacted many, many times over the years and would not forward anything to the lady in question regarding selling the property and they certainly would not pass on her details. In the heat of the moment they said they couldn’t anyway as she had emigrated to Australia but they didn’t know where.

That was my key – I contacted my friend in Sydney. I took a gamble that she was there – after all most Brits end up in Sydney!! He looked in the directory and there was her name – it was very unusual and she had a double barrelled forename so I was convinced it was her. I got her telephone number and gave her a call. It was indeed her house – she had been left it by her husband when they divorced but she didn’t want to live in it and emigrated with her children.

However, she had given the property to her brother who was supposed to be doing it up. She had no idea it was in such a state and would contact him. I said I wanted to buy it and she said if here brother decided not to keep it she would get him to contact me – he’s in London. I took some photos and sent them to her with a letter and a photocopy of a blank cheque made out for a cash sum to pay for the house. I said I would pay for all legals, etc and write the original cheque out to whoever she wanted me to.

I contacted the solicitor again and told them she had given the property to her brother who would be refurbing it – they were very grateful and said they could now tell people it was not available for sale. That should throw a few people off the scent!

She has told me her brother still wants it but it remains in its ever-deteriorating state so I still wait – you just never know.

As you can see I tend to target the more unusual. Well, not so much unusual but I don’t only walk into my local agents and ask what they have.

I believe that in hot markets especially when properties reach the agents the deal has gone. They do have people in their pockets – I’m lucky to have a few on side but at the end of the day they are paid by the seller not the buyer and it is in their best interest as well as the agents to get as high a price as possible. How would you feel if you hired an agent and he sold your property to a mate at £20k under value for a backhander! I’ve dished out my own criticism of the short sightedness of agents in this market but we all make hay while the sun shines.

Now I may do lots of door knocking and speak to lots of people and who knows how many of these come off but even if none of them do I’ve dropped a few cards through doors; people call and say their aunt, sister, granny wants to sell and will they still get their £250 if I buy? I get to know the areas and the properties, you get all sorts of gossip – did you know the schools closing down, did you know all those houses are going and a new estate of luxury flats is being built, etc etc.

If I do get a deal it’s icing on the cake – the seller has saved time, hassle and agency fees all of which are taken into account with my price and I have a private deal. With private deals you can do all sorts of creative financing when there are no agents in the way.

Therefore, my motto is: -

1) Do it better than everyone else

Or

2) Do it different to everyone else

If you can do both then great.

In this market you have to do it different and I think one way is to spot opportunities before they are even up for sale. Get to the people before they even know they want to sell. As Sir John Harvey Jones once said ‘None of us realised we needed a ‘Walkman’ until one existed!!’

Kind regards, Lisa

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Brilliant, thanks Mike !

I'd love to hear something similar from any of our locals who invest/reno/etc full time. Even a diary of a "buying trip" would be good too.

Would really help a lot of people I think. TW ? GoAnna ? Simon & Julie ? anyone ?

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.1

Great! A few good pointers to put to good use in my own IP search campaign.

I've been getting seriously frustrated with the hot markets around Brisbane. There have been several instances when I've been used as a pawn in RE agents' games to push up the price on properties. No more. I'd rather put in the hard slog and find a property on my own and do a fair deal where both sides are happy with the outcome.

This article has been very helpful. Thanks once again for posting it.

Dan.

Reply: 1.1.1

Hi Sim,

I agree that Lisa did a great job putting that post together and I told her that I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. There are many pointers in it. However, it is easy to be dazzled by first impressions so I've re-read it a few times to see whether there are things that Lisa did that could be done differently. Two issues that I came up with are:

1) Just because a property is listed with a RE agent do you necessarily have to make your offers through that agent or can you still use the Land Titles Office or Local Council to hunt down the owner with the intention of dealing directly with the owner? Lisa did use the Land Registry (Aust equivalent is Land Titles Office in your state) on a couple of occasions for abandoned properties but for those properties that were listed she decided to deal with the listed agent. I felt that put her at a disadvantage because, as we know, sometimes agents have a different agenda and may not give the vendor your offer or they may pass on your offer but say to the vendor that you don't have your finances ready and may have problems settling, which effectively kills your chances of getting that property. My preference is to deal directly with the vendor at all times if they can be tracked down.

2) The other issue is the Offer. Firstly, if we negotiated a price that I was willing to buy at I would want their signature on a Contract or Option To Purchase Agreement straight away. So I would always bring a Contract to the meeting with the vendor ready to sign, as well as a bank cheque of some nominal amount eg $1,000. Always assume you are not the only clever investor after the same property, so I would aim to take it off the market before the vendor receives other offers and changes their mind about you or tries to play you off against other investors.

