A Dingo took my Dazzler

Here's the thing. I return to the office after a 10.5 hr mediation and fire up the PC to check emails and SS (among other things). I look for the most interesting thread on here in the last week "Hey Dazzler" about the Woolies chip slip and fall. The thread shifts to the problems Dazz is having with some disenfranchised indigenious youth and blocked drains and proposed solutions ( forum consensus-"sell" - gotta be some wealthy hands off chinese investors to offload it to so they can get their business class immigration visas).

I look for the thread but it is not there. I recall making a post on it but there's no trace in my post history. I search the forums to no avail. Is my blood sugar low and I am becoming discombabulated? Nope - it's gone.

The question is where or why?
2 + 2 = 5 Sim so tell me wassup?

I think it happens some times when threads take a turn the mods aren't happy with. If it's one poster, their post can be deleted, but if lots of partipants are getting stroppy and saying things that are offensive or possibly unwise, the whole thread gets taken down.

The moderators received a request to delete the thread, so it was moved to the trashcan temporarily pending discussion.

I think it happens some times when threads take a turn the mods aren't happy with. If it's one poster, their post can be deleted, but if lots of partipants are getting stroppy and saying things that are offensive or possibly unwise, the whole thread gets taken down.

Not usually - unless the premise of the entire thread is problematic.

We're generally happy to bulk-delete problem posts and leave the rest of the thread in place - we don't automatically remove an entire thread just because there are more than one problem posters.

In this case, as just explained - it was a user request.

Can any user or contributor to a thread request it be deleted or does it have to be the OP making the request?

Anyone can make a request. Whether it will be actioned depends on the context and the circumstances.

We don't just delete threads because someone asks us to - there has to be a good reason.

Off topic but... Seeing you are on line Sim... I have tried to get your attention about the fact some of us cannot upload photos and cannot see our photos. Can you please look into it, pretty please?

We're terrible.....

Why have you crippled my account by disabling features in my profile so no-one can see them? You're a bad man Simon :mad:

So just anyone can come along and request a thread be placed on remand and it happens? Can I at least get a reason as to why my thread was pulled? As Lizzie said, there was a lot of good conversation going on in it.

So just anyone can come along and request a thread be placed on remand and it happens?

Didn't you read what I wrote?

Sim said:
Anyone can make a request. Whether it will be actioned depends on the context and the circumstances.

We don't just delete threads because someone asks us to - there has to be a good reason.

Can I at least get a reason as to why my thread was pulled?

In this case, there was personal information being discussed which impacted on the family of a forum member - I think the deletion request is reasonable.

The thread was moved to the trashcan so that the moderators could consider whether there is a possibility of resurrecting anything from the thread, or whether it all has to go.

My 2 cents worth:

IThought the initial post was having a go at Dazz, seemed to be a bit of tall poppy syndrome
However, Dazz provided some useful information on the risks of multiple tenancy where the landlord is responsible for the common areas

My 2 cents worth:

IThought the initial post was having a go at Dazz, seemed to be a bit of tall poppy syndrome
However, Dazz provided some useful information on the risks of multiple tenancy where the landlord is responsible for the common areas

I think Dazz and I disagree on some points but I try never to attack the person.... only the position.

Dazz is one of the few posters here who goes into warts and all details of life at the coalface so in that sense he is one poster who i hold in high regard (who will be lording it over me on Monday after the Qld state election). If he has overdisclosed information I think the mods are right to remove that info on his request. I hope some parts can be salvaged from the thread.
I raised the issue with Sim because I couldn't even find a "thread deleted" message - hence the Orwellian reference.

I raised the issue with Sim because I couldn't even find a "thread deleted" message - hence the Orwellian reference.

Yes, an unfortunate side-effect of the way it was deleted (moved to our moderator's trashcan for discussion, rather than deleted in-place).

It was a great thread but like a lot of things here on Somersoft you waste your time providing comments only to have the thread deleted.

Sim if you don't mind can I make a request to have my account deleted and the threads associated with it gone. Time for me to move on.

Back