A fair price to paint steel casement windows?

Hi,

I own a 1950's double brick unit (not multi level apartment, single level - so access isn't an issue). The windows are steel encassed.

I recently had the interior painted - the painter did a good job

However, the painter told me from the outset that the paint job would not include painting the actual windows. The wood sorrounding the window yes, but not the actual window frame made of steel. The steel frames are peeling paint very badly.

I asked the painter for a quote regarding the windows - he said that to polish and paint the steel windows, as well as to replace the flyscreen and winder would cost $340 per window. This would mean a total of $1020, as there are 3 windows in question - two bedrooms and the lounge. Note that the bedroom windows are large, over 2.2 meters in length.

Question - is this a fair price?

It is a fair price in my opinion as long as its done well,

It is good he has recommended and offered to do the winders and fly-screens as well,this shows me he is on the ball.

If you think he will do a good job,I would say to him that you are very happy with his work and want him to do the windows,however could he drop the price to $280 a window,that would save you a few dollars and not insult him at the same time.

I also would perhaps look at using a two pac undercoat to save future problems arising.

i wunce did all the large steel windows of a moderately large house.
i was pregnant at the time and not of sound mind is all i can say.
if he wants your first born child to do the workd......pay him.:p

the flyscreens on my windows were also metal and needed endless cleaning along with their edges painted too.

i dont think it is too much if he is doing a good job

Agreed - I think this is a very fair price. Also consider the spend vs outcome. Without doing this work your reno may look unfinished and lessen the reval/sale potential.

Just be thankful you only have 3 windows!

Just ask, but you might be able to save some costs by doing a bit of the prep work yourself.

For another quote, you could try www.windowrevival.com.au. I have sent a few of my clients to them and have heard great feedback.

Good luck - love to see photos when you're finished.

Back