Another important point regarding the Offer is - is it in your best interest to disclose your offer first? Remember, you always want to buy from motivated sellers which is why you have the Contract with you because if they are truly motivated they should have no problem signing once a fair price has been agreed to. A classic sales technique that I remember from one of the countless books I have read is "Always give your prospect a reason to say yes."
<p>
If you put your offer in first, and they don't like it, you give them every chance to say no. To avoid this, always strive to get the vendor to make an offer first. Many vendors who have made a snap decision to sell are unlikely to know the true value of the property and may understate its price. In this situation, you will create a lot of impact by saying that you will give them an extra $1,000 if they agree to let you take it off the market right there and then. Then produce the Contract and bank cheque.

Naturally, you have to ask them for their offer before they ask you. If they ask you first simply say you need to have a look around the house first to see what repairs or improvements need to be done. While doing the "inspection" ask them what price they were considering selling for. If they still hold out and insist you disclose first, simply produce a document with recent low sales prices in the area, and say that you are willing to buy at the top of that range if they let you take it off the market right there and then. You know the rest. If they still dither about signing straight away, are they a truly motivated seller? Perhaps, in that circumstance it is better to pass up the deal. Remember, you never want to be a desparate buyer.

Does anybody else have any thoughts on Lisa's approach. Can some things be improved or has she got it right?

Regards, Mike
<p>
PS: in response to Kristine's following post I have substituted "Land Titles Office" for "Land Registry"; and "settling" for "closing. Hope that makes things clearer now. Thanks, Kristine, for bringing that to my attention.
<p>
For those wishing to do Land Titles search online simply use the Google search engine and type in the following to get the links: Land Titles Search site:.au or Land Titles Office site:.au

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Hi,

if its okay I thought I would answer myself - although very interested to see what others have to say.

Mike's questions show how important it is to know the rules, regulations and attitudes that apply in your chosen country.

To answer the first point - I do have direct access to Land Registry from my computer and can quickly see who owns a property provided they are registered (registration was only compulsory on transfer since 1988 so vast majority of properties are unregistered).

Anyway, the reason why you have to go back to the agent if there is a board up is because in the UK the agent can sue the seller for their money if they make a private sale. It is nigh on impossible to prove you knew the property was up for sale without the board or newspaper advertising and therefore the seller is liable to pay the agent. Before agreeing to an agent selling your property you must sign a contract and it is rare to find anyone who will take a risk on this point so it is much easier and more respectful of agent and seller to go through the agent.

Furthermore, word spreads very quickly and it won’t take long before the agents know you do the dirty on them and how much chance do you have then? My target area is about 20 miles across and all the agents are pretty much in the same locale it wouldn’t take much to blot my copy book.

To answer number two, this is as much about British attitudes and people’s attitudes in general. Brits very very rarely sell privately - even if you approach them directly they will often go to an agent anyway. It is very common to make an offer and for them to get a few agents round for a valuation and then try to get you to up your offer - happened to me just this week!

You have to stick to your guns so the offer I make is often just below what would be my final offer anyway - if they want to get more and have the hassle and expense of agents and viewings and chains then that’s up to them.

Also human nature can work in your favour - blank cheques for thousands of pounds, letters offering money of a certain amount can be too much to resist - temptation takes over and you have the deal in your pocket before they have chance to think.

Kind regards, Lisa

Reply: 1.1.1.2

Mike

With due respect I am a little confused regarding some of the 'factual' details in posts which cross international boundaries.

As when reading posts on www.creonline.com which is an American site, there seems to be a little cross pollination of terms between UK and Australian phraseology.

For example, since when do Aussies talk about 'closing'? We generally refer to 'settlement', and what is a 'Land Registry'? Yes, yes, I know it is a registry of owners, but in America titles are held by title companies, and the title can be insured against fault or innacuracy, and in Australia since mid 1960s the Torrens system of title registration, whereby the State Government guarantees the title has been the norm. On line registration for title searches can be organised (for a fee) however, since the Privacy Act, you have to have a good reason to ask for owner identification through the local municipality.

>as we know, (do we?) sometimes agents
>have a different agenda and
>may not give the vendor your
>offer (they are obliged by law to do so) or they may pass on your
>offer but say to the vendor
>that you don't have your
>finances ready and may have
>problems closing, (???) which
>effectively kills your chances
>of getting that property. My
>preference is to deal directly
>with the vendor at all times
>if they can be tracked down. ... Mike I personally would not recommend this as I don't think it is a very efficient mode of operation. The vendor may feel very vulnerable and confronted, and if the vendor is elderly or doesn't speak English etc, they (their family) could even apply to the courts to have the contract set aside on the grounds of unfair advantage if it disadvantaged them to continue with the deal.

... I would want
>their signature on a contract
>straight away. So I would
>always bring a contract to the
>meeting with the vendor ready
>to sign, ... it is the prerogative of the vendor to present the contract to the purchaser. You are skating on legal thin ice to try and reverse the roles in this action. Remember, the action of putting the property on the market is an 'offer to treat', nothing more, plus (eg in Victoria)if the vendor does not present the purchaser with a Vendor's Statement sequentially prior to requiring the purchaser to pay a deposit and/or sign a contract, then the purchaser can avoid the sale right up to acceptance of title and payment of settlement. In other words, you would then be offering the vendor a sale on which they couldn't rely. Why open a can or worms which doesn't need to be opened?

Regarding negotiating techniques, although there are a few basic rules, successful negotiators are tuned in to each situation and work uniquely with each circumstance. Lisa demonstrated this very well with her relaxed, warm and friendly, almost gossipy approach. She got lots of background information on each property and casually eased into the negotiating stage. Often, in this part of the process, the money really has no significance. The circumstance itself has to be sorted out legally and emotionally (woman who has 'given' house to brother, old man who can't cope with property anymore) before any nitty gritty can be discussed.

Some negotiations take ages, some minutes, and some just don't get started at all.

Lisa, I thought your post was terrific, and admired your style. We were in Coventry (Tile Hill) a while ago and the disparity in styles, sizes and condition of houses is very noticeable. There seems to be a trend toward larger windows/doors opening to patios, which of course has made outdoor living areas more fashionable, even if you don't get to sit out there all that often (sorry). Some of the blocks are enormous, narrow but very long. In Australia we are busy building dual occupancy and other infill housing, as the suburban sprawl has just about exhausted our ability to service it, and the older areas are losing population due to age and smaller family sizes.

So regeneration as a trading company, which is what you seem to focus your business on, is also becoming a whole sub industry in building and development here.

Thank you for such a lovely long post and such detailed information. As with all business, the devil is in the detail and you seem to know pretty much what to look for, how to network, what constitutes a fair price to them which leaves a fair margin for you. A golden rule in business is to leave a little meat on the bone, and if your referral networking is active and people are obviously happy to refer you to their nearest and dearest, you must be doing something right.

Good luck and thanks for sharing you experiences via this forum

Kristine

Reply: 1.1.1.2.1

Hi Kristine,

many thanks for your comments - much appreciated.

Are you planning on being in Coventry again soon? Do drop me a line if you are.

Yes the cross-country terminology can be confusing - if that's right, or maybe too strong a word.

Its funny I learnt all my early stuff about property from Americans and Aussies - I didn't know anyone here so made all my friends and contacts abroad, even my friends and contacts here are all Aussies!! I would and still do on occasion talk to people with US and Oz slants or terminology and have confused more than one person!!!

I do like to refurb the odd one or two but these strategies are more to get hold of properties that have some value in them before the agents get hold of them. But the main thrust of my business is trying (very trying!!!!) to get wraps and/or lease options going in the UK.

Kind regards, Lisa

Reply: 1.1.1.2.1.1

Hi Kristine,

Thanks for your thoughts which I always consider carefully. I have already ammended my post with correct language for Australia.

The late reply is because I consulted with a property solicitor regarding a purchaser presenting a Contract to the Vendor. His reply is:

"You do not need to wait for the seller's solicitor to prepare a contract. You can present one at the start and keep amending it until all terms are agreed."
<p>
Kristine, the reason I prefer to sign a contract or option to purchase agreement straight away is for the reason given by Lisa:
<p>
"Brits very very rarely sell privately - even if you approach them directly they will often go to an agent anyway. It is very common to make an offer and for them to get a few agents round for a valuation and then try to get you to up your offer - happened to me just this week!"
<p>
Firstly, I don't approach any vendor directly unless it is in response to them contacting me first with the intention of a quick sale. I hope I have clarified that point sufficiently. I don't waste my time putting in Offers with RE agents. A vendor who is selling through a RE agent does so expecting to get best price. My market is vendors who are flexible on price because they want a quick sale. Since they are flexible on price they are prepared to negotiate directly with me and save on paying RE agents commission.
<p>
Secondly, this would not happen to Lisa if she insisted that they both sign the contract once the purchase price is agreed to. If they want a quick sale then I make it clear that I don't want my time wasted as I have other properties to consider. If they want to dither then I will suggest they sell via a real estate agent and they can dither all they like.
<p>
In your reply, you said:

"The vendor may feel very vulnerable and confronted, and if the vendor is elderly or doesn't speak English etc, they (their family) could even apply to the courts to have the contract set aside on the grounds of unfair advantage if it disadvantaged them to continue with the deal."

Kristine, let me clarify that my marketing campaign is designed to target people who, for one reason or another, wish to sell quickly. As you probably know, they are called distressed sales. If they respond to my ad or mailing then they are inviting me to do business with them. Or, to put it another way, they want me to help solve their current financial problem. Before I meet them I state that should I agree to purchase after a preliminary inspection I expect to sign a contract with a five day cooling off clause or option to purchase agreement which effectively takes the property off the market and protects me from being gazumped while I have the place properly inspected. Either they have a contract prepared before my visit or I will bring one with me.

A vendor who is after a quick sale will expect me to have pre-qualified for a loan so "subject to finance" is never a condition and a one month settlement should be ample time to do the necessary searches.

"If the vendor does not present the purchaser with a Vendor's Statement sequentially prior to requiring the purchaser to pay a deposit and/or sign a contract, then the purchaser can avoid the sale right up to acceptance of title and payment of settlement. In other words, you would then be offering the vendor a sale on which they couldn't rely."

If the vendor wishes a quick sale and has not bothered to prepare a Vendor's Statement or Contract and still wishes to proceed on that basis that is their decision.

I recently read a magazine article featuring Fiona Fullerton and something she said made me chuckle: "Once I dealt with someone directly and said, "I'm not paying what you want, but if you take my price, I'll exchange on Tuesday." He did."

Lastly, some property buyers in the U.S. claim to be able to close in two days! Now, that's fast.

Kristine, have you ever negotiated a quick sale/settlement (one month or less)? What were the circumstances?

Regards, Mike

Reply: 1.1.1.2.1.1.1

Lisa,

I said it on another site already, but GOOD POST! really enjoyed it.

Look forward to seeing you in UK in October!

Anybody else here from the UK want to meet up?

Cheers TW

PS: I have been dared by Rob to do a "day in the life", how can I refuse now theres a bet on???...stand by for a long post.

Reply: 1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1

Thanks Nivia - look forward to seeing you too.

Yes, if there's anyone here from the UK drop me a mail to book your place for Freestylers UK!!!

Regards, Lisa.

Reply: 1.1.1.2.1.1.2

Hi, Mike

What a comprehensive post! Preparation is 9 tenths of a job, and I guess by playing Devil's Advocate it may cause a situation to be rethought, and thus better prepared. Consulting legal opinion was a good move, as you are now confident that your actions will stand scrutiny.

I was interested in your comment regarding the motivation of vendors with whom you deal. Loopholes are interesting things, and a vendor who is keen now, may not be as keen closer to settlement, and cast about looking for ways to withdraw from the contract. By having all things done by the letter of the law from the start, there is less likelihood of tears before bedtime later.

In my bitter experience, I once had a purchaser withdraw on a technicality 87 days into a 90 day settlement. The title showed a 'brick, brick veneer or stone exterior wall' provision, and the house had one square metre of decorative timber panelling above the front door. So don't think it doesn't happen. However, we sold the house again two weeks later for $15,000 more, so who was the mug?

Regarding the settlement process, the traditional time of 30 or 60 days, is to allow banks, valuers, solicitors etc time to arrange searches, collate all appropriate information and process the necessary registrations.

In theory, there probably isn't any legal reason why you couldn't meet someone literally at the titles office, receive the appropriate Vendor's Statement (Victoria, Australia) or at least a titles search, sign and exchange contracts (Instruments Act), hand them a bank cheque for the full amount plus/less adjustments for rates, receive a signed Transfer of Title from them, and immediately lodge the transfer with the Titles Office (from memory you have up to 90 days to do this, but while you're there...). You then organise change of ownership details for insurers, rates, etc at your leisure.

If you aren't involving a financier, and you don't need a valuation, and if no other parties are involved, this 'immediate' settlement is certainly feasible.

For some vendors with an empty house it may be preferable. Mike, we may start a new trend!! Just add water - instant settlements!

Hope you're still enjoying your UK stay - we heard from the family that you (UK) had summer one day last week (oh, dear). Seriously, my Mike logs in to the Norwich camera ( BBC lookeast webcam), and observes the weather over the Norwich market at least daily. Have you tried an eccles tart yet? Or how about a nice slice of braun? Don't forget the bent pin for your winkles.

Best wishes

Kristine

Well, perhaps it's not the Devil's Advocate my caution most resembles, but the Furies from Greek mythology? Better that, than the Sirens, luring Ulysses to the rocks.

Back